“Service with a scowl!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Fig Tree Restaurant

The Fig Tree Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 216 Restaurants in Kilkenny
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Fig Tree Restaurant is built around an ethos of freshly prepared food sourced from local, Irish ingredients, in a relaxed casual dining setting. All of our food is prepared in our kitchen from scratch from our local minced beef for our burgers to our hand crafted cakes and pastries using the finest grains from the local granary. Our coffee is ethically sourced and selected and roasted to our own requirements, offering you the perfect cup every time. To compliment our dishes we also serve O' Hara's Irish Craft Beers and house red and white wine. We place particular emphasis on our service and friendly customer relations, ensuring every guest enjoys their visit. For those with celiac dietary requirements, we provide a range of gluten free options, both savoury and sweet. Our promise is fresh, hand prepared food in a comfortable setting. Looking forward to your visit. Yours, Chef Prop. Thomas Clarke.
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Service with a scowl!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

Food and coffee good but the service, although reasonably quick, left a lot to be desired. An older lady barked at us to find a seat upstairs and then couldn't have looked more unhappy at having to come up and serve us! Would eat there again if the staff were a little more friendly.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thomas C, Owner at The Fig Tree Restaurant, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hi there, I would like to respond to your review that you left on tripadvisor. Firstly i would like to thank you for taking the time to do so as we value our customers opinion and for giving us your business in the first place. I am glad you liked our food and coffee thank you for saying so, I am sorry that you felt one of my waitresses was less than polite to you on arrival and on taking your order I can assure you that this would be very much out of character for any of my staff as they know that our customers are very important to us. I would hope that you would give us another visit so we might redeem our good name for our friendliness and hospitality.
kind regards.
Thomas.

Donegal Town, Ireland
“traceable and authentic food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

the fig tree restaurant is a real jewel in the city, we went in to see the original stone wall of kilkenny city while on a family getaway to the county. the meet was traceable back to the butchers and the fish in the fish burger was traceable back to the local fish mongers! we went back there for lunch every day for the duration of our stay, the staff were helpful and child friendly and even carried the baby seat up stairs for us. the lasagnes burgers and chocolate fudge cakes went down a real treat, our children really enjoyed the burgers, which they gave in child portions. we got the impression that the staff enjoyed working there which added to the ambience.

• Visited October 2013
Limerick, Ireland
“Great value and will be back on my next visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

during my stay in Kilkenny with my friends, we popped in for a quick dinner and I must say it was really relaxing. the staff were chatty, efficient and helpful. we sat on the second floor by the window and had a good view of the city's beautiful historic high street! the place was also warm. we all had the the burgers, which were all home made and very filling with healthy portions of wedges. the O'haras craft ale complimented the meal as a whole. most importantly the quality of the food was excellent. the cakes were unreal and we came back the following day to buy rockyrode and caramel slices to take back for home. a real gem!

Galway, Ireland
“Good friendly service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Went in there with my friends over the weekend as we were at the Kilkenomics festival and nipped in for a bite to eat. My friends has chocolate fudge cake and ice cream which was really nice and I had a lasagne and wedges with a craft beer. We will definitely be back again.!

Tullamore
“Great for family lunch.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

The family and I were in Killkenny for the Kilkenomics festival over the weekend and around lunch time the kids were getting hungry. We asked a local on the street to recommend a nice spot for lunch and they gave us directions to "The Fig Tree". The restaurant was very easy to find and offered a wide range of food. We were very happy with the food and service, all the staff were very attentive and pleasant. The place was very clean and had a nice atmosphere. I have recommended this restaurant to all of my friend at home.
Ps, the Chicken Vol au Vonts and Homemade burgers are to die for!