“HIGHLY RECOMMEND”
Review of Metropole hotel

Metropole hotel
Reviewed May 28, 2013

FIRST IMPRESSION was owners are lovely, friendly and very helpful people. Rooms are clean with fresh linen and towels. After staying in many places we were pleasantly surprised to see an ensuite in the room, with a hot high pressure shower. We were given complementary breakfast and received information on things to do in Kilkenny. We stayed two nights and had dinner both nights in the pub downstairs, meals were cheap, filling and delicious. The Pub has a very welcoming feeling about it and the bar staff (Lisa and Sarah) are very friendly and attentive. The second night we enjoyed a live traditional Irish band who were a hoot. Also the central location makes it very easy to walk to all the main attractions.
OVERALL i would recommend this Pub/Hostel to everyone.
Thank you again Ceartan for the warm welcome and friendly atmosphere the whole time. We will be back again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Skye E

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We ate lunch at Metropole (we did not stay at the hotel). The food was cheap and good! I ordered a cheese and pickle sandwich and when it was served I said "what is this?" "Pickle" in Ireland means pickled vegetables--onion, gerkin, and some other stuff. The pickle sauce was purple. It tasted fine and I'm glad I tried it, just very different from America!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MJay5
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I did not stay at this hotel but stopped in for lunch while wandering the streets of Kilkenny. We sat at the bar and I wish I could remember the name of the bartender, she was very pleasant. I had the cabbage and ham and my husband had the fish and chips. We both enjoyed our meals and the bartender told us about the various local beers to try. Hubby had his first Smithwick's here and it quickly became his beer of choice for the rest of the trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rjintx
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I was backpacking through Ireland with my friend and we stopped in here on a whim because it was all we saw in the town that was cheap and available. It was totally great, we walked in and the owner greeted us and told us about other guest our age staying there.

The rooms were very clean and quiet. We ended up hanging out in the bar area because they had live music and it was a nice group of people to talk with. It seemed like the place to be because it was packed, even with people staying other places.

In the morning I came down for a cup of coffee and the bartender was so nice and the owner even let us use his laptop to find our next hostel in another town. He gave us great advice about Ireland and being two girls in an unfamiliar place we felt very safe!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jess406
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed here a while back. Absolutely horrible place when we first came in the owner was very nice so we didnt complain about the disgusting bathroom and spider webs all around the window sills and damp spots on the wall. We were in a biggish group for a stag so we were expecting just a bed anyway(something rough and ready) so it wasnt the end of the world. But then owner wouldnt stop complaining and giving out over a bit of noise(like an i pod playing and bit of drunken laughter) and made us all pay extra for noise pollution and kept our deposit aswell. He pretends to b nice but is full of crap. The lad that organised the stag asked the owner before the stag was booked did he accomodate stags and he said yes, So he shouldnt of expected a bunch of lads to go str8 to bed after the pubs close. Like nothing was damaged we were just a bit noisy. Once he has your money ur screwed. Dont pay him till after ur stay. Its a hostel not a hotel i dont know why he has hotel painted on the side of his old filthy damp building.
So for 2 smallish dorms with beds squashed in he got over a grand off us for 2 nights. Aint no value in this dump

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank tommycanuhearme
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here this weekend for my hens party, beds are clean linen is clean you have to make your own bed the shower broke the overall place is very dirty I wiped the tiles in the bathroom that were supposed to be white and they were brown the doors don't lock properly and there were a group of men staying and they were kicking at people doors and walls shouting abuse, smoking in the corridor and throwing the butts on the carpet floor there was takeaway boxes and food all over the floors and landing and the was no porter or manager there after 2:00am we had to ring the police to come because we were fearing for our safety so to be honest I don't see how people can honestly come on here and say its clean and well run when the truth is its neither the rooms are shabby and in serious need of a good gutting and a new cleaner I don't know how the place passes the standard regulations for guest accomodation but this I will have to look into because from experience it breaches some if not all.

Room Tip: none of them
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2013

we stranded in Kilkenny a few weeks ago, Lunch there was really good. I'd say it's traditional regional style not haute cuisine, yummy! we planed to hitchhike to waterford. The owner was very helpful and made us a sign for hitchhiking. When we had to return at night because we failed he was very kind and gave us a 6bed dorm although we were only 3. Breakfast with a really good coffee(what an exception in ireland!)
I cant say anything negativ about this stay. we were welcomed with open arms and felt comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends