“Lovely, lovely place”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Waterford, Ireland
“Lovely, lovely place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

I've stayed at the Lyrath Hotel half a dozen times, but this was the first time I had a beauty treatment there. It was a wonderful way to end my stay! The beautician, (I can't remember her name, but she's from Estonia) was so lovely to both my mother and myself. It's definitely worth the extra money to have a treatment in such relaxing surroundings. The meals were up to the usual top standard. The staff are always so nice, and the little extras like spacious rooms and balconies are great, even for a short two night stay. It's the sort of hotel that I'd happily lounge around all day, although we did go into Kilkenny city for a few hours. I'll definitely be back (a loyalty scheme would be good!).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony (it may cost extra, I'm not sure). Facing on to the conservatory...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Maria R

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following your recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout. The team are always pleased to be recognised for excellent service and have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind comments.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate again in the near future.

Iain Gray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Donegal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Loved every minute of our stay over midterm break. Stayed 2 nights on dinner b and b. La perla restaurant was just delicious and we really enjoyed it. Only thing I would criticise is that we were asked if we wanted sparkling or still water as we sat down (as if it came with our dinner) but were then charged 4.90 for it which is very expensive for water! Pool and changing rooms were on the small side but overall its a fab hotel and well run. We would definitely recommend it and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear amroarty

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a 2-night B+B and 1 dinner package. As it was school mid-term, the hotel was full of families with young children, which was initially disappointing, but did not spoil our stay. Reception staff were efficient and all service was professional and friendly. The bedroom was spacious with a 6ft bed and a bathroom with bath and a great shower. Dinner in La Perla restaurant was very good and the buffet breakfast was the best I have experienced in Ireland, despite being very busy - again - well-trained staff! Pool is small and the spa was booked up, so did not get to try it. Surprised that Tuppers bar (only one open) was so small and lacked character. The fire should have been lit at least to give some atmosphere. Overall happy with quality of stay. Couples should avoid during school holiday periods, as I sensed it is very popular with families who seem to stay regularly!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on lowest floor - route to the pool!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear wherenext

Clonmel, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Recently stayed at the Lyrath Hotel & Spa. This is a lovely hotel, the bedrooms are very nicely finished. Although, we thought the leisure facilities are quite small. Had dinner in the restaurant which was very nice, the steak was beautifully cooked. The thermal suite is a really relaxing experience but this is only available for an extra fee. Loved the breakfast which has a good range. The staff are very helpful and friendly. Recommend it if you wish to stay near Kilkenny.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TheresaBR

Clare, ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I am just back from a very disappointing stay at the lyrath this weekend. This hotel is totally over rated and overpriced. I had so much research done before deciding to go with the lyrath and it was a major let down. Check in was so rushed by a manager who didn't explain anything about kids club or the complimentary cookies and milk so kids missed out on this on first night. The kids club was free but I was charged 10 euro so how many more families got caught with this charge??? Kids return to kids club as they didn't enjoy it.

Food in tubbers wasn't great chicken Cesar wrap had more croutons than chicken in it and had to wait an hour for table.

Spa treatments were ok. We got 20 percent off but my husband went for his treatment first and was charged full price for treatments although he enjoyed his but ended up rushing back from it as the Clocks hadn't been put back and I was due to go for my treatments after him. When I asked about discount it was up on there system but they didn't see it?? When girl showed me to relaxation room she spoke loudly telling me while other clients were in there. I asked the girl if I could have facial with the chemical peel she was surprised as she had presumed that I wanted to have the vitamin c without sen skin type etc.

When we attended yindees for dinner at 6 o clock on the Monday eve we were told that our reservation hadn't been made but that they would take us as they weren't that busy? 4.90 for bottled water no choice if we wanted bottled of jugged tap water. Food was nice and we did enjoy it and had nice seats overlooking the lobby.

Cushions on bed had chocolate stains on them. Kids beds were up against window so my son woke on first night because he was cold so had to put him into our bed. Daughters pillow was wet from condensation on the window coll.

Swimming pool is very small so kids only availed of this once not much room for playing games.

When I was checking out I explained to the night porter who was covering reception about been charged the ten euros for kids club I felt like he thought I was trying to con him. He never asked how the stay was if we enjoyed or stay or if everything was ok for us. Any threes/ four star would ask this.

The overall cost of stAy was very expensive and it this day and age you have to work hard to earn the cost of nice weekends away and ended up been bitterly disappointed. I emailed the hotel when we returned home and I have not heard from anyone in regards to my complains.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear BernieF

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stopped here on our way home from Kilkenny to have a look around. We intended to just have tea and a scone but upon seeing the menu for tuppers bar we decided to have our dinner. Were we glad we did! :D The food was amazing. I had seabass and it was the best sea bass I've ever had. It was presented on orange segments and salad with a red pepper sauce which was amazing. The steak was equally as good and the mash potato was really good. We were delighted that we stopped here. It was a shame that the rooms were all booked out for the night but we will definitely be back to Lyrath. Amazing place.
We had a look around the old house too and it was beautiful. Such a fabulous place. Staff were so friendly and the food was great value for money. Decor in the hotel is amazing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Trionad1992

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

The hotel itself was lovely just like any other hotel. However it did not feel like I was in a 5 star hotel. When we went into the spa for our treatments, we were ignored and left standing there. We had to ask where to go and what to do. Staff were complaining about a customer right in front of us. We went into the thermal suite which was lovely and relaxing and then I was called for my pedicure. I went into a cold, silent room with no relaxing atmosphere at all. The lady doing my feet did not talk to me once and the pedicure made no difference to my feet as they were not scrubbed nor filed. It was meant to be a luxury pedicure which would have cost €70. I stressed my disappointment in the way we were treated when we first arrived into the spa and the lady did not even look at me to apologise just tapped away at her computer. It let the whole experience down.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sinedublin

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes