“Definitely recommend this hotel”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
“Definitely recommend this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed in Lyrath three times and loved it everytime. I would recommend going for dinner in yindees restaurant. Standard rooms are luxurious and extremely clean. Decor in bedroom is modern chic. I loved the hotel so much I booked my wedding there for July 2013!! Can't wait!!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Mary565
Joanna H, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Mary 565

Thank you for taking the time to review the Lyrath Estate Hotel on Trip Advisor following your visit to the hotel in January

It is very pleasing to note that you are a regular visitor to Lyrath, and thank you for such kind comments regarding your experiences. Yindees really is a super restaurant, and we are changing our menus in the coming weeks offering more exciting and delicious choices for all our valued guests.

I hope that the plans are all coming together for your wedding with us in July, Dervla and the girls in the sales office have asked me to send on their best wishes.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Lyrath estate Hotel in July for your Wedding celebrations.

Iain Gray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent four days in this hotel recently with several members of my family ranging from grandparents to toddler.

The hotel was packed with families, most with very young children.

The facilities for children were excellent from the pool to the organised activities although you did have to pay for some of these. The playground and the cinema were a great idea and a dvd player and list of dvds was provided when we requested it. There were also bicycles available to use.

The rooms are okay but there is virtually no storage space and as we were there for four days for a wedding my daughter said that she couldn't fit their clothes into the wardrobe space provided and the only answer the hotel had was for them to upgrade to a suite at an extra cost of €60 per night. They said they never had any complaints about storage before but later said that they planned to make changes to the rooms this summer to sort out some of the problems guests were complaining of. Other guests we spoke to indicated that they had the same problem.

The sliding door into the bathroom didn't close and the extractor fan worked intermittently, sometimes when the bathroom was empty and the lights were off as if it was on a timer. The towels were small and in short supply. The rooms look tired and worn and definitely need upgrading. The hotel was particulary busy over the Easter period and consequently the rooms sometimes were not serviced until the evening time which was a bit of a nuisance but not the fault of the staff.

On the plus side, the staff were excellent, couldn't do enough for you and nothing was too much bother. The breakfast was also excellent and I would have to mention Lukas in particular for his welcome and for the superb service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Joanna H, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear MatildaBelfast

Thank you for taking the time to review the Lyrath Estate Hotel on Trip Advisor following your visit to the hotel in April.

We are very fortunate to have such great facilities for families and also for having such a dedicated team who make an extra special effort to entertain the children who stay with us. This coming summer we will be offering more activities than ever and have an exciting summer programme designed especially for the family breaks.

Thank you also for offering feedback regarding the storage available within the bedrooms, and also the sliding doors in the bathrooms. Due consideration will be given to such feedback going forward, and whilst there are no immediate plans to structurally alter the bedrooms, consideration will be given to duration of stay and number of occupants within the bedrooms.

It was disappointing to hear that you felt the room was “tired” and I can with sincerity say that this is the first time I have encountered this description of our bedrooms. I would really appreciate your time in contacting me to discuss this feedback in more detail.

I would like to thank you sincerely for your lovely comments in relation to the team at Lyrath estate. I am really fortunate to work with such great people, and I know that your comments have been very well received. Lukas has asked me to convey his thanks for the mention of his superb service.

Ballyclare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were part of two couples staying for a special occasion for a two night break. It was wonderful. Our room was spotless, staff were so helpful and attentive, facilities were excellent. Catherine McKnight was very helpful in suggesting how to make the most of our time in Kilkenny. Food in both restaurants was excellent and the service was certainly five star. We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Claire M500

I appreciate the time you have taken to review the Lyrath Estate Hotel on Trip Advisor following your visit to the hotel in March.

I would like to thank you sincerely for your lovely comments in relation to the team at Lyrath estate. I am really fortunate to work with such great people, and I know that your comments have been very well received. Katherine was delighted to be mentioned personally and has asked that i pass on her thanks for such praise.

I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

We spent a terrific Easter weekend at Lyrath. We had stayed before some years ago.

It was a very busy weekend for them, with lots of kids (including mine) staying. Tom (I think) is the first and very important contact. Makes you feel properly welcome. It's a small but very important touch.

The girl on reception was excellent, both as to check in, and then to bring our huge amount of bags to the room, all the while explaining all about the hotel and the facilities. The same girl was also in charge of the kid's activities and really I could not speak highly enough of her.

Room was lovely. No issue at all there. Bed good, bath & shower nice. Oddly mean with shampoos and tea/milk. We had to keep asking for more.

Dinner was very good in La Perla. Delighted to find a vegatarian menu, a real plus. Breakfast, on the other hand, was like Butlins. Really, people, they are not going to run out of food.

Had a couple of lovely walks around the grounds, beautiful (if cold!).

The kid's entertainers deserve special, and high, praise. I don't know the chap who was running the show but he was excellent. As were Tony the Tiger, Cheeky Monkey, Mickey Mouse and Minnie. Our four year old had the time of her life. And thanks to to the staff who organised the Easter Egg hunt. Little one was disappointed when the bigger boys and girls found all the eggs before her, but one girl (assistant manager?) stepped in at the end to save the day with a huge egg. Well done.

There is one downside, and it may be that the staff were so busy this particular weekend. The staff would run you down they are in such a rush. Waiters and waitresses would practically push you out of the way to get past, and the house staff literally ran from room to room. I feel very sorry for them and wonder what pressure management has them under. The manageress in Tuppers Bar looks on the edge of a breakdown. I have to say the Irish staff were much more pleasant than others.

The feel of the hotel is that it is run by businessmen/lawyers rather than hoteliers, all rushing about and lists and disclaimers. You have to initial a disclaimer on check in that if the hotel has to discount another client due to your noise then you are liable. Interesting, maybe even proper, but a first for me.

Very close to being perfect. Staff need to chill out and remember that we are on holidays.

Room Tip: I think you'll find all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear SirRoy

I am very pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at the Lyrath estate and thank you sincerely for such lovely feedback regarding the staff, food and the facilities.

I would also like to thank you for the constructive feedback regarding the potentially “rushed” approach to service at times during your stay with us. I am blessed with a great team of Hotelier managers and staff who work very closely together, and can only concur that during the particularly busy times of the day that the speed of service is aligned to the volume of guests that we serve.

I fully agree with your point in relation to the “disclaimer” points on the regsistration cards, these are not featured on the new design and will be removed when the current stock is exhausted.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back and the opportunity to turn the dial from “nearly perfect “ to perfect.

mayo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Every year my husband and I take the kids away for Easter break. This year we chose lyrath estate. Initially I was reluctant to book the hotel because a colleague had told me that it was a fantastic hotel for coferences and business meetings so I had presumed that the hotel would not be child friendly. Fortunately a friend a mine had recently visited the hotel with her children and sang its praises so we decided to book the lyrath. I cannot say enough nice things about this hotel, the staff, the location, the food, and the children's activities. There is great comfort in finding a hotel that can cater to children and still allow the adults to feel the luxury of staying in a five star hotel. The rooms are very large and there was plenty of room for my family of 5. 1 double, 2 singles, and a cot. We were upgraded to a fantastic room for 4 of our 5 night stay and it was heaven. The food is great. They have 3 restaurants to chose from. My husband and I ate in la perla and yindees and had a great meal in both places. We ate lunch in tippers bar every day and the staff were incredibly professional and friendly. They were amazing with the kids- the kids menu is one of the best I have come across in a while. My very picky eaters have loads to chose from. The reception area is very modern but still has a traditional and warm ambience.... Lovely to sit there with a coffee listening to the piano player. The children's activities were incredible. There is a wii room with 3 different consoles, a cinema, Mini golf, a playground, bike riding around thd grounds, an indoor playroom which is ideal for young children. There was daily and nightly entertainment for the kids.. Arts and crafts, face painting, discos, pet farms, etc, etc. I have stayed in many five star hotels and resorts but I would have to say the customer service here is hard to beat.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Jules 135

It was a pleasure to read your feedback and I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your family break at the Lyrath estate Hotel. We are blessed with outstanding facilities throughout, appealing to many different needs and tastes; our key asset is of course the fantastic team who are genuinely dedicated to offering the very best hospitality.

The Guest relations team have in recent times really concentrated on the experience for families and as you have very kindly mentioned we offer a great range of activities for families visiting the Hotel. This year we plan to further develop these activities with many exciting additions in the pipe line.

I share feedback with my team daily and we discuss all feedback daily; the feedback you shared really did strike a chord with all team members who have asked me to pass on their thanks for such praise. Personally I feel the real difference with the team at Lyrath is the sincerity and genuine attention to all guests, all too often absent in this day and age and something that cannot be trained.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the coming months, and i hope to have the opportunity to meet with you personally upon your return.

kilkenny
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

just back from a one night stay there. We got a good rate on B&B for myself, hubby & 3 kids. Thats where the good deals end. Arrived at 5.30 was gonna go for a swim but kids not allowed in after 6....which is a little early really. The italian restaurant will only take kids on the 6.30 sitting....too early. The bar stops serving food at 7pm......too early. We eneded up in the Thai restaurant which was fine but very over priced, the staff were efficient but cold no interpersonal skills at all. The kids wanted to do the crazy golf so we paid the €2 per child and out we went - 4 really badly put together things in the garden beside the swing set (we have a better swing set in our own garden). So that amused them for 15 minutes. The game room was booked out. The other activities advertised for kids had finished earlier that afternoon apparently Easter hols were over at 4pm on Friday 5th April. Breakfast this morning was fine all buffet which is great for choice but alot of walking when your trying to feed 3 kids and the table you get is far from the buffet and why was my husband offered a paper and I wasn't? The pool now that is not a well thought out part of the Lyrath. Pool is tiny, changing rooms are smaller. There are signs in corridor asking you to change in your room after and avail of the robes in your rooms, there is nowhere in pool area to put robes. You must sign a waiver when you go in stating that you are responsible for your own kids safety as there is no life guard on duty. The pedelo boats are in storage for the winter. We are still looking for the ducks in the ponds.

Dear Wishing 101,

Thank you for the time you have taken to review the Lyrath Estate Hotel on Trip Advisor following your visit to the hotel in April.

We greatly value all feedback whether positive or negative as this affords us the opportunity to continually focus on the service and value we provide to all customers; I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us at Lyrath Estate hotel and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss the feedback you have kindly shared in more detail; with this in mind and if convenient please do contact me at the hotel.

I Hope to speak to you in due course in more detail regarding the feedback you have offered.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Just back from a night at Lyrath as a party of 4. The bedrooms were nice and comfy with nice bed linen ( towels though were a bit on the small size !) . Ate at the Thai restaurant which was good; all 4 mains were excellent but one of the starters was not good. Gave this feedback to our waiter who immediately offered an alternative starter and a sincere apology. Breakfast was good - nice fresh fruit; delicious hotel-made Guinness bread . Found the staff friendly & welcoming especially Terry ( senior manager - thank you for the thoughtful parcel at check out ! ) . The setting is lovely and we were very lucky with glorious weather .

Room Tip: View from the 4th floor is lovely
Dear Melanie s

Many thanks for the time you have taken to review the Lyrath Estate Hotel on Trip Advisor following your visit to the hotel in April.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you have taken time to recognise the service and standards offered by the team members here a Lyrath. I have passed on your kind comments to all concerned; Terry has asked me to pass on his thanks for the special mention in your review.

Thank you also for your constructive comments regarding the quality of one of the starters in Yindees, I am glad that my team handled this sensitively and offered alternatives at the time. Please be assured that I have passed on your comments to the chefs regarding this point.

I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Lyrath Estate hotel in the near future.