“4 STAR HOTEL - DON'T EXPECT 5”
Review of Lyrath Estate

Lyrath Estate
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed October 14, 2013

1. WiFi didn't work in the room and for a hotel of this calibre (and price) that's a huge no-no. A point off for that.
2. I rang the front desk repeatedly over the course of 2 days and the calls went unanswered. That's not 5 star service. That's very bad service.
3. Food in Yindee's was delicious but was ridiculously oversalted. It was delicious but almost inedible because of the salt. Doesn't the chef know that soy sauce is very, very salty and there's no need to add even more?
4. The breakfast fayre, though plentiful, was of poor quality. The sausages were particularly nasty being very cheap, almost all cereal and were disgusting. Two softly poached eggs were requested by both of us and both received HARD poached eggs.
5. TV picture in room was very poor with very small choice of channels.

We went on an Irish Times special offer deal which was very good, but I'm glad that I didn't pay full price for the rooms. The hotel is very nice, no doubt about that, but...it was unexciting and I thought, just lacking in excellence and love. I'll have to give it 3 out of 5. Would I recommend it? Yes. If you got a deal. Would I return? No.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Dear Cartagia

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes

Iain Gray

Write a ReviewReviews (2,551)

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We got a gift of this overnight stay at this fab Hotel & my God it was wonderful... We could compare it to the caribbean cruise ship we were on recently... This Hotel has it all,we did not want to leave! We will be back... It was our first visit. The friendly staff were the icing on the cake.....

Dear Blossom 117

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following your recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout. The team are always pleased to be recognised for excellent service and have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind comments.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate again in the near future.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

My friends and I stayed in the Lyrath for a night away on 11th August on a B&B and 30min spa treatment package.We had a great time helped by the friendly service of all we encountered. Check in was efficient & before we knew it we were robed up drinking juice in the spa. My Thai masseuse did an amazing job in a full 30 mins & then we sat in the thermal pool & gazed at the gardens. If I could make one suggestion it was that they refresh the. Relaxation area more frequently - lots of towels still on chairs with the owners long left the facility. My room was #134 which was clean and fresh (almost devoid of the usual wear & tear you expect in hotels) and was well stocked and supplied for a comfortable stay. Across the corridor the rooms opened out onto a paved area so maybe for some the odd numbers would be better but it made no difference in my case. We ate in Yindees restaurant, which was very good on this occasion (I have had mixed experiences) with excellent food and service & then had a cocktail in X bar (aeromintinis are like a dessert & cocktail in one :-). The following morning the staff in the spa went to great lengths to accommodate my friend for another treatment, taking her number and then ringing her as soon as there was a cancellation. The rest of us walked the trail through the grounds. Breakfast was busy but good -everything you could need supplied. I didn't use the pool. Location was perfect for us but it is a 5 minute taxi ride to the city. Overall we had a wonderful experience & I think all of us would be delighted to return! We booked directly with hotel & they were better then any offers I found online.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sunshiniest

Dear Sunshiniest

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Beautiful property and lovely rooms. Views were great and breakfast was exceptional. Our only complaint was the distance to Kilkenny - we didn't realize how far we would be from town. If you like to walk from your hotel to attractions in town, this is not the place, especially if you like to enjoy a few cocktails while you're out. We should have cabbed it, I suppose. But we had a car so... All in all, we enjoyed our time at the Lyrath and the staff was very good.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Barbara J

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I went with my husband for a rest as I'd been working really hard. From the entrance it was beautiful. The reception was great. The porter was friendly and showed us around. The room was great as we got an upgrade with a balcony. Breakfast was excellent. Dinner in the Thai restuarant was good but the maitre d was snooty. Had a spa treatment best I had and spa is lovely. Downside was no hot water to have shower after treatment. Third day we went out and returned at 3pm disappointed to find room not cleaned as I wanted to change. Had to ask for room to be serviced. Overall it was a really lovely experience.I wish I could go back tomorrow.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear mari_ann_7

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Just back from our third stay in the Lyrath. We arrived at the hotel at about 3.15 and we were greeted by a lovely receptionist. We did not think our room would be available as check-in is not til 4 so we were pleasantly surprised when we were advised that the room was ready.
We had dinner in Tupper's Bar on the first night and we could not fault the food. The second night we ate in La Pearla and the meal was fantastic, as was the presentation and service. The breakfast in the Lyrath is excellent as the choice is so vast. Our second morning we both decided against the full Irish and I went for Eggs Bendict and my husband for the Healthy Omelette. These options are freshly cooked and brought to the table-neither of us had any complaint as both were very nicely cooked. As I said this was my third visit which I thoroughly enjoyed and I will definitely be returning

Dear bigIrishMac

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed in this hotel in August of this year and came away bitterly disappointed with the overall experience.
It began with check in which ws a riot- as checkin is not until 4pm so everyone arrived circa this time. As reception area is quiet small it quickly becoame over crowed with children running aorund and cryin, absolutely no privacy at check in.

Porter accompanied us to our room and I couldnt help notice that most of the rooms were still being cleaned which was strange as it was after 4pm.

Breakfast was the worst experience of all- had to queue again to check in and be shown to our table. Breakfast was buffet service and although te food was allright, the noise and number of children running around was anything but relaxing. It was like an obstacle course juggling returning to our table while carrying our food.

I could go on and on but it just makes me angry when I think of the overall experience.
This place is living on past glory and is definitley not a five star hotel

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Fiuise

Dear Fiuise

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes