“Great spot for a snack”

Cleere's Bar and Theatre
Ranked #5 of 33 Nightlife in Kilkenny
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Our tour guide from Smithwicks Brewery recommended for a late lunch and a pint. It was an excellent choice. Traditional atmosphere with fresh local soup, bown bread and a pint of Guinness. Unfortunately we missed the trad music but I'm sure the venue would be excellent. Lots of beers on tap and of course it has Smithwicks which is brewed right across the street.

There are newer reviews for Cleere's Bar and Theatre

Reviewed September 5, 2013

My family spent one night in Kilkenny, just across the street from Cleere's. We had one of our favorite evenings at Cleere's, listening to traditional Irish music and hearing locals sing and recite poetry. When the bar closed down, we stayed on for a few minutes sharing stories with one of the local singers. He and a few friends sang a round of "Molly Malone" with my husband, daughter and I. This was a highlight of our trip!

1  Thank maureen f
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Recommended by local taxi driver we had a bite to eat in the venue before a jazz concert in the cathedral up the street. Not surprisingly we ended up there again after the concert. Place was pretty busy at this time but audience and performers from the concert mingled happily, pints in hand.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Absolutely great little pub with some of the best under rated and lesser known bands travelling around Ireland playing in the back room. Have been down numerous times for the famous soup and doorstop sandwiches after being recommended to me by so many friends. If it's on the menu, get the Sweet Potato and Spicy Red Pepper soup.... Oh my days! Great place to go and great staff!

Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stopped here on the recommendation of the tour guide from Smithwick's. I'm glad we did! It was the middle of the day, so there wasn't anything going on, but the atmosphere was great, the folks were friendly, and the beer was awesome.

We did grab soup and sandwiches there. The soup was really good, the sandwiches were just....toasted sandwiches. But hey, when you are hungry at 2 in the afternoon, you take what you can get!

This is well worth a visit, and I'm sure it is even better in the evenings.