“Cute little cafe, excellent food!”
Review of Cafe Mocha - CLOSED

Cafe Mocha
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 5, 2013

A very nice and cute little cafe in the middle of Kilkenny. Really did not expect to see such place if looking from the outside. Once you get on the stairs, it really transformed and somehow it reminds me a bit of salon de thé type cafe in France! Excellent choices of cupcakes, chocolates, coffee, tea, and also nice lunch they served. Really recommend this place for a quiet afternoon of tea or even a sweet-toothed high tea! Will definitely come back again!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Superb ingredients, superb atmosphere and excellent service. By day a cafe for a decadent (and well priced) lunch where you can buy lots of nice things for the house (kitchenware and small ornaments) and by night a superb restaurant (by no means budget but worth every single cent!). My only complaint was not having room for dessert at the end of my evening meal.

1  Thank Scott G
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Located on the first floor near the Tholsel on High Street this cafe was doing a roaring trade when we arrived at lunchtime. The menu was varied and the quality was good. The cafe was full of locals having their lunch, which is always a good recommendation. It’s difficult to describe the decor, but we’ve uploaded a couple of pics. Words like quaint and cute come to mind. It was reasonably priced and very tasty, with excellent coffee. Looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Very unusual little cafe, lovely coffee and assorted cakes and sweets are a real temptation.Very cluttered, though that kind of added to the charm.

1  Thank terryfandorla
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Two of my friends and I stopped by this cafe while on a Paddywagon tour that stopped in Kilkenny. After wandering around, starving, we stopped to look at several menus hanging in different restaurant windows. As a vegeterian, I found nothing to eat at other places.

Enter Cafe Mocha. The outside is small, but has an adorable sign out front. We decided to give it a try. Upon walking in, there are tables full of dessert throughout the front. Everything looked delicious! We sat down, and looked over the menu. I opted for the Choose Two- with a tuna melt and the veg soup. My friend got the choose two with the turkey sandwich and veg soup, and the other ordered Fried Haddock with chips.

The choose two was reasonable priced (9 euro), and I expected only half a sandwich and cup of soup. I was pleasantly surprised when I received a whole sandwich and cup of soup. The sandwich was delish, but the soup wasn't my favorite. My friends haddock, however, was delicious!! The turkey sandwich, according to my friend, was excellent.

Two of us opted for dessert- the best decision of the meal. I ordered the Carrot Cake, and my friend ordered a Hazelnut Brownie. The Carrot Cake was hands down the best carrot cake I have had in my entire life. It was more of a carrot, orange, lemon zest cake. It was light, fruity, and fresh. It was topped with a cream cheese frosting, with I'm assuming some amaretto in it. The cake was topped with thinly sliced almonds. Hands down amazing- I'm dreaming of it at least once a week. I tried the brownie- amazing ad well.

After paying, the owner asked us how we had found cafe mocha. We said we had wandered and just found it. He then said we couldn't leave without a truffle, and handed each of us a delicious homemade truffle.

Overall, excellent experience. Next time I'm in Ireland I will have to stop in again!