“Great staff”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Just back from a three night stay in the Lyrath.. From Diane who took my reservation and advised me on the most suitable accommodation for our family of two adults and three children, to the receptionist I checked out with, everyone was so friendly. We had a "luxury suite"... It was very large and modern with a luxurious bathroom. The kids had their own separate toilet. The bathroom products were really good and there was no shortage of towels or waters in the room. Although the hotel was full our room was very quiet. Breakfast was hassle free with a really friendly supervisor who greeted us each morning and showed us to our table. They had 350 guests for breakfast the second morning which they handled easily without fuss. The kids used the in house cinema, the paddle boats and the bikes.. All complementary. We ate in the Thai restaurant the first night it was lovely with a very good kids menu. The following two nights we ate in tuppers bar, again it has a very good kids menu not the usual junk food you usually see. The adults meals were really good. I had three treatments in the spa which was the highlight for me.. Again the staff were lovely and the thermal infinity pool was hard to leave! The only petty thing I would say is that the relaxation room never had any relaxing music playing... I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Double C
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear Double C

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor Following your recent stay with us at the Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

Thank you for choosing Lyrath Estate as your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Kilkenny. It is very rewarding to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your short break with us at Lyrath estate and found the service and standards to be excellent throughout.

Our greatest asset is of course our excellent team and it is very rewarding to receive such excellent feedback regarding the team and the service and standards they provided throughout your stay with us.

We are blessed with stunning surroundings and first rate facilities and I am pleased you were able to fully enjoy all aspects of our extensive estate, and the beautiful environment of the original Lyrath House.

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

In my opinion this is the only hotel to stay in if visiting Kilkenny. Stayed with two young children & found the hotel to be really child friendly with LOADS of activities to keep the family entertained. Offer free bike rentals, paddle boating on the lake, children's playground, kids club, swimming pool and beautiful walks through the estate.

Staff are super friendly and couldn't do more to help. Ate in restaurants and Tupper's Bar which was delicious and were really looked after by our waiter Pedro.

Hotel is spotless and rooms spacious and bright. Despite hotel being full and clearly having a lot of children we slept peacefully every night. Well insulated walls!

Kids club was great & the guy organising it was so enthusiastic each evening. They also do a children's tea from 5 - 7pm each evening.

The only down side was that to use the spa facilities costs €30 per adult. Felt this was a bit steep.

Will definitely be returning to this well run hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear SW1010

Thank you for choosing Lyrath Estate as your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Kilkenny. It is very rewarding to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your short break with us at Lyrath estate and found the service and standards to be excellent throughout; it is also very pleasing to note that you found the hotel and its facilities to be child friendly, and that you enjoyed our newly launched kids club.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Just came back from a 2 night stay for my husbands birthday. The old part of the hotel is nice with lots of lovely rooms to explore/use. We went with our 3 yr old daughter and 4 month old baby hence we needed a few extra services to make our stay stress free.. It is a child friendly hotel but not on a par with Kellys resort. The staff were good at taking our steriliser down to microwave(twice a day) and bringing it promptly back to the room and the room was executive so we had a bit more space for the put up bed and a cot. It would have been nice to have a proper fridge and microwave in the room( or a room to use these appliances like Kellys have). It wasn't ideal using bathroom tap water for bottles(as advised by staff) as at times it came out quite cloudy so i ended up buying mineral water in local shop.
Some of the staff were friendly and attentive but some were not and one guy on the reception desk sent me walking round the hotel looking for the kids club. The welcome on arrival wasn't 5 star and no maps were given or details of services. We had lunch in Tuppers which i was warned was expensive- which it was. The food was nice but way overpriced. the staff unfriendly and the floors needed cleaning and i got an overall impression of grubbiness which you don't expect when you are paying eight euro for a childs lunch that doesnt even come with a drink or dessert!!
We had a nice time, and there is lots to do for children but the service needs to be improved and the food prices/room service prices reduced.. also lastly, i thought it highly unprofessional that the kids club staff (all 3 of them ) were eating sausages and chips from the hot plates when they were meant to be attending to the childrens dinners and activities....they also made reference to not wanting to be there.

Room Tip: ask for an executive on floor 1 if staying with children
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank st0rm47
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear stOrm47

Thank you for choosing Lyrath Estate as your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Kilkenny. It was of course disappointing to learn that you felt that we let ourselves down on various aspects of service and I am sorry that you were left feeling that the welcome and service in general were lacking. I do take on board your feedback and will use it constructively to address the areas highlighted. I was particularly concerned to learn that the company tasked with providing the children’s club were seen to be eating during the high teas, please be assured that this has been addressed directly with our supplier and is taken most seriously.

I am pleased to confirm that we do have full details of services within our guest directories and have ordered a reprint of our very popular resort maps which should be with us within the month.

I am glad that overall you had a nice time and i welcome the constructive feedback you have offered regarding the service provided by both my team and the kids animation team, I have and will continue to focus on the areas highlighted with the explicit aim of continually improving the service we provide.

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in August 2013 with our 3 children aged from 8 to 11.We booked direct and the hotel reccomended a suite with 3 camp beds for our kids.This was perfect,the rooms were large and the beds comfortable.The rooms are new and finished to a high spec,with a great shower room.It was a very quiet room although the hotel was full.The Lyrath is a modern build(incorperating the old manor house which is decorated in period reproduction) and has a fine pool and spa.The in house food was excellent (although the Thai chooses to charge 20% more than its branch in Kilkenny !).The staff were superb and obviously well trained to deal in a friendly manner with old and young alike.There was plenty of attractions for our kids and the hotel was a great base to visit Kilkenny castle and other excellent family attractions in the area.Overall highly reccomended .

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear DDHAWK1

Thank you for choosing Lyrath Estate as your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Kilkenny, I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your time with us and found Lyrath estate to be the ideal venue for your family break. It was pleasing to note that you found the accommodation well appointed and comfortable, and I am glad you were able to take advantage of the great range of kids activities whilst with us.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the service provided by the team who were delighted to look after you during your stay with us. I do hope to welcome you back to the Lyrath Estate the next time you return to Kilkenny.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Upside :

The room was lovely and peaceful and quiet and beautifully laid out. The view from our room on the 4th floor gorgeous.

We stayed there with our daughter. Who loved the Kids Club. She was so excited about going to the Kids Club every day. The staff in the Kids Club were lovely.

We had lunch there bagels and smoked salmon salads etc all very nice.

The breakfast was nice the poached eggs good. The Guinness brown soda bread great.

I liked the free WIFI that was good.

Downside:

Breakfast was good but really busy. The staff were a bit loud one shouting to the other across the dining room floor. You want a quiet breakfast it was like being in a rowdy hall of residence in college. Perhaps have a 'quiet area' for guests.

The Hotel advertises the infinity pool. But the infinity pool is in the spa (Beauty Salon) not in the Gym/ Swimming pool area. You can only use the infinity pool EVEN when you are a guest if you are having a treatment unless you want to pay 30 Euros. I thought this was a bit much.

Outside when we were unpacking and packing to check out of the hotel there were swarms of wasps. Really 8 wasps in and around our car. It was annoying. There must be a hive at the front of the hotel for there to be that many around. It needs investigating and removing as people will get stung.

In the hotel bar we waited at times quite a while to get served.

Big long queue to checkout.

A small pool for the size of the hotel and lack of infinity pool near the main pool area. Also it does not open until 9 am every morning. Any corporate guests you can forget getting a swim in before work. The gym was very poor in terms of the amount of gym equipment/machine. For the size of the hotel and the number of guests its quite light.

They have the Irish Times as the newspaper dotted around the hotel. I was interested in the racing commentary in the Irish independent. I asked the short grey haired woman with the glasses in her forty's have you got the Irish Independent. She told me in no uncertain terms we don't have that newspaper here! Well I was not exactly asking for The Sun I mean we are in Ireland and I asked for an Irish Broadsheet. Very strange response. Very odd. She was not in the least bit polite about it. She also never made any eye contact with guests when passing them and quite often people were trying to catch her eye to ask for a drink etc the bill.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ManchesterReviewer62
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Manchester review

Many thanks for taking time out to share your review with us on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

It was rewarding to learn that you had a very nice stay and found the hotel to be lovely, and I am glad that although breakfast was busy that you enjoyed the food thoroughly; it was also pleasing to note that you enjoyed the newly launched kids club.

I appreciate the feedback regarding the charge for the use of the wet area of the spa, I am pleased to note that we have reduced the charge to €15 from September; We feel that the use of the pool relaxation areas, sauna, steam room, unlimited mineral water, teas, coffees and healthy nibbles with an unlimited time allocation represents good value for money.

Regrettably we had the same problem as the rest of Ireland over the period of your stay, namely the dreaded wasps. Although we consulted with experts on this matter they confirmed our fear that this was not simply the case of a nest – rather that the issue was endemic.

I fully take on board the comments made regarding your request for an Irish Independent newspaper, please be assured that this has been dealt with in the appropriate manner.

Thank you once again for sharing your views with us, I do hope I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here and a great base for visiting Kilkeeny but the hotel is lacking something. I think it has lots of potential and it hasnt made the most of the extensive grounds which surround it. Our window view was over the pond and large grass area at the back of the hotel which needs some investment bfore anyone would consider wanting to take a walk around.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Snodman

It was rewarding to learn that you had a nice stay, and equally it was disappointing to learn that you felt the grounds do not meet their full potential. We view feedback as a gift, and will fully embrace your comments in our future investment plans for the magnificent grounds of the estate.

Thank you once again for sharing your views with us; I do hope I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We held our wedding reception in Lyrath in May 2013 and had a really wonderful experience! Our experience of the hotel staff and facilities was excellent from our initial visit, while considering possible venues, to check out two days after our wedding. The level of friendly, courteous & efficient service we received never wavered from beginning to end of our contact with the hotel. Our key contact was Operations Manager Terry who is a complete professional and lovely guy. Terry was enthusiastic and so helpful in all of our contact with him and was incredibly accommodating in delivering on literally every request we made of him. He was on duty from the crack of dawn on our wedding day and was so calm, fun and helpful all morning. We choose the Lyrath as our wedding venue partly because of our wish to provide really good quality food to our guests. We were delighted with the quality of all of the food and drinks served throughout the day. In addition, the level of service provided was exceptional, and we had hugely positive feedback from our guests on both the food and the excellent service throughout. The Lyrath provides a dedicated wine waiter during dinner and this really adds to the continuity of service. In terms of facilities, all of the reception rooms, patio terrace where we held our drinks reception, and the function room where we ate dinner are lovely. The quality of bedrooms is fantastic throughout the hotel and breakfast is smashing, so in terms of guest accommodation this is a really great venue to invite friends and family to visit. The bridal suite is out of this world and was more than spacious enough for all the wedding morning preparations. We couldn't recommend the hotel more highly as a wedding venue!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear AlfieQ

I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful experience and found Lyrath to be an excellent Wedding Venue; it is rewarding for all of to know that you regarded the quality and friendliness of the service provided by the team to be second to none. I have passed on your kind comments to Terry who has asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind words. The food and beverage team were also thrilled to be recognised for the excellent quality of the food and beverage provided.