“Great Hotel ,but some staff need a leash”

Langton House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Hotel ,but some staff need a leash”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Stayed in Langton's last summer, loved it all in all. Check in was made unpleasant by a rather ignorant blonde who seemed to take it upon herself to discipline me as though she was a school principal,which once I got passed the ridiculousness of,was actually amusing. This is to date the only hotel I have stayed in where a staff member scolded me for making simple requests. One was checking in as soon as possible as I had appointments to keep.She looked at me as though there was royalty cleaning the room and I how dare I want early access to a room I just paid for. When I eventually was granted access to my room she offered to get someone to take my luggage up,I accepted. About 1 minute after shutting the door there was a knock..it was Ms.School Principal blonde pointing to the floor and sarcastically uttering:"there's your bag". I faked a smile and thanked her while in total disbelief.
The rest of my staynwas flawless as I didn't have to deal with her again!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BeeHotelReview

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Czech first
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The motto of this Hotel must be "No trouble at all" as the hotel staff repeat and practice it all the time. They really do care that you get what you need to enjoy your stay. We enjoyed a two night stay this Easter and were upgraded to a suite at the top of the hotel with its own dressing room, settee, comfy chairs, safe and all the extras you would expect from a four start hotel. We dined in the Langton Room and the meal was really very good without being fussy. Breakfast was plentiful and filling. Kilkenny is a great city to explore with its Castle, Kilkenny Design Centre, Cathedrals, Rothe museum and good shopping. A 30 min trip on the Kilkenny Tourist Train is a worthwhile excursion and the Anglican St. Canices Cathedral a must.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to room number 9 or 10 at the top of the Hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Theossies
County Louth, Ireland
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Me and my fiancée came on a two night stay we stayed in the garden suites and was a lovely room and the shops are very close the food was nice enough the portions are big I'm a chef so I'm a bit picky with meat and I had the lamb and it was excellent the town is very busy and all smiles round I would recommend here to anybody thanks very much had a great time :)

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jay9t3
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed there last weekend and the experience was great. Checkin started a good time - friendly and positive. Then we ended up in the Garden Suites - fantastic! Beautiful room with everything required - including peaceful sleep that was close enough to as much madness as you mat want!

Breakfast excellent and location better. Happy to recommend.

Room Tip: Garden Suites!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frank o
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Loved the experience at this hotel, staff very friendly and the room was brilliant.
Great location surrounded by great bars and restaurants, including the bar and restaurant in th hotel.
Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank dever99
Fort Smith, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed March 28, 2014

On a recent holiday in March, 2014, we stayed in Langton House Hotel. It is a beautiful hotel in walking distance of all the sights. The staff was very friendly and helpful with information on what to see and where to find the places. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wincie H
West of Ireland
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I'm sorry but I did not like this place. How did it get its 4stars? Where are the "lovely rooms" everyone writes about. I will say THE FOOD IS LOVELY. THE STAFF ARE (MOSTLY) LOVELY.
That's the end of my appreciation of the place. No one seems to have noticed that ALL of the ground floor is divided into 4 pubs that get very noisey at night, no it was noisey by evening time. All of the pubs are big on a grand scale, I guess one is an "eating house" alright but the entire ground floor heaves to the sound of raised voices and er, clinking glasses. As I reavelled to Kilkenny on my own, I expected and got an inferior room at the going rate of course. the room was dark, the furniture was dark, the bathroom wasn't dark for some reason, it . My view was a wall witha bit of a hedge between me and the wall, I was one floor up, so I'm not sure where the hedge came from. If I leaned out the window I could see the glass roof of one of the pubs and the sky.
There are no additional services that would make this 4star hotel. No pool, no fitness centre, no spa facilities. Individual members of staff were really very nice.

Room Tip: If you are over 30 - move on.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo