“Lovely lunch at Lyrath”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
“Lovely lunch at Lyrath”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband had a meeting at Lyrath on Saturday 19th so the children and I tagged along and we stayed for lunch. The hotel is lovely, very high end (we wished we were staying!) and we had a chance to see the rooms/pool/restaurant etc. which are very impressive. We ate a lovely lunch in the conservatory where the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. They were happy to accommodate any requests/substitutions from the children and only charged a half portion for my daughters lunch as she only wanted plain pasta. Would definitely return for a stay next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear eaka 2007

I am glad you were able to join with your husband and children to visit us here at Lyrath, and many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor.

It is always a great pleasure to read reviews that recognise the unique and outstanding character of Lyrath, and the team here have asked me to pass on their thanks for such Lovely feedback. The key asset at Lyrath is of course the great team that look after all of our valued customers, they add to the character and charm of Lyrath and add great value to the customer experience.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to Lyrath in the near future, hopefully for a longer overnight visit where you can experience the great range of services and kids activities that we provide.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Iain Gray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
ireland
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend on a post Christmas break. It's a lovely old building with a "modern" extension .
Had a 10 minute wait for a receptionist to appear but from then had a lovely welcome from a very friendly and knowledgeable doorman .
Rooms are very nice with a comfortable bed . Great shower with separate bath. Bathrobes supplied were tiny and years old.
Used the leisure centre which is ok but the extra cash splashed out on the thermal suite was not worth it and judging by how quiet it was others felt the same.
After reading other reviews of the main restaurant we decided to try the Asian restaurant "yindees" it was standard Asian food you would get anywhere,cooked well and served nicely but overpriced by miles !!
Breakfast was great with lovely staff and a great choice . Obviously quality ingredients used which makes a change from other hotels we have visited recently.
Public areas in the hotel are quiet cold but that's understandable because of its design.
Kilkenny is a taxi ride away and the hotel use the same taxi service all the time and this is a great idea and a nice touch.
There is music in the upstairs bar at weekends but it is extremely loud even in reception which is miles away from the singer ,again that's a design issue which in the current economic climate can't be helped or remedied easily.
Does the hotel need a Michael Buble impersonator blasting out song after sound at the top end of the volume scale when it markets itself as a place to have a relaxing break ? We don't think so
All the staff we met over the weekend were lovely and very friendly .
Overall would we go back ? It's 50/50 really . For the price charged there are other hotels in that bracket that are better for sure but Kilkenny is a really lovely city to visit.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank douggym
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Douggym,

Thanks for contacting us Via Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Lyrath Estate; we all appreciate the time taken to share your experiences with us.

I am a firm believer that the character of a property is not restricted to its physical appearance and indeed it is made by the people who serve and look after you. On this occasion we did not set the scene correctly with the warmest welcome for which we are renowned; please accept my apologies for this.

I note and will act on your comments regarding our robes, we have recently invested in replacement stock but it would appear that we still have a number of the older stock in circulation; this is something we will address as a matter of urgency.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the standard of the catering at Lyrath; equally I am interested in the link between service value and price point. With this in mind and as mentioned in previous reviews my team and I are assessing, reviewing and realigning certain areas in terms of price. Our main aim of course is that our service and quality continuously improve and remain consistent, and that perceived value for money is never a concern to our valued guests.

I do hope that you will afford us another opportunity to look after you in the future, and I hope that I can change your perception of 50/50 to 90/10. The team here are very much committed to this aim and will work tirelessly until we have achieved our goal.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had another lovely stay here at the weekend. One of my favourite places in Ireland to go and get away from everything. The staff are lovely, the grounds are amazing & the hotel itself is stunning. So clean! The rooms are spacious & the beds very comfortable. One of the best breakfast buffets you’ll get too! Great selection. Wouldn’t be too impressed with the thai restaurant however. If you’re dining, go to La Perla – much better. All in all a very enjoyable break, we can’t wait to go back

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank verdell2010
Dear Verdell2010

Well what can I say? I agree so strongly that I moved Country to be here!! Thank you for such lovely feedback; it is a huge boost for the team at Lyrath to know their efforts are recognised in such positive terms.

I have already met with Noel Our Head chef and also the head chef of the Thai restaurant to talk through your feedback. We all have a shared belief at Lyrath that feedback is a gift, and one that we embrace and welcome, you have our strongest assurance that we aim to focus our attentions on all dining experiences for the betterment of the product as a whole. Where we get things wrong, we will work hard to get them right, where things are “grand” we will work hard to make them fantastic, our mission is one of continuous improvement.

I look forward to meeting with you personally next time you are with us for what i know will be another great experience, next time you are here please try Yindees again and let me know directly if there is anything else we can do to improve this lovely restaurant.

Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay in the lyrath for 3 nights. Lovely grounds and nice country walks. I had dinner on two nights and the food was very good when compared to 5 star hotels it stood up with them. Great wine selection. Breakfast was wonderful, great selection. Bar is cozy with beautiful views of the garden. The room was very spacious with a large bathroom. Very clean throughout.
My only disappointment came was with the leisure centre. The steam room, sauna was out of order. The towel I got was worn with holes in it, definitely not a good standard. Total let down. For this one aspect I have not returned, pity.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank TravelerExplorerD
Dear Dollybead,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Lyrath Estate Hotel last year in February, and that you have taken time to share your experiences with us.

I am really pleased to that on the whole you very much enjoyed your experiences with us and recognised the quality of the service and catering we provide for our valued guests at Lyrath Estate.

I am also very pleased that you have pointed out some areas where we can improve and indeed we have already recognised your feedback and react to it in a positive manner. Louise our Spa manager has already started an improvement programme and our facilities are now in good working order and we have started to replace our towel stock. That said we have many other areas where we want to improve and enhance the guest experience and have many exciting months ahead of us as we deliver some great improvements to all areas of this magnificent property.

I would be thrilled to be able to welcome you personally back to Lyrath and to show you many of the improvements and enhancements we are making. Please contact me directly and I will gladly discuss these plans with you.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Lovely drive up to the hotel and old house through some magnificent trees with a lake on your left, nice setting to start with.
So checked in and proceeded to our room. It smelled of sewage!! reception upgraded us and changed our room once they sent someone to verify it was sewage and not the leisure center as one staff member tried to advise.
Got a lovely room with huge windows overlooking the gardens.
Ordered room service on the friday night it was absolutely superb. So well presented served on time and a neat little hot box for my main as I was having a starter first. Really felt relaxed in the room having dinner by how well it was all laid out.
Saturday morn breakfast was busy as hell but loads of staff on hand to help. Buffet style with so many choices. The food was lovely and fresh and they had a egg station cooking to order.

We went for a walk in the gardens as they list this as a feature in the hotel. We were told they were about 30mins and 45 mins each. Let me tell you you could walk the entire grounds in little more than 30mins. It was quite a disapointing walk to be honest once you head out beyound the car park they have loads of hotel rubbish/parts for machines, scrap metal, piles of dirt etc etc. all in plain view. They have lovely grounds but in a way they seemed neglected. Grass cut i may add and the walkway around the edges of the fields are cut which is nice. There should be so much more done with the land to make it appealing considering you are on a country estate. It was a boring walk around a field. In front of the old house there is a nice little lake, but once again 10 or 15min is all you need to take in it such a pity. The old house is amazing and well worth having a walk around but you don't feel like they really want you in there. You can stay in the old house but i think you need to book way in advance. Saturday night dinner choices were Tuppers Bar or Yindees a thai place. Thai would be my favourite food but there is no way i would ever pay 25 euro for a thai main dish!!! Starters at 10 euro aswell. We gave it a miss and went to Tuppers bar. quite small and awkward little bar we just happened to get a table as someone was leaving. Dinner was grand but is suppose to be 5 star hotel. same fod as you get in any bar in ireland. Used the pool and steam room area which was included in your cost. Approx 380 euro for 2 nights. But the cheeky place wanted another 30 euro to use the spa facilities. Very cheeky in my opinion based on how much the stay costs.
Nice place, could do more work outside the hotel on the grounds and wildlife etc.
Would probably not go again due to cost/value for money but did have a really nice time.
Not a 5 star place for sure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Diveshark1,

The team are pleased that you chose Lyrath for your recent stay, and also for sharing your experiences with us on Trip advisor.
I am pleased that the team responded promptly and positively to the initial problem encountered in your room namely an unpleasant odour. I personally looked into this matter and it appears the odour was the result of an unmaintained air conditioning filter which from previous experiences can cause an unpleasant odour as you have described. There were and have not subsequently been any problems noted with odour from our rooms and indeed no generic problems with our drains.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your room service and also an extensive and enjoyable albeit very busy Breakfast in La Perla.

I have recently arrived at the hotel and would agree that the walks that we offer are requiring a re think and an enhancement, particularly in the area that adjoins the helicopter hangar to the rear of the property. With this in mind my management team have very recently (within the last month) started to design a much broader range of onsite activities for all of our valued guests in the areas immediately adjacent to the hotel. One of our key aims this coming year is to make much more and effective use of the land.

The accessibility and the exposure of the old house is also very much at the forefront of our plan for the coming year, and following similar feedback we will be making much better use of this area when available. You are quite right it is a magnificent area and one I think we should be very proud to display and share with each and every customer.

I am also pleased to note that myself and the food and beverage team will be reviewing all menus and price points in the coming weeks. I am keen that every customer feels that they have experienced great Value for money, namely that they are pleased to pay for the quality they receive both in terms of amount and complexity.

I am also pleased to note that by mid February we will be opening up existing space within the hotel offering more space to all our valued guests and offering two more dining g options at different times of the day. Tuppers through its popularity can from time to time be very busy, and as such we have recognised the need to relieve some of the pressure it comes under at busy times.

Feedback is a gift and one the whole team at Lyrath Embrace with the clear aim of continually adapting and improving the guest experience. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay, and also pleased to recognise your feedback with positive and productive changes.

I hope to meet with you personally in the near future and to show you the improvements and enhancements we are making at Lyrath Estate.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Myself and my partner decided to take a short post Christmas break and after a bit of research and seeing many positive reviews, both online and from family and friends, we decided to treat ourselves to a 3 night stay in Lyrath Estate, which proved to be mostly disappointing.

When choosing this hotel you should be aware, as others have noted, that this is not an old estate house transformed into a hotel, it is rather a modern hotel attached to an old estate house. The old part of the house was very unwelcoming and not really used as part of the hotel at all. There are two doors into the old house from the hotel lobby, both of which were closed all the times, with little indication that these were the entrance to the old house. There were Christmas decorations and a tree in the hall of the old house, none of which were turned on at any time. We were so disappointed by this that one of the evenings we felt compelled to turn them on ourselves, to bring some life to the house. There was a sign in the old house for a lounge which consisted of several beautiful rooms all of which had, what seemed to be, original fireplaces which disappointingly were never lit. Despite the the beauty of these rooms there was no atmosphere or anything to encourage people to spend time in them. We really felt that the old house was very much under utilised. The hotel is set on very nice grounds. There is a walking trail, which is signposted, from in front of the old estate house. The walk, which takes about 20 minutes, follows the river beside the hotel and is worth a look.

The bedroom was comfortable and spacious. The ensuite had a separate bath and shower, which I prefer to the bath/shower arrangement that you find in many hotels. The breakfast was in the La Perla restaurant, where the staff were very helpful and efficient. There was a wide selection of food and drinks available although the hot food was very greasy. The X bar, located behind Yindees restaurant, had music on both the Friday and Saturday night. We were not aware of this prior to hearing the singer whilst sitting in reception on the Friday night. After hearing him we decided to go up for a look, and we were glad we did. The signer was very good, sang a quite eclectic mix of songs and had a great rapport with the crowd between songs. After having had a great night in the bar on the Friday we were looking forward to returning on the Saturday. Unfortunately the girl signing on the Saturday was disappointing and not able to create the same kind of atmosphere.

After being disappointed by the selection and quality of the over priced wine available on the wine list we were curious if we could bring a wine that we liked and pay a corkage fee. When I rang reception to enquire about this the receptionist was unsure and said that she would ask a manager and call me back with an answer. About an hour later we had decided to go into town so on the way out I spoke to a girl on reception to inform her that I would not be in my room and could be contacted on my mobile. She informed me that the duty manager was aware of my question and would get back to me shortly. 5 hours after my initial query I had still not received any answer so I decided to go down to reception in person. There had been a change over of staff at reception and they had no knowledge of my query. The reception manager was able to tell straight away that the hotel policy was not to allow this.

In general we found the staff to be friendly and efficient. One in particular was one of the bar man working in the X bar on the Saturday night. After one of his colleagues had a mix up with our drinks he corrected it, was very apologetic and offered us a complimentary drink for the inconvenience, which I did not expect but was much appreciated. Although I was in general impressed, there was not anything about the staff which particularly made me feel that I was staying in a 5 star hotel.

After having eaten in town the two previous nights myself and my partner decided to eat in the hotel on the Saturday night, and had planned on having food in the bar at half 7. When we arrived we asked for menus and were told that the bar doesn’t serve food after 7 on Fridays and Saturdays, which seems like a ploy to force people to eat in the two other restaurants. After looking at the menus for both restaurants, which seemed very overpriced for the food on offer, we decided to try Yindees Thai restaurant. We were seated promptly and had our order taken in a timely manner as well, but that’s where the quality of the service stopped. At no point during the meal were we checked on to see if our food was ok or if we wanted anything else. Other tables around us had water and wine poured for them during their meal, a courtesy which was not extended to us. The food was certainly not 5 star quality, it is the same as you would receive in every takeaway around the country. One thing that is not gotten from every takeaway around the country is the nausea that both myself and my partner experienced the next day. Obviously I am aware that this is implicating the restaurant in giving us food poisoning, which is a serious allegation and one that I do not make lightly. As with any suspected case of food poisoning it can be very hard to pin point the source, but given that the restaurant was the only time that day that both myself and my partner had the same food, it is the most likely culprit.

All in all our stay was very disappointing and the only thing that I could say was actually 5 star about the hotel were the prices. For anyone planning a trip to Kilkenny, which I would recommend, I would certainly not be able to recommend staying at Lyrath estate. I would instead recommend staying at a hotel in town which is closer to the many wonderful pubs, shops and restaurants Kilkenny has to offer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brendan F
Dear Brendan F

Thank you for choosing Lyrath Estate Hotel for your recent short break, and for your candid and very detailed feedback on Trip Advisor, this as with all feedback is very gratefully received.

It is pleasing to note that you chose to be with us following positive feedback from friends and family who clearly have enjoyed their experiences at Lyrath, and from the many positive reviews you had read on this property.

I note and have considered your comments in relation to the nature and presentation of the property, and as you have alluded, the hotel is a combination of a magnificently restored 18th century house and an extensive and tasteful modern extension; we do make this very clear in all our collateral and indeed our images on both the web site and all review sites in order that all our guests are very aware of the nature and presentation of this beautiful property; indeed we also make it clear in the name of the hotel, Lyrath estate hotel and convention centre, in order to avoid any confusion which is something I have experienced in past hotels that have been modernised yet still refer to themselves as “country House”. I like to think as do the vast majority of our valued guests that we offer the best of both worlds, through a combination of old world heritage charm and modern style and amenity in the main hotel and convention centre.

I would like to apologise openly for the fact that my guest relations and management teams failed to give you a proper show round of the old house and to explain the history of the original house, and indeed to explain that the original house whilst often privately booked by clients is very much accessible to all valued guests when not being used. I have asked my guest relations team to revisit the dressing of the rooms in terms of lighting the fires and lighting standards; whilst at the same time being mindful of the safety considerations of unsupervised open fires. This feedback is very much appreciated and we will endeavour to improve our show round standards, and room dressing standards.

I am pleased that you appear to have enjoyed the bedroom facilities and the range of food available in La Perla restaurant for breakfast. I am assuming that the elements of breakfast you found to be greasy were those that we fried, namely the sausages and eggs. I have asked my chef to revisit the cooking method of our sausages and to ensure that we prepare these in the oven rather than frying, again a valid point well received by the team.

I am glad that you enjoyed the entertainment in our very popular X – Bar on your first night, and I accept that in our endeavour to give all our valued guests a different choice of entertainment over the weekend that we will not satisfy all musical tastes every time.

Forgive any confusion or delay in clarifying that we do not operate a corkage policy that allows guests to bring their own wine into the hotel outlets. My operations team regularly benchmark our pricing on wine against a range of local and national competitors and this was done as recently as December, post duty and excise increases which saw a average 20% increase in all wines on a national level; I am glad to report that the range quality and price of our specially chosen wine list still represents great value for money. We have considered stocking some cheaper ranges of wine and have indeed trialled this with guests and team members alike; the feedback we received was that the quality and extensive range of prices gave the vast majority of customers a broad choice of styles and price points to choose from.

I was of course personally disappointed to learn that the service in our Thai restaurant fell short of your expectation. I have discussed this feedback at length with my Operations manager and Restaurant manager who have asked to be associated with my apology for this lapse in our standards. It would appear from your feedback that whilst other guests were being well looked after that for some reason you were not, I would agree strongly that this inconsistency is not acceptable and has been addressed in the clearest terms internally.

Please contact me directly regarding your assertion that you felt you had suffered an alleged food poisoning incident caused by food consumed in our restaurant. We have a very strict and diligent system of Critical Control Point Analysis and food diligence that takes every precaution to prevent any harm coming to our guests and colleagues alike. In addition we audit our kitchens frequently both internally and externally to ensure very robust safe working practices are in operation.

The suggestion and as you have noted “serious allegation” that our food has been responsible for an alleged posted on a public forum without any communication to any members of my team does seem more than a little unfair. The fact that no other guests or staff members have suffered any symptoms attributable to food poisoning, the fact that I received no personal contact from any guests including yourselves, and the fact that we produce our food in traceable batches does lead me to one conclusion; It is most likely from your description, that you have suffered an episode of the very common Noro-virus more commonly known as “the Winter Vomiting Disease” which is especially prevalent at this time of the year and can be mistaken for a food borne illness. Over 750k people have been effected by this in recent months although government sources feel that the number of unreported cases may be more than triple this amount; the symptoms of this illness are nausea vomiting and diarrhoea. If the symptoms last more than 72 hrs doctors recommend that anyone affected by the illness submit samples for analysis.

I do hope that you are now in good health and fully recovered, and I would be pleased if you could make contact me in order that I record your details for our records, as we do note and follow up on all alleged food incidents.

In closing I would like to once again thank you for contacting us via Trip Advisor and also for your valued and candid feedback. I do hope that i have the opportunity of discussing your feedback personally in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed one night only -oh how I wish it was more! -at the beautiful @Lyrath Estate Hotel in Kilkenny, Ireland. The hotel with its mix of old and modern is a delight and the convention centre is excellent with a great range of room sizes and great flexibility. Food great and staff exceptional!

I can't wait to return - well worth the 360 mile round trip!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Anne Doherty

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us, following your stay at Lyrath Estate Hotel in January.

We are really pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and chef was particularly grateful for your lovely comments about the food. The rest of the team have also asked me to pass on their thanks for the very kind comments you made regarding their service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate Hotel.

Best wishes