“Best view in Kilkenny!”

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I stayed in the Rivercourt Hotel on a short business trip to Kilkenny. The location is excellent, right in the city centre, just a short walk from everything. Rooms were spacious and clean, staff friendly and helpful. The best thing about the Rivercourt is of course the magnificent views of Kilkenny castle, I thoroughly enjoyed dining by the River Nore overlooking the castle and drinks in the evening. Fantastic scenery, setting, very relaxing break even though it was a business trip!

Room Tip: Get one facing the castle if you can!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear ClaDavis

Thank you for posting your very positive review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you had a very relaxing stay even thou it was on business. I am also pleased to read that you had the opportunity to experience our very well-known terrace area, which sits on the bank of the River Nore.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the River Court Hotel in the future.

E: gm@rivercourthotel.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,748)

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Had a lovely time enjoying the amazing scenery, food and drink in the Rivercourt Hotel. A young woman, Bernie was very helpful in so many ways. We were even told about exiting things to do in Kilkenny. My only critic about the hotel itself was the standard of music was very poor. With a space like that, there should be way more happening.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear John s

Thank you for posting your very positive review of your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I will certainly pass on your comments to Bernie who filled you in on all the sights to visit in Kilkenny. I take on board your comment in relation to the choice of music and will most definitely review this with the bar manager, music can create such a wonderful ambience and atmosphere and it is important that it is chosen carefully.

From all the team we hope that you and your family enjoyed your trip to Kilkenny and that you had a very safe trip back to Kilkenny.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the River Court Hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Went to the Rivercourt Hotel on a mini honeymoon for two nights. When we arrived there was no parking so we had to park in field at the back of the hotel, which we were charge €10 for. We checked in and went up to the room to find there was no soap in the bathroom, no bottled water & the safe didn't work. After 45 mins we finally got someone to fix the safe and went down to the bar where I was given my drink in a dirty glass (there was still someones lipstick on it) and my husbands pint glass was cracked. The overall cleanliness of the hotel was not up to scratch either. For the money we paid we would not return to the Rivercourt Hotel, however Kilkenny itself was brilliant.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ciara G

Dear Ciara G,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your visit to the River Court Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was very disappointed to read your comments and would be grateful if you could contact me here at the hotel directly or on email at GM@Rivercourthotel.com.

We aim to ensure that all guests have an enjoyable experience at the hotel and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations in this regard. As you can see from previous reviews this is certainly not the standard that one can expect from the River Court Hotel.

We always appreciate an opportunity to engage with our guests in a constructive manner and I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly so that we may learn more about your visit and use this feedback in a constructive way to improve for the future.

I look forward to hearing from you soon

Reviewed August 4, 2014

This was our first night in Ireland not in Dublin, we had a view of the Castle, we had drinks by the river and breakfast at the hotel - all of which we thoroughly enjoyed. It did get warm in the room (it was a warm evening), so keep the outside door propped against the stop!

Room Tip: Look at the castle!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark F

Dear Mark F

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that we were able to make your first night in Ireland so special . What a better start to a Holiday than sipping drinks on a warm summers evening with fantastic views of the very famous Kilkenny Castle.

I hope that you had time to explore all the sights of Kilkenny and that you enjoyed the remainder of your Holiday in Ireland.

From all the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to the River Court Hotel in the future and hope that you had a very safe trip home.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Excellent hotel in a brilliant location.Staff were very friendly.Rooms are very spacious with great views of Kilkenny Castle.Close to restaurants and bars.Will definitely stay again in this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear CClarkeWaterford,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us and for your very valued custom. I am delighted that you enjoyed your night away and the perfect location of the River Court Hotel.
From all the team , we look forward to welcoming you back to the River Court Hotel in the future and hope that you had a very safe trip home.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

This was one of our hotels on an 8-day trip to Ireland with eleven family members. The trip was marvelously arranged through Maloney and Kelly Travel. All of the accommodations were much more luxurious than we would usually choose, but given the group price each was a very worthwhile splurge. We travelled in a 12 person coach with our private driver and guide Donal Scannell (donal@chauffeuredtoursireland.com), who was a wonderful guide and a lovely and charming person. It was truly a trip of a lifetime.
The entry into the hotel "courtyard" is either through a small path along the river or a small gateway from the street. The courtyard has very limited parking, however, which means that our van and many other cars had to use the parking area at the rear of the building. The signage directing cars to the correct spots was poor and the ability to get in and out seemed to depend at least for departures, to spend on the availability of hotel staff to work the arms that block incoming and exiting traffic.
The entry into the lobby is warm and inviting and the staff were friendly and helpful. The renovated lobby and breakfast area is bright with lots of glass and there is pleasant outdoor seating for drinks, dinners or functions. Everything is well cared for.
The hotel has a potentially lovely location set on the river across from the castle and a lovely walking path. However, the decks on the side toward the river are tiny and we were specifically asked not to open the door to the deck because bugs would get in the room. This was actually a bit of a problem, since the temperatures were warm, the humidity high and there was no AC unit. We were able to open a small window about 30 degrees and then blow that cooler air into the room with a small, noisy fan. 3 out of 6 rooms from members in our party had no fan, and essentially all had "heat" issues especially if they were off the river since they then had no door and some were unable to open the smaller window. The decks were also a security issue since all the decks on the 1st floor, where we were staying, were linked and accessible to one another across an external deck surface. The room itself was pleasantly large, with one nondescript painting of flowers and 2 mirrors for wall decoration. The walls were clean and nicely painted in a light tan. There were 2 side tables on each side of the comfortable king bed with soft linens, a comforter and 4 large pillows. The WiFi was free but had no password, which I prefer for security reasons. In addition the WiFi signal was very weak and did not work at all in rooms from 111 to 117. It seemed to work better in the lobby if needed. The room lights were adequate but the lights on the side tables by the bed were very dim and suboptimal for reading. Clothing storage space was adequate in a low dresser with 2 drawers. There was also a good size wood armoire with wooden hangers. The bathroom was small with nice products, including shampoo, gel and lotion, but very limited vanity surface space for "ditty" bags and contents. There were large but not so soft towels but a good supply of all size towels including face cloths. There was a hair dryer available and also tissues. Our biggest problem, however, was the party noise until 3 AM from the pubs just across the river in the town. According to hotel staff and town people, the party crowd comes out here from Dublin to drink and carouse on a regular basis on most Friday nights and pretty much every Saturday night during reasonable weather. Having an AC unit and being able to close the window would have helped most of us get a little better sleep. Breakfast was in a pretty area with adequate cold and hot selections but not exceptional quality.
I would avoid this place in warm weather, and avoid any rooms facing toward the town or river on Friday and Saturday nights.

Room Tip: Stay away from the river side on Friday and Saturday nights and if the weather is at all warm, make...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Dave W43323,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us and for your very valued custom. I am delighted that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us in Kilkenny. Thank you for your comment as feedback from our guests weather positive or constructive is always welcome and helps myself and the team improve on what we do best. I will review the signage in our car parks. In relation to the A/C , we do have plans for a full refurbishment of all bedrooms and this will be considered along with the lighting.

As we are located in the heart of Kilkenny, we do on occasion experience some noise from the city centre, but with our planned refurbishments of the bedrooms this of course will be limited going forward. I am disappointed that you felt the quality of our breakfast could have been better, I will certainly ensure that this is monitored going forward.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the bar and terrace area, which can have a fantastic atmosphere when the weather is good. I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your family trip around Ireland .

Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

23 people came for a family celebration . When I had just taken a drink from my Pint a wasp flew in to my glass ,as we sat on the balcony outside the bar over looking the river. I went back into the bar man and told him what just happened while out on the hotel deck and asked for a replacement drink but to my surprise the staff member refused to replace the drink and told me I had to buy another. As we were a large group taking up 11 rooms and the rounds of drinks averaged €100+ I was amazed how this guy treated me. The cost of a drink to the hotel is around €2 . When I told the rest of the group what happened , we left after that drink and went to another bar for a drink. Very poor bar management causing the hotel lost revenue . Also the noise out side the hotel from around the area is terrible and keeps you awake at night. The charge of €5 for car parking is a bit of a rip off too . Won't be going back.

Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Conor K
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2014

Dear Conor K

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I was very disappointed to read of your experience in the main bar of the Hotel. We do aspire to achieve very high standards of service within the hotel through daily staff training and I am sorry that we have let down on this occasion.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly via email at DeclanMoriarty@Rivercourthotel.com so that I may learn more about your experience with us and take the appropriate corrective action in a constructive manner.

I hope to hear from you soon.