“great hotel but not 5 star”
Review of Lyrath Estate

Lyrath Estate
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had a lovely 2 night stay in this hotel, however I feed its more like a 4.5 star than 5 star.
I could not fault the staff. they were superb , very helpful and very pleasant.
Rooms were lovely, reception area bright and airy with lots of seating.
The pool completely let the hotel down as did the walled garden and crazy golf. For a 5 star hotel you would be expecting a lot more.
On the plus side, there were bikes you could take out.
Hotel has its own cinema room where children or adults could pick out a dvd and have it shown on the big screen. This was a great hit.
Children also got milk and cookies before bed.
There was a kids club.
Breakfast was excellent, we ate in Tuppers bar one night and again this was very good.
There was a lot of families staying in this hotel
Overall a lovely hotel but some areas just left it down and that why its not quiet a 5 star.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Samantha O

Thank you very much for taking time out to share your review with us on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am delighted to know that you had a lovely two night stay with us recently and found all of the team to be superb and pleasant, I could not agree more they really are a credit to the hotel and are of course our key asset. I am also pleased to note that you found the rooms, public areas and general surrounds of the hotel to be of a high standard.

This year more than ever we have concentrated on making the experience for the kids even more special and it was great to hear that the Kids enjoyed the bikes, the cinema, the kids club and the other facilities available within the hotel. We also like to ensure that we pay attention to those little extras like milk and cookies delivered to the room.

Feedback is a gift and please be assured that we will act positively to address the points you have made regarding the Walled garden and crazy golf.

Thank you once again for sharing your views with us; I do hope I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate hotel in the near future.

Iain

Write a ReviewReviews (2,552)

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We arrived for pamper weekend, after spending time around the hotel we decided to sit out on our balcony but found birds nest overhead with bird dropping on the balcony, met with terry the manager who came up and took photos and to be fair did offer a room change but when he informed us that the nest would be removed and balcony cleaned, we agreed to stay in room, the following day after spending the day on property we found that the nest was still there and balcony was cleaned but again covered in droppings. Met with Elaine this time and she informed us that due to some wildlife act nest could not be removed and that the hotel was full so we could not moved to another room. At this point we asked why nobody had contacted us to tell us of this development and why the balcony had not been cleaned again if that was the case, she could not offer an explanation we we headed off to dinner.
Next day when bill arrived we were offered reduction in room rate to standard room 60 euro. When we queried items on the bill the girl told us that the general manager would speak to us, apparently he was busy and a duty manager met with us. He did offer us extra discount but that we not the point in all our discussions, we did not feel that we should have chased the management to solve the problem, both terry and Elaine were very supportive but there seemed a total lack of commutation between different shifts in the hotel. Would we return....even after all the hassle, maybe but not room 406

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Peter T

I fully appreciate the frustration you felt with regard to the nesting colony of swifts that had taken residence around our property, I fully share your frustrations, however swifts are a protected species and we are duty bound not to disturb them during their breeding season from May to August, to do is an offence. As you experienced, this really can pose a problem in terms of keeping the area clean as the birds return very frequently to their nests, and management of the situation does pose us a challenge balancing between practicality of cleaning these areas more frequently and disturbing our guests. Furthermore I would like to apologise for any apparent lack of cohesion in communication.

I am pleased that in spite of the challenges you experienced that you would return to Lyrath estate in the future.

Thank you once again for sharing your views with us; I do hope I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate hotel.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in August with 2 boys aged 3 and 5. Rooms are nice not massive but reasonably priced. You would not want to eat in a normal size room which is a shame with small kids when sometimes you want to feed them away from the crowd but that's the car with almost all hotels (!). Pool is small but sufficient for families. Swim hats and armbands are very reasonably priced. The staff are all very nice and try hard to be helpful. Offer to bring round your car or luggage. Colouring book an crayons for kids in the bar restaurant.

The kids club is in early days but they are trying hard and in a year or two it will I am sure be much better. Experience must be invaluable in that. Our kids only went one evening and it was a little ramshackle but they enjoyed it and Jason the entertainer was liked by the kids. I'd say they need a little more order on checking kids in and out the room. It's no Kelly's in terms of child activities but they are working hard at it.

There is a playground and bikes and tiny crazy golf and lots of grounds.

La perla was good if not exceptional but again reasonably priced.

Breakfast was excellent and I note the reviewer below who criticised the manager for the talking to he gave to her son and of course her opinion is valid however we appreciated our two lively boys being given some rules from an authority figure and indeed asked for it to be given again on the second day.

Last year we stayed in a rose garden cottage at mount Juliet and this is half the price and certainly more child friendly. We enjoyed our stay and the kids wanted to go back to the pool again and again. We would stay again.

1  Thank Jcddd

Dear Jcddd

This year has been the first where we have introduced a full kids club and activity plan and I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback regarding the check in and checkout process of the club; please be assured that this feedback has been shared with Jason and his team in order that we improve our service over the next holiday period.

I am Very pleased that on the whole you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that your children enjoyed the variety of activities available during their stay also. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding the staff and the service they provide, I have passed on your kind comments.

Thank you once again for sharing your experiences of Lyrath Estate with us; I do hope I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate hotel.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Myself husband and two year old stayed here for the August bank holiday. While the hotel was full check in was perfect room was lovely and reception staff where d nicest I've come across in all my travels. ( Have stayed all over the world and in every hotel in kk) However I was disappointed with the pool area certainly doesn't come close to powerscourt and really let's the place down in my opinion makes it a poor 5 star. My only real complaint comes in the form of the waiter in the breakfast room as mentioned by another reviewer also, my son got the same stern talking to as soon as we entered the restaurant so totally uncalled for my son is only 2 and has never been spoken to in such a manner had he not of been in my husbands arms at the time I think he would of cried. I brushed it off initially thinking it was just a misinterpretation of language but the more I thought of it the more it annoyed me. I will be back to lyrath however should I encounter this waiters bad manner to my son again he will get a piece of my mind there and then I won't care how busy the restaurant is and i shall make a formal complaint also . Totally unacceptable in family hotel and really let's down the hard work of all the other staff.

Dear John R

I am very pleased that the team offered you a memorable and very warm welcome to Lyrath, and that you found this experience to be amongst the best you have enjoyed during your travels. Thank you also for your feedback regarding one of the team at Breakfast; I have looked into this matter and the member of staff in question in no way intended to come across as stern with your children, and has asked me to convey his most sincere apologies to you for creating this impression. I do of course take this matter seriously, and having spoken to the staff member in question i have reiterated the importance of clearer communication.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We are just back from a wonderful few days in Lyrath. I would fully recommend this hotel to couples or families with young children. There are plenty of children's activities on offer and although there were many families staying in the hotel there was an air of tranquility throughout. In fact we liked it so much that we wanted to extend our stay but unfortunately it was fully booked however we will definitely be back!!

1  Thank BelfastMargaret

Dear Belfast Margaret

Many thanks for taking the time to share your review with us on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

Thank you for your kind endorsement of Lyrath estate and for highlighting the many activities available to children staying with us, whilst preserving an air of tranquillity suitable for couples also. It is pleasing to note that you would recommend the hotel and would have liked to have extended your stay with us.

Thank you once again for sharing your experiences of Lyrath Estate with us; We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate hotel.

Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for August bank holiday with my husband and children. Lovely entrance to the hotel and warm welcome by doorman who was the best I have ever encountered at his job, welcoming professional friendly, entertained the kids. We were early so room wasn't ready but we went for a walk around grounds, small children's playground , mini golf and woodland walk were enjoyable. Walled garden needs some attention, but grounds are excellent overall.
Room was lovely and spacious and spotlessly clean with plenty of towels, walk in shower was a dream.
Swimming pool was good but no life guard on duty but never crowded so didn't Provos a problem.
We ate in yindees restaurant, which has a branch in the town offering early bird specials, 2 /3 course deals etc. prices in the hotel were not as cheap with no such offers which is unfair as it is a captive audience. Food was nice but just felt taken advantage of.
Breakfast excellent, all staff very helpful. Lacking in atmosphere somewhat as a singer would have been welcome in one of the bars for entertainment . Would use again but unless dining options were more reasonable would eat out

Dear ggDublin

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed a really warm welcome to the hotel from Tom our doorman, who is a real hot with all of our guests. I am glad you had the opportunity to explore and enjoy the many facilities and activities available and also enjoyed dinner in our Yindees restaurant and breakfast in la Perla. We have restructured our Yindees menu which will be launched in November offering a broader choice of dishes and a wider price range. I also take note of your constructive comments regarding the walled garden, and please be assured that we will act upon this feedback over the winter and into next year.

Thank you once again for sharing your experiences of Lyrath Estate with us; we very much look forward to welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate hotel.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed for a 2 night break for my wife's birthday with our 2 children age 5 & 7
We had a really fantastic time and there was so much to do.
Firstly the Hotel is as nice as the pictures,the big drive up to the main Hotel through the gorgeous grounds.
We had a family room which was very big and spacious with a lovely bathroom and the view was lovely.
The deal I had booked included a evening meal for 2 adults so we had a fantastic meal on our first night at the la perla restaurant and the food was exceptional we had the butternut soup which was to die for followed by beef with all the trimmings and great desserts.
The children's meals were also very good.
We went for a swim in the infinity pool which is nice, although the changing rooms are a little on the small side, best tip would be to go to the pool wearing your rode from the room and supplied slippers and don't bother trying to get dried and changed until you get back to your room.
The Hotel is lavish and everything flows so well from room to room and from the newer extended part of the hotel which is where all the restaurants and rooms are you have 2 doors at the end where you can walk in to the old house with rooms after rooms to discover which the children loved doing each evening after dinner........it is what makes this hotel a truly exceptional experience.
You can feel the history of the house walking around and relaxing in such by gone era.
The hotel runs a great kids club from 10:30-12:30 at no extra cost! And then 5-9 in the evening which was great on our second night as the children had a great time playing games then they have there evening meal and then a Disco all in the same room this was a little extra cost of 10 euro per child great value while my wife and I relaxed before having food and drinks in the Tuppers bar with the best fish and chips we have ever had!
We used the complimentary bikes and had a bike ride around the estate and also went on the boats on the lake.
What a fantastic break and highly recommended as a break or special treat.
We will hopefully return again as its a lovely place.
The staff were all very friendly especially the the head guy at Breakfast who goes out of his way to speak to children and is so friendly but runs that shift so well, I myself have been a Restaurant manager for 25 years and this guy is Super I could not help watch how he handles his staff so well and helps out himself to clean up and so on.
He is a real asset to the Hotel.
Also the doorman with the top hat and the best Irish accent you will ever come across is great.
The lady with the reddish hair in the Tuppers bar was so friendly as well.
Also the guy who runs you down to the lake for the boats is a asset and said how much he loved working for the hotel.
We stayed the 4th and 5th August.

Room Tip: You can book one of 3 original rooms in the old house which we hope to do so one day.