“Fantastic hotel, excellent service, great food and a spa = happy!”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel, excellent service, great food and a spa = happy!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We visited the hotel for a weekend away having never been to Kilkenny or the surrounding area before - what a pleasant surprise we had! On arrival to the estate there's a long winding drive leading up to a stately home frontage - the rest of the hotel is built on to this, but not visible on approach. We got dropped off at the front door and were immediately greeted by a friendly and helpful concierge who helped us in with the luggage and introduced us to the front of house team. Check-in was seamless and then we were shown to our room overlooking the lakes at the back of the property. The first day we had lunch in the Bar - I had steak sandwich (goregous) and my husband had the pasta (very tasty). The portions were generous and the staff who served us were delightful. The bar opens out onto a conservatory area and we decided to eat there as the sun was shining. The hotel also does great high teas / afternoon teas and we watched our fellow diners enjoy those too. First night we went into Kilkenny itself but returned later on and had great sleep.
Next day we enjoyed the spa area (sauna, steam room, huge infinity jacuzzi pool with open aspect onto gardens) before I headed off for a treatment - had a caviar facial and it felt great. The spa / treatment area is a great size and has various rooms (not sure how many in total but plenty to cope with the guests and even included a couples room).
Dinner on the Saturday was in the Thai restaurant on the mezzanine area in the central part of the hotel - well, what can I say apart from I'm still dreaming of the meal now! Once again the service was excellent - you can really tell the staff here take pride in working for the hotel and this makes a huge difference as a visitor - well done to them all (it's not that frequent in other places in my experience). It's worth mentioning the hotel was running a wedding on the Saturday and this did not impinge on the normal guests and vice versa - the original house was used for main part of wedding which must have been lovely.
Anyway - breakfast on both days was in the main restaurant and had a huge selection of cooked items (including white pudding... my favourite) and varied cold buffet / continental choice.
I would highly recommend the hotel for all visitors - there was a great mix of couples, groups, families and business people and all were accommodated to the highest standard from what I could see.
We will definitely return and hope to explore more of the local area too as the bits we did see were lovely.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear SelkieGirl

We are all delighted that you both enjoyed your short break with us here in Kilkenny at the Lyrath estate Hotel.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to share feedback of your experiences whilst staying with us. The team were all very happy to look after you during your stay and were very pleased to see their efforts recognised so positively on Trip Advisor.

Much as we do enjoy fantastic facilities and luxurious surroundings the key asset to Lyrath is of course the people, and I do feel very fortunate to be supported by such a proactive and positive team. It really does provide great satisfaction and motivation to all when their efforts are recognised in such glowing terms, and in a time when it is more common for people to seek fault, it is particularly rewarding to receive such comprehensive praise.

In closing I would like to thank you once again for such positive feedback, and I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable stay

Iain Gray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed March 16, 2013

As my friend Regina3 did a review of some issues which occurred during her recent visit and she cannot submit another review for 3 months, I decided to review our stay this week at the Lyrath.
We booked the 'Have it all' package which is offered on the Hotel website. I have to say, this package is excellent value for money, Dinner in Yindees, Bed & Breakfast in a fabulous room with its own balcony, a 30 minute Spa treatment (which we upgraded) and lunch the day of departure.

The rooms were spacious and comfortable, the beds are quite hard, so if you like a soft bed, do ask for a duvet to put under your bottom sheet. The rooms are equipped with everything you need, Heat control, TV, Internet, hair drier, iron, robes, slippers even an umbrella. The bathroom was fabulous, with a large separate shower and bath and a loo which has its own door off the bathroom. Most of the balconies are covered which helps when it rains.

Dinner at Yindees was very good except the prawn crackers which arrive before the meal are the cheap ones you get free from the Chinese takeaway not the 'real' ones you would get in the lemongrass restaurant. Rose was the server at our table and was very attentive even though the restaurant was busy.

Breakfast supplied a vast array of everything from cooked buffet, to smoked salmon, cheeses, pastries, fruit, nuts, cereals, yoghurt, jams etc. Amazing choice.

The Spa was glorious, we took advantage of the thermal pool which is so relaxing. Our Antioxidant Facials were amazing, but take note, treatments are 20-30 euro cheaper between Mon & Thurs. The staff were very attentive and excellent at their craft. We reluctantly, left feeling relaxed and pampered.

Lunch was included in the package, so if you are partaking, go easy on the breakfast...
We opted for Cod & Chips, what we got was most unexpected. Three large goujons of cod in a very light tempura type batter with home made chips, beautifully presented.

Throughout our short visit, all the staff, barring one waiter, were extremely helpful and made us feel special. Emma-Jayne should be very proud of her team.

This was my first visit to the Lyrath and my friends second, but it will not be our last. We are looking forward to returning soon and partaking in their upcoming venture of 'Real Afternoon Tea' Donton Abbey style...can't wait

Room Tip: If you smoke, ask for a balcony and remember the mattress's are very firm.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sue L
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear SueL

Thank you for taking the time to contact us via Trip Advisor, and for sharing your experiences with us following your recent stay at Lyrath Estate hotel.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel and had a chance to sample all of the great range of services available, and I would agree the “have it all package” does represent great value for money. I have passed on your kind comments to Rose and Louise regarding the great service and standards you experienced in both Yindees restaurant and the Oasis spa. I have also asked our chef to seek alternatives to the current Prawn cracker offering, and we hope that the next time you visit us that you find the prawn crackers more to your taste.

I am delighted that on the whole you found the staff to be friendly and engaging, Emma- Jane does have a great team supporting her and this is evident in the fantastic feedback both she and the Lyrath team receive.

We greatly look forward to welcoming you back to the Lyrath Estate Hotel in the near future for another enjoyable stay.

Iain
Wexford
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night with my husband. Was really looking forward it it because we hadn't been away together for a long time.

For the price we paid, I was expecting a top quality stay. And for the most part, it certainly was. Super friendly staff, nice building, lovely bathroom, room ready on arrival. And the pianist was superb. She really helped add atmosphere to the Lyrath, which is minimal otherwise.

Was surprised at the size of the very small pool and limited gym.

Overall - very nice. But not good value for money compared to other hotels charging similar rates.

Dear Americk

I appreciate you taking the time to contact us via Trip Advisor, and for sharing your experiences with us following your recent stay at Lyrath Estate hotel.

I am very pleased that you found the hotel standards and service to be of an excellent standard, and that overall you enjoyed the experience. I also appreciate your feedback on the leisure facilities and the size of the swimming pool.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Ireland
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited Lyrath House with our four-year-old and were met at the door by the charming Tom, who took our bags and, after a swift check-in, showed us to our fabulous suite. Everything about Lyrath oozes luxury. Our stunning suite offered a spacious sitting-dining area, with views out over a ponded area, as did our bedroom, with its huge bed. This led into our his and hers walk-in wardrobe and then into a huge bathroom, fitted out with a chic Villeroy & Bosch egg bath and wet-room shower. We breakfasted each morning in the stunning La Perla restaurant, with its helpful staff, and ate our evening meals in Tuppers, which again offered excellent staff and food. We enjoyed a swim each day and walks around the idyllic grounds. We could not have asked for anything better and will definitely be returning soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KatieMc123
Dear KatieMc123

Thank you sincerely for sharing your feedback with us, following a recent stay at the Lyrath Estate hotel.

Tom is a huge asset to us at Lyrath and provides the very best of welcomes to all of our valued guests; I will be speaking with him today and will pass on your lovely comments. The team here are thrilled that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and found the hotel standards and service to be first class.

Your feedback really does mean a great deal to the team at Lyrath, and recognition of great service provides me with the opportunity to praise the team daily for a job well done, this is a great motivator and drives the team to continue to offer a genuine and warm hospitality to all.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Lyrath Estate Hotel for another relaxing and enjoyable stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had an absolutley fantastic weekend, the hotel is amazing, staff couldnt do enough to help you, the facilities are wondefull, if you get a chance visit the spa! Rooms were spacious and clean and modern. We dined at the Tai restuarant which was first class. Would definatley visit again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Tais2013

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, following a recent stay at the Lyrath Estate hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us at the Lyrath Estate Hotel, and that you will be coming back to see us again in the near future. We are very fortunate to have such a wonderful hotel to serve our guests, and even more fortunate to have such a dedicated and genuine team who are constantly striving to offer the very best hospitality.

Iain
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night. Scenery is outstanding with amazing views and a calm peaceful atmosphere. Complaints would be: strange sewerage smell in some areas, EXTREMELY rude staff in the restaurant near reception and I WISH I had taken a picture of the sandwich we received which was pretty much thrown on a plate!!!! In the Chinese restaurant amazing staff!! Rooms lovely, spacious. No complaints there. Spa treatment was well below satisfactory. I'm not sure it's somewhere I would choose again which is a shame as the location is impressive.

Dear Man337

I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and also that you were not able to make us aware of the problems you have highlighted whilst you were still with us. I can honestly say that I have never had a member of my team described as extremely rude, and clearly this causes me great concern; I would appreciate you contacting me directly to discuss this and the other matters you have raised as I would like to be in receipt of all facts before passing comment or informing you of the actions that will be taken.

All feedback is of value to us at Lyrath and i look forward to hearing from you in due course with the express aim of rectifying what has clearly been a very disappointing experience.

dublin, ireland
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the second time and once again cannot fault the hotel. Had dinner in both Yindees and the bar and both were good eating. Got an executive suite which was great as we had our little girl with us and there was an area near the bathroom for the supplied travelcot which meant we could watch tv etc in the main bedroom without disturbing her.

Dear Markymark999

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your return visit to the hotel earlier this month.

We are all delighted that following you first visit to Lyrath, that you chose us again for another short break with the family. To learn that you could not fault the hotel is high praise and for this the team are very grateful. It is very reassuring to me as a recently appointed manager to know that in spite of tough times within the country and changes at the hotel that we have managed to maintain high standards throughout.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future