“See it before it's GONE!”

Smithwick's Experience Kilkenny
Book In Advance
More Info
$13.69*
and up
Smithwick's Experience Kilkenny Entrance Ticket
Ranked #2 of 72 things to do in Kilkenny
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the heart of Kilkenny city, Smithwick's Experience Kilkenny is a multi-sensory experience that immerses you in the history of Ireland's oldest ale. Get a flavour for how our famous ale has been crafted over generations and finish with a cool refreshing pint in the comfort of our Smithwick's Experience Bar. Audio guides also available in French, German, Spanish and Italian. Come to Kilkenny and discover the craft.
Anchorage AK
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“See it before it's GONE!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We just got back from a trip to Ireland and we stopped for a visit at "Smit-icks" brewery. Our guide was very informative about the history of the family, the area and the brewery. Lovely abbey ruins onsite and a great pint of ale when it's done. Unfortunately, the brewery will close by the end of this year and the production will move to Dublin. Shame for the local area and it's people though. Enjoy it while you can!

Visited June 2013

• Czech first
  • Greek first
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Very interesting & great value for money.”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Did this tour today, really enjoyed it. Great value for money priced at €10 which includes the nicest pint of smithicks i ever tasted at the end of the tour. Tour guide was great, she was so informative, had great knowledge of the town & history of the smithicks factory & family. Sadly the factory is due to close before the year ends so if you get the chance strongly recommend you do this tour. Book in advance as spaces fill up quickly & tour groups are quite small.

Visited July 2013
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fun tour with happy ending.”
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed this tour of the Smithwicks (don't pronounce the 'w') Brewery. We went on Saturday, so there wasn't production going on at that time. Mid-week tours might be more interesting for that reason. It was still fun to see their equipment and hear about the history of Smithwicks and how the beer is brewed. The tour ends in the underground cellar bar with a free pint. My wife, who doesn't drink beer, was gracious enough to give me her pint. I gladly obliged and enjoyed 2 free pints. Now that's a happy ending!

Note: the tours fill up fast, so it's a good idea to book online or go ahead of time to purchase tickets and then return later. Once the tour quota is filled they turn people away, so don't show up right at tour time and expect to get in. I'd hate for you to miss this opportunity. Also, Smithwicks will be closing their brewery in Kilkenny at the end of 2013 and moving to Dublin. A piece of history will be gone, so I highly recommend visiting in 2013 if you're there.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jeffe13
Anaheim, California
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Awesome tour!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My fiance and I partially went to Kilkenny to experience this tour. Smithwick's is my favorite beer by far and I wanted to see the brewery before it closed its doors. I was not dissapointed in the least! Our tour guide was great and you can tell he truly loves his job. Not only was there historical facts, but we were also shown how Smithwick's is being brewed today. I loved every minute of it and I would definitely reccommend this tour to anyone who is considering it. It is only 10 euro and there are a few times a day the tour is held. I believe they are held at 12:30, 1:30, and 3:30. Plus you are poured the perfect pint at the end of the tour in the cellar bar. It's simply great!

Visited May 2013
Toronto, Canada
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Very Authentic Tour”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I did both the Guinness Tour and Smithwicks... And they are drastically different from each other. Smithwicks is very authentic... You are on the brewery property, have to wear a safety vest/glasses and go into where the beer is made and people are working. You learn a lot about the history of the brewery... Both the site it's on, and the company. It also gives some history on Ireland and beer. The tour is great, you get to see the ruins from the old monastery that was there, visit the tasting room and go inside. Afterwards you get a pint at their pub. Excellent guide, well knowledgable and a really enjoyable and very real tour. It didn't feel like a tourist trap which I enjoyed.

Visited May 2013