“Under awed and disappointed”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Our nite had been organised in advance, a girlie nite away with pampering and good food. As soon as I got to the reception desk I felt that my €160 one nite stay was not going to be as 'amazing' as I had hoped. Even though it was after 3 our room was not ready, when I produced my visa debit card I was told I needed a credit card...in a voice that sounded pre-recorded. When I arrived one of the party had already ordered the afternoon tea, it did look very appetising. Our treatments were at 4pm so we went to the Oasis Spa. We filled in some forms and were brought to the waiting room...we were not shown any of the other facilities. My therapist (Amanda) was lovely and very professional. The 30 minute treatment however did not last 30 minutes and I felt that I was rushed out. Our dinner at La Perla was the worst part of the evening. I ordered mussels - they were over cooked. My mains was sea trout with fennel. The fennel was tasty but the trout was left 10 minutes too long or had been on the pass far too long, either way it was inedible. I told the waiter who didn't bat an eyelid and simply took the plates away. The waiters didn't chat at the table, we were there to be fed, not entertained? My friends dinners did not live up to expectations either, a medium steak was well done and the sea bass suffered the same fate as the trout. I didn't have dessert but the rest of the party did and apparently they were lovely. Overall I was disappointed, it was like a conveyor belt of guests and not an ounce of soul to the hotel. Come to Lyrath for afternoon tea or a meal midday, do not come for the nite. I will not be back.

1  Thank Elizabeth B
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Dear Elizabeth B

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes

There are newer reviews for Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Myself and partner are just back from our stay in this gorgeous hotel, Everything from the hotel grounds/decor to the amazing staff were of 5 star standards. I went for a massage whilst there and upon arrival to the spa I was met by a therapist by the name of Stephanie. She was so pleasant and professional and couldn't do enough for me while I was in her care. I could not recommend her high enough if I tried, she is most definitely a credit to the lyrath estate.

Dear Dmilla

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following your recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout. The team are always pleased to be recognised for excellent service and have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind comments.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate again in the near future.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Recently stayed one night. Our room was not nearly as luxurious as those shown in the picture, but the hotel was very lovely. Staff was extremely accommodating, Did not have the room we were actually expecting but were moved twice to accommodate us. When you book two rooms you do expect them to be next to each other. Pub restaurant was very nice with nice wide windows for the view. Breakfast was probably the best we had in Ireland. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Travelbell

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed with my husband for 2 nights for our 10yr anniversary, we stayed in room 41 which was in the old house and it was so luxurious and comfortable. The staff were very friendly especially the staff in the La Perla restaurant, very efficient. The only flaw were the changing rooms in the swimming pool, they weren't very clean when we went to use them. Other than that I would highly recommend this hotel, will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Shirley K

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I recently stayed in the Lyrath with my family to celebrate my brothers birthday. I must say, it was a plesure as all of the staff were very friendly and the service was outstanding! At the door we were greeted by a lovely man named Tom. He took our bags and walked with us to the front desk to check in. He then brought us to our rooms. The room was gorgeous with a view looking over the grounds of the hotel. That night we dined in Yandiees Thai restaurant. The staff there could not have done more for us. The food was so fresh and top quality. The next morning we had breakfast and again it was perfect. We will be returning to the Lyrath no doubt. It is defiantly money well spent!!

Dear Aife90Travers

Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Pretty old house is core of the property then it's like a designer went a little crazy in the place: Roman statues next to a New Orleans style brick wall with jazz musician prints leading into a Classic Irish Pub area which is the best part of the place but quite small 3 chairs the bar). Nice back porch looking onto lawn. I went on a convention/ meeting.
Food was good. Room was very nice. It was fine for a convention but I'd not stay here on vacation on my own dime. A bit removed and honestly....a bit boring.

Dear Travelmaster6456

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes

Reviewed September 24, 2013

While we stayed for just one night recently, I would like to compliment everybody at Lyrath.
On arrival, we were upgraded to a ground floor room with terrace which was top class.
In the afternoon sunshine we sat outdoors and enjoyed our champagne and strawberries,
while watching the birds at the lakeside. Next day, my partner had a Spa treatment at the Oasis Spa, shoulder, neck and back massage and she says it was the best ever. Having a treatment
entitled one to complementary use of the Thermal Suite and Hydrotherapy Pool.
We did'nt eat at Lyrath this time but we are looking forward to the le Perla Restaurant next time.
Staff were great, facilities excellent and relaxation most enjoyed.

Room Tip: Room with terrace is great.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple