“Loved Langtons”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
dublin
“Loved Langtons”
Reviewed March 20, 2008

just back from a wonderful mid-week break at Langtons. We got a great deal on two nights B&B plus one evening meal. I booked by phone and when the receptionist heard it was my first visit she gave me a free upgrade to the penthouse suite! The staff were uniformly helpful and friendly and the modern take on art deco style in the design and furnishings were very much to my liking.

• Liked — Fantastic room
  • Disliked — no problems really
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Czech first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 4, 2008

I had my hens weekend in Langtons and from start to finish l could not fault this hotel in any way. Hotel, decor, staff and service was the best l have experienced in a very very long time. We paid 210euro for friday and saturday night, that included breakfast both mornings 3 course dinner on the Saturday and free pass into the nightclub on the saturday night, fantastic value for money. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of going to Kilkenny for a stay, especially if your going for a lively stay as Langtons is one, if not the main attraction at night.

• Liked — Staff, Service Cleanliness & Location
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank RMcDublin_Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 28, 2007

We stayed at Langtons having read some good reviews on Trip Advisor, and granted, the rooms are pretty nice and I imagine it is one of the best hotels in Kilkenny. The restaurant seems to be pretty terrible, we had a light meal there and the sauce of mine was tinned mushroom soup! The breakfast, which we had in our room, was lovely and far better than the food we had the day before. Anyway, basically you can see what they were trying to do with the decor, sort of a chic modern minimalist look, but they missed the mark by doing a cheap job, and the chipped veneer gives it away all over the bedroom and bathroom. It is definitely not what I would expect from a four star, the bed seemd nice but wasn't very comfortable, and the pillows were awful. All in all ok, but definitely not great.

• Liked — Room was quite nice
  • Disliked — The food in the restaurant
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dublinyogi
Dublin
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Stayed here as part of a group of 6 for just one night (Saturday). Booked at the very last minute as another hotel in the city had messed up our booking. The receptionist was very friendly and efficient. The rooms were surprisingly nice, with great big bathrooms and a super power shower! Food was superb in the hotel and most of the waiting & bar staff were quite friendly too. The nite club that evening was heaving with people but the bar & door staff seemed well able to cope. The following day after we checked out, we stayed around in the bar & had some food. There was a great atmosphere around the place. The only problem was that there did not appear to be enough staff working that day and I was left waiting 10 minutes at the bar just to get a drink and another 40 minutes to get a table for dinner. The staff that were there were apologetic for this delay.. I would definitley stay here again and would recommend it large broups going to Kilkenny.

• Liked — Cental location
  • Disliked — Waiting for a drink at the bar!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank DubGirl3014
Shankill, Ireland
Reviewed July 25, 2007

I booked my stag party in Langtons months ago. I have stayed at Langtons before but never with so many other people (29 on the stag in total). I was apprehensive about it this time as I had heard that Kilkenny was clamping down on stag and hen weekends. I have to say though that my fears were for nothing. As usual Langtons handled everything with the usual cheerful, breezy efficiency. We were given one family room (for three people) and thirteen twin rooms (for the other 26). I sent a list and the deposit to the hotel months ago. The reception took the booking in their stride and nobody had any complaints. Some of the lads ate in the hotel and they said that it was superb. Some others only had breakfast the following morning. In all cases, no complaints and very complimentary to me about the quality of the food. I didn't get up for the breakfast as my head was pounding ! The only prohibitive part of the experience was the cost. It was 200 euros per twin room and 300 euros for the family room. This was fairly steep but not unusual for Kilkenny in peak season. I must compliment the bar staff in Langtons as well. The service was top class and they reassured us that stags in Kilkenny were always welcome despite the poor press. So much for bars closing at 1.30am all over Kilkenny. I fell out of the residents bar at 4.30am !!!!!

Overall, I would never stay anywhere else in Kilkenny than Langtons. It is very central and the staff are always very friendly.

• Liked — Friendly staff and location. Quality of rooms and restaurant
  • Disliked — Very expensive for one night in a twin room !
  • Stayed July 2007
1 Thank BurstYourBubble
dublin, ireland
Reviewed July 2, 2007

I was part of a group of (quiet!) girls that went to Kilkenny for a weekend. We arrived in groups of two-three. From the second we walked in we were treated quite rudely. The receptionist ignored us, then told us to sit down and wait, then served a couple that came in after us, after we asked another girl could she check us in the original receptionist was told to serve us. She then demanded we pay upfront, and although the money had already been paid by another person who had arrived earlier she wouldn't let us check in unless a credit card was swiped. The hotel had no record of my name being booked in - it was mixed up with another girls surname.

We only booked this place because we would have free access to the nightclub - they were aware of this when we booked, but then once she gave us our free passes she took them back saying it wasn't open that night due to a wedding. A wedding they would have known about months in advance! When my friend said "oh that's a pity you didn't tell us earlier as we were to meet people here, is there anywhere else you'd recommend in town?" the receptionist snorted. We were given wrong directions to our room, a guy hauling kegs came to our rescue and showed us the secret panel we had to press, in a different corridor to the one we'd been told to go to.

Once up the stairs with no lift, we discovered we had been given more than one wrong key. We'd gone into someone elses room.

When we met up with some of the others they too had similar difficulties with the receptionist, one girl was quite upset.

The rooms were overpriced for what we got. 5 to a room in one case. Shower not working in another. The furniture was cheap, and worn.

Food would have been nice, if we hadn't been rushed through it to make way for diners coming in after us.

Trying to get back in to the hotel that night took quite a while, as the night porter had gone off his post. Two of us complained to an unfortunate waiter, who at least had the manners to listen to us. One very nice man brought tea for our group and let us into the residents bar, even though we had been told we couldn't go there as we weren't part of the wedding group.

I have family in the area and so know Kilkenny quite well. This is an establishment that knows it has a well known name and therefore feels as if it can treat customers like pieces of meat, as there'll always be the next group queuing up at the door. There are plenty of nice, classy places in the area that don't charge an arm and a leg for substandard service.

A letter of complaint, with more complaints then those written above, was ignored by the manager.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled with friends
10 Thank pinkflowers
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 9, 2007

Spent a perfect NYE weekend at the Langtons. We found it to be an excellent hotel in terms of comfort, decor and location. The staff were incredibly friendly and always smiling. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Service & Decor
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank janetmiyasaki