“Good, clean value”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed July 6, 2014

A very modern, clean hotel. It has all you would expect from a hotel. The staff were very helpful. Reasonable rate per room and close to taxi rank and just a 2 mins walk into city center. Enjoyed my short stay, would love to come back and explore some more of the city.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Dear Bbee C

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the River Court Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Kilkenny and found the River Court Hotel a very suitable base to do so. All of the team hope that you had a safe trip home and that on your next visit to Ireland that you return to Kilkenny.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Had a great stay with good hospitality! Breakfast outstanding. The location was fantastic where else can you wake up to seeing a Castle every morning. One for Dave thanks for the skull head I've just opened it!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank sharonsime

Dear sharonsime

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the River Court Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay from the wonderful view of the castle to Davids Skull head !. All of the team would like to thank you for your valued custom and hopefully we will all see you soon.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

I chose Kilkenny River Court Hotel because of trip advisor reviews so thought I'd add my own.
Good:
The location is spectacular. As you're eating breakfast, lunch or dinner you have an uninterrupted view of the castle. The hotel is within easy walking distance from everything in Kilkenny - generally. The staff were fantastic at resolving any problem I presented - my shower wasn't running hot and while I was out the maintanance staff fixed it. The "free" breakfast (that you pay for in your room cost I imagine) was very tasty - hot and cold food. The room was simple but nicely furnished. The car park is very convenient but hard to find unless you're looking for the tunnel to drive through before the bridge. Oh and I recommend having a massage!
Bad: No A/C so in summer the room was sweltering. Had to open the window (minor relief) and put up with workmen outside yelling and crashing things into a skip under my window. Shower and bath come as one. Not a favourite of mine. The dinner opinions at the bar (the cheaper option to the restaurant) were few and the food seemed to be preprepared so meat was tough, dry and the salads were not fresh. I'd recommend eating out.

All in all I was coming from a backpackers so it was a blessing to come here. I'd come back on location alone but wonder whether in summer you should find somewhere else with A/C.

Room Tip: I think it's somewhat unfair to blame the hotel for my lack of sleep. My room was on the first f...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear Katie E

Thank you for posting a review of your recent visit to Kilkenny and the River Court Hotel. I am delighted that the team were able to address any of the issues you encountered in a very efficient manner. I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotels perfect location.

I do apologise in relation to the noise issue, we have begun preparing for some refurbishment works throughout the hotel. These upgrades will include the grounds of the hotel, public areas and a full refurbishment of all bedrooms. We are reviewing the requirements for A/C in the bedrooms. Once again apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We are soon to launch our new bistro menu which will be served in the main bar and terrace, this will improve the choice and quality available to our guests.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I personally assure you that on your next visit to the River Court that you will see a vast improvement.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

We found this to be an average hotel in a great location. It's hard to beat being a tourist in a hotel in a quaint town in the shadow of a castle just across the river. Still, the fact was that the rooms are a tired and in a somewhat shabby condition. Ours had wallpaper peeling off and one light fixture was askew. Still the room was large and had two easy chairs which we really like. Very convenient to town and has a very nice patio overlooking the river and castle. Super breakfast buffet and a very helpful and friendly desk staff. Note the car park is exciting as the entrance is very tight and the spaces are too. There is ample extra parking in the rear though.

Room Tip: Our room faced the parking area and was a little noisy. Probably a room facing the castle would be q...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank buckeye-dude

Dear buckeye-dude,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent visit to Kilkenny and the River Court Hotel. I do apologise for the standard of accommodation, I am pleased to say that we are planning on a rolling out a large amount of refurbishment works in all areas of the Hotel. This will enhance the Hotel and will add greatly to the very positive aspects of the Hotel, such as the location, high quality of service.

I am delighted that you had the opportunity to experience our fabulous terrace which overlooks Kilkenny Castle and the river Nore, I am sure you enjoyed the view while sampling our well known Irish breakfast.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I personally assure you that on your next visit to the River Court your experience will be greatly improved by the refurbishment works that are due to begin over the coming months. Please do contact me directly when returning to Ireland again. From all the team at the Hotel we hope you enjoyed the remainder of your holiday and had a very safe trip home

Reviewed July 4, 2014

The view of the castle is amazing. But the rooms are old; bed is uncomfortable, there in no A/C (in case one travels during the summer). It is a cheap option, but one can do much better with an extra 30 euros.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Leonard A

Dear Leonard A

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the River Court Hotel. I am disappointed that although you enjoyed many aspects of your stay that you found the accommodation not to your liking. The Hotel is 15 years old and while built with some character, we are planning to start shortly a full refurbishment on all areas of the Hotel.

This I assure you will only enhance the guest experience. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday in Ireland and that when you return that you may afford me the opportunity to regain your faith in the Hotel and all that we do.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We spent a night here as a group. The person we dealt with to organize was brilliant so it made everything easier. Location wise it's great, so central to everything. If you're driving the entrance can be a bit tight to take, we asked directions and a very helpful local told us before turning left into the entrance to make sure we gave ourselves enough room. Although the entrance is easy to miss. Check-in was easy and friendly. The rooms were a good size and clean. The beds were comfy, one double bed the other a single.The toiletries were good and the shower was warm and strong with enough towels. One thing was after we both had showers the room got very warm as there didn't seem to be an extractor or a strong extractor so we opened the window, but as it was a warm evening some flies were getting in so we closed it again. We had dinner there which was very good. Breakfast was ok, a decent buffet. I'd be happy to stay there again and next time I would try the pool and the spa treatments as the prices for the special offers looked good. Just one thing, the lifts didn't 'bing' when they arrived down to ground floor so just in case you think they are taking a long time and they are already there.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear cjudge109

We really enjoyed looking after you all here in the Kilkenny River Court Hotel for your recent stay with us and sincere thanks for this lovely review.

I'm delighted to hear that you all enjoyed your dining experiences here in the hotel. Thank you for sharing your feedback on our bedrooms and our leisure club, we are delighted that you all enjoyed it.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming back to Kilkenny very soon

Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is quite a grand place opposite the Kilkenny castle. Excellent location with river (well not so much of a river) between itself and the castle.

Nice rooms, great front desk staff who got us nice sandwiches at xx am after we came back to roost when the pub opposite closed.

Had a restorative burger the next morning in hotel restaurant the following morning - great.

Was my 2nd visit to Kilkenny and the 1st overnight. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Find a room facing the river or the tennis court.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business