“Furious” 4 of 5 bubbles

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
“Furious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I am absolutely appalled at the treatment I received from the reception staff in reference to payment of my room. I was part of a wedding and i booked back in january and was quoted 180 and when I went to pay the bill I was charged 280. This is a disgrace to say that I would be charged 280 and the room next door to me was charged 150. We spent a fortune in the hotel attending the wedding and to say that a hotel would try charge 280 for a room is infuriating.

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Cbren26
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Cbren26

I am grateful for the time you have taken to share your feedback with us on trip advisor following your visit to Lyrath Estate hotel in July.

I am glad to have had the opportunity to discuss your concerns on the telephone and I am glad that we were able to resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the Lyrath estate Hotel the next time you are visiting the area.

Iain Gray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Waterford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night pamper package at the Lyrath Hotel - the room was lovely, plenty of space with a balcony - really comfortable beds and lovely bathrooms. Food was lovely especially the breakfasts, great quality food - Ate at Yindees restaurant which was really good food - Bar food was also very nice, but drinks in the bar are very expensive. Went to the Oasis spa which was also gorgeous and all very professional - would highly recommend a visit to the Lyrath and look forward to my next trip

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Fen2013

The team at Lyrath were delighted to read such positive comments regarding the standards and service they provide, to know that you enjoyed a wonderful experience with us means a great deal to us all. I have passed on your kind comments to all departments concerned and have shared your feedback with the management team, all of whom have asked to be associated with my sincere thanks.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Lyrath estate Hotel the next time you are visiting the area.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed here with a group of friends for a night. Hotel grounds are lovely and gives a really relaxing vibe with easy access to Kilkenny. Good location if you don't want to be in the centre of town. Staff were all very helpful and some nice extra touches over the weekend including checking we weren't burning ourselves outside in the sunshine. Rooms are very clean and had a nice private view. There is definitely a corporate feel to the hotel so not sure I would run back for a romantic break but is a nice hotel. Choice and service for breakfast was very good but the food was a little cold. It did seem very busy at the time we went down though.

Dear Holiday2082,

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Lyrath Estate Hotel, and that you found the food and service to be of the highest standard. We are very fortunate to have such lovely grounds, and during the fine weather in July these really came into their own, with many of our guests enjoying relaxing and basking in the sunshine. We are also ideally located in relation to Kilkenny.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had booked a room at the Newpark Hotel in Kilkenny which was horrible. I immediately searched for a better hotel and found Lyrath. I called them right away, told them my problem and they immediately had rooms for my party for two nights. They gave us a discounted rate because of the problems we had at Newpark and could not have been nicer. The food was excellent, hotel was beautiful and the staff could not have been nicer. Jessica and Deirdre at the front desk took care of everything with a smile. It was one of the most enjoyable stays during our time in Ireland.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jackie L

Many thanks for the time you have taken to share your feedback with us on trip advisor following your visit to Lyrath Estate hotel in July.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Lyrath Estate Hotel, and that you found the food and service to be of the highest standard. I have passed on your kind comments to Jessica and Deidre who are delighted to have been recognised in such a positive light.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Lyrath estate Hotel the next time you are visiting Ireland.

Wiesbaden, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was told by my Irish friends that I should stay in this hotel- that I would love the surroundings and when I went there during the hot weather I was very impressed by the outside of the hotel. i was very dissappointed when I saw the inside of the hotel though. The decorations were terrible. Really bad taste. The food was great- if pricey so we brought some of our own food and ate it on the balcony. I thought it was also quite noisy. This is my first time to Ireland and I love it, the people are very friendly.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Marianne B

Thank you for the time you have taken to share your feedback with us on trip advisor following your visit to Lyrath Estate hotel in July.

I am sorry to learn that you did not find the decor of the hotel to your liking and that you felt they are in bad taste. We do receive very positive comments about the decor and presentation of the property and many guests find the transition from the old house to the newer parts of the building to have been tastefully appointed. I am pleased that you found the quality of the food to be excellent and that you found the team to be friendly.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Lyrath estate hotel in the near future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We spent one night here during our two week trip in Ireland while travelling with our two children. Our review might be biased because we stayed in a luxury suite - which was not much more expensive then a famliy room. The room was huge, exquisitley detailed, comfortable and spotless. The hotel was modern, the pool was nice for our children and the hotel had a pub or Thai restaurant to eat dinner if you wanted to stay on site. The breakfast was a buffet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Travelopalooza,

Thank you for the time you have taken to share your feedback with us on trip advisor following your visit to Lyrath Estate hotel in June.

I am very pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, and that we were able to offer you an upgrade to a suite. I have shared your feedback with the team, and they have asked to be associated with my thanks for such positive feedback.

I do hope that next time you visit Ireland that I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Lyrath estate hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

5 of us, all adults, stayed over the weekend in Lyrath recently. There were some lovely 5 star touches which were very pleasant such as the greeting at the door and the option to have someone park and bring your car around to the door. Tom gave us a lovely warm welcome. The staff were very pleasant and professional. Our only gripes were that on the Saturday night there was live music that was loudspeakered all over the hotel at a rediculously loud volume. We went to sit in the foyer which is very pleasant but we had to go back to our room because of the noise from the bar/clubroom which we couldn't escape except by going into the room. Another couple also decided to leave the foyer at the same time for the same reason. Another gripe was the slow service in the restaurant and also when we asked for room service to be cleared from our room on sunday night. Admittedly the phones were out due to an earlier powercut so it was possible our messages didn't get through to room service. After the third phone call (the first having been made at 8pm and the third at 10pm we finally had it cleared from the balcony.) A smaller gripe was that I opted for a pedicure but had to share the treatment room with another woman having a manicure. In even the smallest, cheapest, beauty shops you get a treatment room to yourself for a pedicure so I would certainly expect to have an individual treatment room in a 5 star hotel especially at five star prices.
My mother had opted for Lyrath based on an previous wonderful experience of staying there some years ago and she was disappointed overall. She doesn't want to go back again for the price she had to pay. I would also agree with an earlier commenter that the lovely old house is not being used to its best advantage as it is a draw for guests based on the website pictures. I had a quick tour around the rooms and many of them had a lot of rubbish in them from earlier business conventions it seemed. This is a pity as if they were done up into separate reading rooms/guest areas it would be great. Hotels like Ashford and Castle Leslie are full of beautifully done up rooms that guests can choose to relax in.
Having said all the above and not wanting to end on a bad note, I would like to stress again that the staff are very friendly and professional and the breakfasts are great.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the terrace if staying at the weekend or if a wedding is booked in as it can be noi...
Dear cnally n

I appreciate you taking the time to share your review of the Lyrath Estate Hotel, following your recent stay with us in July.

I am really pleased to note that on the whole you enjoyed the experience at Lyrath estate and found the greeting by Tom to be a special touch. It is also very pleasing to learn that the team as a whole provided pleasant and professional service during your stay.

I am sorry that you found the live music to be a disturbance; I have reviewed the volume levels in light of your comments and can confirm that we have communicated with our musicians to ensure that the volume of music is kept at a more manageable level.

Regrettably on the weekend of your stay we did experience a prolonged power cut which did unfortunately effect the communications within the hotel. We endeavoured to minimise the impact on all our guests and I am sorry that we were not able to provide room service to our usual high standards. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback further and with this in mind would ask that you contact me directly at, gm@lyrath.com.

Thank you once again for the time you have taken in sharing your feedback with us, I look forward to talking to you directly in the near future.