“Maturing well”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
ireland
“Maturing well”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2008

Lyrath seemed all a bit too new when it first opened - it was very plush, but seemed to lack character; the huge lobby area seemed impersonal and threatened to turn the whole experience into just another convention hotel. The good news is that the place has settled down remarkably well: staff are exceptionally friendly and professional and the food is excellent and much better value than one often finds in this kind of hotel (although the wine list is uninspired, and the notion of going down to a wine cellar to choose your bottle is a bit of a gimmick - it's hard to read the labels, and there are no tasting notes which would make it a more meaningful exercise). The swimming pool is a pleasure, with floor to ceiling glass windows on two sides, and a nice sense of swimming towards the hedgerows at the "infinity" end of the pool. The comfortable loungers make it a pleasant place to spend some time, reading or contemplating. Lyrath is close to Kilkenny city where anyone at all interested in wine should seek out Le Caveau, one of the best wine shops in Ireland and a holy grail for Burgundy.

Stayed June 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2008

WOW!!! Lyrath Estate has totally raised the bar. I hosted an event and was recommended the Lyrath by a business partner. All aspects of this hotel are magnificent, from the, decor, setting, clean crisp rooms, delicious food and most importantly the customer service. I read the brochure after my stay and noticed that Lyrath "is dedicated to meeting perfection" at all times. The Lyrath delivers in all its promises of excellence within the brochure. What makes the Lyrath different is the attention to detail and the small things that exceed your expectations. Its very rare that you find a place such as this. All the staff are friendly, welcoming and professional . When you walk into the lobby, it is easy to relax with the music and the surroundings. In fact I was surprised how comfortable and at home I felt, and that this was a new experience for me. Well Done Lyrath. Fantastic.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2008

I was celebrating my 30th birthday and my partner wanted to do something a little special.

We had stayed in other 5 stars in Ireland before, and having seen the Lyrath hotel on the television thought we would investigate what they had to offer.

I read trip advisor weeks before deciding to stay at Lyrath. There were mixed reviews and as such was a little cautious when planning on staying there. So I did what most people probably wouldn't do in this situation - I rang the hotel to find out more about them and to see if they could make my visit a special one -given the reviews I had read about them on TA.

I spoke with the GM there, Patrick Joyce. Having spoken with Patrick on the phone prior to my booking, and really feeling he was there to make my stay a special one, I decided to go ahead and book my 30th there.

On arrival after driving up the amazing private entrance I was greeted by Tom, the super nice gentleman on the door - and this I new was something I would remember. A jolly smile and a warm greeting - that I felt was really genuine.

Myself and my partner are vegetarians and this can sometimes limit us with choices when it comes to eating out - I had mentioned to Patrick on booking that we were both veggies and he assured me we would have a great choice of meals. He wasn't wrong - we actually had two dinner MENUS created for us - with our names on them specifically! Wow did we feel special! And that's not taking the lime light away from the birthday cake and singing that I received after the meal! All this because I took the time to find out more about them – they took it upon themselves to go above and beyond in providing me a birthday I wouldn’t forget.

A few people may have expressed problems here on Trip Advisor whilst staying here or anywhere else - but if you don’t tell the hotel when you are there they can't help to make your stay better! I for one won’t take all negative comments on face value. The good comments outweighed the bad - but it is the bad ones that seem to stick. Contact the hotel and have a chat with them if you are concerned - I am glad I did.
This stay will be one of many for me for years to come.

• Liked — The level of service from the staff
  • Disliked — I couldn't fault my stay.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
LIMERICK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

We have just returned from our stay at the Lyrath Estate Hotel, and once again have found our stay faultless. It has become somewhat of an annual retreat away from the hustle and bustle of life to this relaxed, tranquil haven on the outskirts of Kilkenny. For those who have never been, you are definitely missing out.

From its beautiful picturesque grounds, to the luxury of the hotel itself, I could not praise it enough. Upon arrival the welcoming smile you are given from Tom, the doorman, makes you feel so much at ease. The staff are truly a major asset to the success of this hotel as they are impeccable and aid to your every need.
The rooms are truly amazing, luxury and elegance in a contemporary style. We stayed in a luxury suite with such comfort we often did not want to leave the room, amazing just about covers it.

For those wanting a break away from it all, everything you could require for a relaxing weekend is at your fingertips, from the spa, to the top class restaurants (highly recommend the Yindees Thai restaurant), to the lively bars, it's all here.

We have stayed there twice now, with 4 friends of ours, who likewise could not praise the place enough, to the point where the phrase for the weekend was "I could so get used to this life of luxury", indeed I think we all have, hence why we shall return again.

Overall, the hotel is magnificent, beautiful setting, fantastic surroundings and wonderful staff.
Truly deserving of its 5star rating and probably the finest 5star in the country.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank BERTIELimerick
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2008

Stayed recently at the Lyrath hotel and I was just like to say what a fantastic hotel it is. I have traveled quite a bit in my time and I have stayed in some fine establishments but I must say this tops them all.
The greeting at the front desk is exceptional and the warm Irish welcome is greatly appreciated. The room is very comfortable and spacious. My meal in La Perla was excellent as was the snack that I had in Tupper's bar.

Overall, I had a fabulous few days in Lyrath and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2008

I stayed for one night recently in the Lyrath and was very impressed with the service.

Like other reviewers, I thought the doorman was lovely and the offer of valet parking a welcome touch. The receptionist was very helpful and I was escorted to my room too.

I used the swimming pool area and didn't have a problem with a lack of loungers as I was the only one there! Granted, there are only about 4 or 5 so on a busy day this could pose as a problem.

I didn't have dinner, but the breakfast the next morning was really good quality and a great choice too.

I will definitely be back to this hotel and hopefully the next time I'll manage to stay 2 or 3 nights!

• Liked — Wonderful staff with a personal touch
  • Disliked — The early turndown service (too early)
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank IrishTravellerDub
dublin ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2008

Sayed at The Lyrath for one night with my husband and 6yr old boy. Booked executive room for extra space and no problems there except for the turn down service, which was done at 5pm!!!!The hotel is lovely and staff are all very pleaesant, especially the gentleman who greets you when you arrive, and offers valet parking. This is a lovely touch and its free.However some things really need to be sorted if they are looking for 5 stars. The prices are 5star but the service is certainly not. Ordered afternoon tea when we arrived, the cakes etc. arrived without the tea which we waited for over 20mins before we got it. The bar service is not good.A glass of champagne is 14.50 and arrives with no coaster and no bottle presentation. It could have been anything. All the drinks we ordered were served without coasters and were very messy. A few peanuts or olives would be appreciated especially at the prices.Restaurant LA Perla really needs to get its act together. We waited over one hour for our starters with no apologies and it was not busy.Lyrath needs to sort out these problems as it has the potential to be 5 star but its not quite there yet.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family