“Another fantastic stay at Lyrath”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Myself and my Fiance are regular visitors to Lyrath and each and every time we stay here our expectations are surpassed. Our recent visit was to distract ourselves from our wedding plans and we arrived on Saturday 16th Feb for an overnight stay. Unfortunately the room we had booked (Room 41) was not occupible due to the fact that some ignorent people decided to smoke in it the night beforehand. Pretty rude in our opinion as its clearly a non-smoking hotel and this room is a one off 17th century style room that doesnt derserve that treatment! As usual the staff were fantasic. In particular Iona and Kara who went over and above to ensure we had an alternative suite arranged. The service from the staff in this hotel is over and above what I would ever expect and it never falters. Our new room was our favourite so far...a beautiful suite overlooking the grounds. The hotel had arranged wine tasting in the cellar bar that evening and that too was a lovely experience. Counting down to our next trip to Lyrath.... thanks to all at the Hotel. S&D

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear SarahDamien

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel.

I am really pleased to learn that you are regular visitors to the Lyrath estate, and that the team here consistently exceed your expectation in terms of the service and standards that they provide.

It does disappoint me when guests choose to ignore the very clear policy that we are a non smoking hotel, we are very strict about this for both the comfort of all of our guests but also clearly in relation to the safety implications. I am sorry that you had to experience the result of another guest’s ignorance on this occasion.

I must say that I agree with you regarding the team at Lyrath, they are without question the best team I have had the pleasure of working alongside in my career, friendliness, warmth and hospitality seem to come naturally to the team here.

I have also shared your very kind comments regarding the food, service and cleanliness of the hotel to all of my team members who were really pleased to hear such nice feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for what we can assure you will be another thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for a surprise night away for my birthday. I only found out where we were going when we were enroute so I had no time to read reviews etc and I went with a completely open mind.

The hotel is fabulous. It's part of an old house and even though most of the hotel is in a new building you would hardly notice that you've moved from old to new.

The bedroom was just wow! It was huge and comfortable with lovely feather and down pillows that you just sunk into. I loved the crisp cotton bedlinen. The bathroom was probably one of the nicest I've ever seen with an amazing walk-in shower. No stepping in and out of a bath which was welcomed as I'm heavily pregnant. Being pregnant on my second child this is exactly the type of place I wanted to go to to unwind.

We went for dinner in the asian restuarant and the starter and main course were truly delicious. It was all part of a set menu but there was lots of choice so it wasn't restrictive and it was great value for money and was only let down by the dessert which was completely bland and heavy. I would've preferred a nice ice cream or sorbet instead after a spicy asain meal of a minature lemon meringue but perhaps that's personal taste.

I had a couple of treatments booked in the spa and again it was amazing and exactly what you'd expect from a hotel of this standard.

So where was the hotel lacking; well for me it was the little things that I expect from a luxury hotel. We had to bring our own bags to our room. The service in the restaurant wasn't quite up to standard. We were offered extra prawn crackers but they never arrived. My husband asked for a glass of wine and had to remind them after a long wait. We had to ask for more water. The sausages at breakfast were those generic banger sausages which for me is a big no no. I'd really expect a luxury destination to have artisan sausages from a local butcher. We had some lunch in the bar before we left and again, our order was messed up. My husband ordered soup and had to remind them as he was left waiting while I was served quickly. These are all little things but when you stay somewhere luxurious you expect a higher level of service.

Did these things ruin our little break? Definitely not and I would absolutely recommend Lyrath to anyone looking for a relaxing night or two away. As far as a relaxing break away goes Lyrath ticked all the boxes.

Also just to add, Lyrath seems to cater very well for families with arts and craft classes, childrens cinema and a creche. Children seem very welcome in the hotel and there were lots of families when we were there as it was midterm. The hotel also seems large enough to accomodate families and couples at the same time.

2  Thank intrepidlady

Dear Intrepidlady

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel.

Firstly I would like to thank you for detailing the areas of your experience that you found to be requiring more focus on detail, and where the team can improve. We do genuinely appreciate all feedback and I am pleased that you gave us a balanced and constructive account of your stay at Lyrath estate.

I have passed on your comments regarding the dessert in Yindees restaurant and the Chef has asked me to pass on his thanks for this comment. We have reviewed all of our menus in recent weeks and will be looking to change the offering in Yindees in the coming weeks.

I have also passed on your comments regarding the service efficiency in Yindees to our restaurant manager Annand. Clearly we aim to provide the very best service at all times and it appears that on this occasion we failed to deliver, as also seems to be the case with the mistake made by one of our staff with your Lunch order shortly before departure.

Thank you also for your positive feedback regarding the family facilities at Lyrath estate, we have a great programme for children over the holiday periods, and great facilities year round to keep the kids occupied and entertained.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

On Saturday the 16th of February, I celebrated my 50 th birthday down in Lyrath with 22 other girls. We arrived down to Lyrath by mini bus at about 4.45pm. We had seven rooms booked, I had booked a balcony room for my two sisters and my self and as we where checking in we got a surprise we got up grade to the Pent House Suite. What an amazing surprise and a great start to my 50 th birthday. (Iona) the guest relation manager showed us up to the suite and could not do enought for us. The 22 of us started the party from then. At 8.30pm we went for dinner down in the wine cellar. We had the area to our selfs which was lovely we could all talk and laught with out disturbing any of the other guests. We had a fantastic meal/ wine. The staff Cathy, Donal Tom where just brillent. The chef ( Igor) made a stunning birthday cake, I would not have had dessert if I had know the birthday cake was coming out another surprise. After the meal we went up stairs to the x bar where there was music and we stayed up till the small hours of the morning. Breakfast the next morning was self service and amazing they had every thing. Some of the girls walked around the beautiful grounds as it way a bright sunny morning, the others went for swim. Bus pick us up 12.30 pm to return to Dublin. We all had a great night and every one said that they would return again to be pampered. Our thanks to every member of staff who we had contact with as each and every one of them gave out standing service in all departments, check in, house keeping, resturant and bar. A special work of thanks to Elaine Scott for her out standing customer care and attention to every detail.
Every one should go to Lyrath for their special days.
BC.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Benmadigan

Dear Benmadigan

Firstly a very Happy 50th Birthday, and thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us here at the Lyrath estate hotel, the team remember you all well and thoroughly enjoyed having you with us here at the hotel for what was a great party.

Elaine looked after your upgrade to the Penthouse suite and felt this would give you a great space to relax and enjoy some time with your friends. It is greatly rewarding for the team to be mentioned personally in such glowing terms and all those mentioned have asked me to pass on their personal thanks for such lovely recognition.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here in February as part of a wedding party. I had been to the hotel on a few occasions before, for lunch and afternoon tea etc. The wedding itself was fantastic, the drinks reception in the old house was idyliic and the photos turned out great! The staff were very friendly and accommodating and always on hand if needed. The function room for the wedding was decorated beautifully. The food for the meal was overall brilliant, although I personally thought the starter was a little bland and the assiette of desserts looked quite plain, although tasted lovely. Our room for our stay was fantastic, modern yet comfortable and lovely little welcome touches in the room. Breakfast was outstanding, great selection of foods and I loved the jugs of juice in the locally crafted Nicholas Mosse pottery, these looked great! I will definitely be back to visit and this time take in relaxing break and utilise the Spa, as I have hear great reports about it.

Dear Stn_eve

It is nice to know that you have visited the hotel in the past and enjoyed dining with us, and equally pleasing to learn that you enjoyed staying with us overnight whilst celebrating with family and friends.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the wedding party and the great atmosphere and charm of the old house for the drinks reception. We really are very fortunate to have the great combination of old world charm and great stylish facilities at Lyrath estate. I have passed on your comments to Iain and the conference team all of whom have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind comments regarding the wedding celebrations.

I have shared your very kind comments regarding the food, service and cleanliness of the hotel to all of my team members who were really pleased to hear such nice feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for what we can assure you will be another thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a one night dinner bnb package last saturday. Arrived early for check in so we left our bags with the very friendly bellman, and went for a long walk around the grounds which was nice. However our room was not ready til 4.30 pm which was a little annoying. They don't do check in until 4pm which is really very late for a luxury hotel. (must have cut back on cleaning staff cos check out is 12pm, and the rooms still weren't ready by 4pm) Got a complimentary upgrade to an exec room which was lovely, huge king size bed. Very nice room. Headed straight down for a swim and steam room , (very long walk from the room). Pool area is fine, family friendly sort of place, if you want luxury and relaxation, you need to use the spa. There was complimentary wine tasting going on in the wine cellar, which was great, lovely plates of cheese and very generous pourings of many wines, very sociable and casual tasting which we really enjoyed. Had dinner in la perla that night which was delicious, no supplements for beef or any other courses (pet hate of mine), and a very decent a la carte menu to choose from,and service was fantastic. Went for one drink at the bar downstairs after dinner, was pretty quiet. Didn't stay up for live music in the bar upstairs so can't comment on that. Breakfast was top notch, everything you might want, self service, but great quality. Headed to the spa for treatments with my wife after breakfast. The hydrotherapy and sauna area is fab, really nice, however, there are bathrobes but no towels provided and in the mens locker rooms i opened four different lockers and could not find one, so i ended up soaking the floor of the relaxation room, sorry!! I had booked an hour long fullbody massage and a half hour foot massage as a package deal. The full body massage was fine, my therpaist was very friendly, however the foot massage was 10 minutes of sitting in the room on my own with my feet in a basin of hot water, then a 2 minute salt scrub, and about 3 minutes of massaging on each foot. my wife also got a foot massage and her experience was completely different. Also given that i was supposed to be getting 90 minutes, i only got about 75-80 mins and 10 of those minutes were spent with my feet in water, so i didn't feel i got value for money. Aside from the spa treatment, it was a very enjoyable experience for both of us, and we would return.

Dear Davidc1981

Thanks for the time you have taken to contact us on Trip advisor following your recent stay with us at Lyrath estate hotel.

I am really pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for your kind comments in relation to the facilities and service provided.

I am sorry that we were not able to check you into your room on time; it appears that due to a number of late check outs that the team were slightly delayed in getting your room ready in time. We have maintained our staffing levels as normal, and the check in time of 4pm which has always been in place is designed to afford us the ability to maintain the highest levels of cleanliness.

I have also passed on your comments regarding the length of spa treatments to Louise our spa manager who has asked to be associated with my apologies for this shortcoming on our part. Be assured that we have acted positively to prevent a repetition of this problem in the future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed here last Valentine's weekend and it was an amazing experience. Pricey but worth every penny. We got upgraded to a suite which helped! Beautiful, beautiful room. Food and atmosphere in the restaurant was great. We had breakfact in our room. Drinks with music in the bar were lovely. Great grounds. Would return in a heart beat.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Carrickgirl

I appreciate the time you have taken in sharing your feedback on trip advisor following a recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel.

I am pleased you chose us to celebrate your Valentines day, and delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us.

I have shared your very kind comments regarding the food, service and cleanliness of the hotel to all of my team members who were really pleased to hear such fantastic feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for what we can assure you will be another thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here as it was based close to company where I was due to be interviewed the next morning.

Location wise, the hotel is great. The grounds are beautiful and there is a real smooth atmosphere to the place. The golden Labs are beautiful and really friendly, I couldn't believe it at first but you can find out more about them in the Hotel!

I ate at the bar and (of course) the food is expensive but it is great food tastes great. The service is definitely 5* to be fair - they are helpful, courteous and very friendly & profession. The staff around the hotel are great, and very accommodating.
The breakfast is a combo of buffet and menu. I have to admit, the food was great but I found the whole breakfast thing a bit formal (I was tired!!) and it wasn't too relaxed.

The rooms are lovely, the beds are amazingly comfortable too. The bathroom is large bath tub, shower and separate w/c and double sinks. The rooms are spacious and even though there was a family in the room next door, the rooms and hallways were relatively quiet.

It is a few miles outside Kilkenny though so be prepared to fork out for taxis or drive into town.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business