“Lovely little gem!”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely little restaurant. Although there isn't a huge choice of menu, the food is delicious, plentiful and very nicely presented. The staff are very friendly and attentive. The setting is beautiful and the little courtyard charming. I think it says a lot when the locals eat here regularly! I would definitely recommend a visit to the chapter rooms!

2  Thank Travellingcatcatcat

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

This little cafe is worth seeking out for a spot of lunch on the grounds of st Mary's cathedral. It's really warm and inviting with lovely windows and arched doorway. There's seating outside also for when the sun is shining surrounded by the cathedral.

The menu has lots of choice and there's a specials board too - great for me, I'm a veggie but also for the carnivore hubby. I had the nut loaf and he had seafood chowder and a beef lasagne. Really tasty and looked great. Yummy desserts too. Chocolate biscuit cake and real homemade apple tart.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
Reasonable prices for great food.
Would def go back for lunch or just a coffee. Lovely spot to meet for a chat with friends.
No complaints here, nom nom nom.

2  Thank EmmaClare
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The chapter house is hidden away and should be the highlight of anyones visit to this historical city. We were seeing the sights and happen to find the chapter house. In the quaint surroundings of the Cathedral, we entered and went down a winding staircase to find a very beautiful restaurant serving fresh food, very tasty, reasonable, and service with a smile. We sat and felt we had been transported to different world. We left feeling relaxed, enjoyed the great food and wished we could visit more often. A must if you are around for locals and tourists alike.

1  Thank lehzack
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Found this little place on my travels and love it. Great food,great staff and the owner Katie is always there to say "Hello". I always try and stop for a cuppa and a bite when in Kilkenny.

1  Thank Luke S
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have to say, I was bowled over when I went to this restaurant the other day. A friend of my mam's recommended it to me, because she knows how much myself and my friends like quaint and unique places to eat and this certainly fit the bill. We entered from the James' street side, and a feeling of warmth and homely-ness hit me immediately. The restaurant was bright and spacious, with gorgeous old worldly arched doors, stony walls and central pillar.

As for the food and service, I can't complain. I see that two reviewers before me commented on the lack of gluten free food, but I think they might have changed their menus since then or something, as my coeliac friend had a wide selection available to her (she had soup and bread, followed by a nutloaf and salad) I had the special of the day, fish cakes and a sublime slice of chocolate biscuit cake afterwards. The staff were friendly, with 2 young local kids working there, which is always nice to see.

All in all it was a very enjoyable afternoon. One thing I noticed was that there was no music playing in the background. Usually I wouldn't like this, as I think it makes restaurants see more empty and bare, but here I think it added a bit to the calm atmosphere. I really do think this place has something special, and I'm definitely going back.