“Not Very Friendly Staff”

Kilkenny River Court Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Limerick
“Not Very Friendly Staff”
Reviewed August 28, 2008

My Husband and I stayed for a Sunday & Monday night Special rate deal.My first impression was that the picture in the website of the foyer looked much better than it does in real life.Our bedroom was very spacious, a bit shabby but is was clean & had a very comfortable bed.We were disappointed our room had no mini bar The breakfast is really good and the staff in the restaurant are very efficent. & friendly.We had an evening meal which was included in our package that was o.k but I though charging €10.00 extra if you ordered a steak was a bit steep.My one big fault of this hotel which would put me off staying again was the fact that the staff on reception were not very welcoming and did not seem very happy with their job.Also the bar staff were not very friendly and just seemed to be killing time( also I got adirty glass).At a 4 star hotel I expect a smile at least from the people working there, it put a real damper on out trip which is a shame as its a nice hotel in a great location.

• Liked — Lovely Breakfast & Dining Room
  • Disliked — Unfriendly Staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
dublin
Reviewed August 27, 2008

ok I was down for a quite stag weekend with mates. We stayed in the kilford before (OMG dont ask!) so this time we went for the river court. When I arrived the car park was full (because it is small) and I ended up squeezing the car upto a van which was gone in the morning but left a nice door dent on my small car!. The rivercourt is not too much dearer then the kilford but is much much better, however I find Kilkenny hotels expensive in general. When I got to the room on the first floor the wedding below was in full swing. For me this was fine since I expected a late one but if I was with my wife on a romantic break I wouldnt be too pleased. The room was small (could have been bigger for 4star) but sufficient and the bathroom was fine. I didnt have a meal in the hotel or use the pool etc so I guess I cant comment on all aspects. I did have breakfast and the room for this is really nice overlooking the castle and service was good. Also had pints in the bar during the day and sat outside along the river which I enjoyed, lovely setting. I thought paying 2 euro for car park exit was stupid and stupid charges annoy me and have a big influence over where I stay. However the sunday papers were free so that was good. I might give it another go in the winter when cheaper and stay with the wife here. Will review it again if I do.

• Liked — setting
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed August 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We arrived at six in the evening and were welcomed by a lovely member of staff called Lorraine at reception. I had called earlier in the day to ascertain that there was availability and had been quoted a price includung a charge for the five year old we were travelling with. The charge was waived when we booked in person. Hotel has been recently renovated iand in all the years we have been coming we have never seen standars slip.
The dining room is beautiful overlooking the river and onto the castle and the menu has fantastic variety and the food is very high quality.
Leisure centre is well maintained and has the smaller details such as changing room temperature and wet kit bags taken care of.
Will always return to this hotel.

• Liked — Beautiful location, friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Car parking can be a problem.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Kildare
Reviewed August 18, 2008

We wanted to stay at the River Court Hotel for one night recently, to have our first short break away since the birth of our 6 month old baby. On their website they stated that rooms were available but only for 2 or more nights. I decided to call the hotel and see if this was flexible and they accepted a booking for one night - Just goes to show that what you see on a website may be open to persuasion.
The hotel is situated in the heart of Kilkenny city beside the river and is a short stroll from many restaurants, pubs and Kilkenny Castle.
It's a pleasantly decorated and comfortable hotel with all the usual amenities incuding an indoor pool and spa treatment centre. We didn't use the leisure centre during our stay so I can't comment on the quality of that. The bar and restaurant are nicely designed and have an outdoor plaza overlooking the river and castle.
We didn't eat at the restaurant as their menu was limited and unimaginative for vegetarians with only one choice: tortellini. It's a constant gripe I have with lots of hotels. Why do they feel that one choice is enough for vegetarians? So dining there was outruled in favour of restaurants with a better variety of choices and probably a more lively atmosphere!
Our room was well appointed with a small balcony overlooking the river and castle. The room was a good size, clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. Facilities included plasma tv and broadband internet accessed via the tv. The bathroom was beginning to look a little worn and could do with a re-vamp but was clean and bright. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful.
We ordered room service for breakfast which arrived promptly and they took note of our request for vegetarian breakfast and accomodated us accordingly. There's an additional charge of €6 per person for room service which is a fairly standard charge in hotels around Ireland and the daily newspaper arrived with it. Overall we had a pleasant relaxing stay at this hotel. The price is a little above average at €260 per night for a double room with breakfast. I have stayed in fairly luxurious castle accomodation for the same price, but I would recommend it for it's good location and nice views and would be happy to stay there again.

• Liked — Great location and nice views from bedroom
  • Disliked — poor lunch and dinner menu choices for vegetarians
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed August 7, 2008

We stayed here over the August BH weekend. It has to be the best location in the city. If you're looking for a quiet peaceful weekend do not stay here, as you are right in the middle of town and it can get busy & noisy.
The setting of the hotel is great, with panoramic views of the castle and a lovely outdoor area where you can unwind with a nice cold beer and some fabulous views.
The bar & resturant are really nice and the rooms are well appointed and nicely decorated. If you wanna go somewhere really nice for food, try Zuni, the early bird menu is fantastic and great value. Cafe Sol was nice too. All in all - great hotel, with good facilities & top location. We brang our car and had to pay 2 euro when we left but didn't mind. We arrived @ 12.30pm on Sat aftn and got a space. It isn't a huge car park so if your bringing your car you may wanna get down a bit earlier than the 3pm stated check in time.

• Liked — Nice confortable accomadation in a great location
  • Disliked — rooms can be a bit noisy
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 6, 2008

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights on a B&B basis. The River Court Hotel is a large, centrally located hotel on the riverside facing the castle, with a wide range of facilities. Entrance/exit for cars is through a pair of small archways on the main street – it’s easy to miss them on arrival.

Our room was spacious, well furnished, comfortable and clean with a side view of the river and partial view of the castle. It didn’t have air conditioning or a mini-bar – neither of which I’d regard as necessary in Ireland, but a safe would have been useful.

Breakfast is self-service in the restaurant, with a good buffet of hot & cold options. We didn’t have an evening meal in the hotel. There’s a nice riverside terrace adjoining the bar.

Staff were pleasant and helpful.

The only major problem with this hotel is the parking situation. The car park is open to non-residents for a charge of €2. Given the very central location of the hotel, right in the heart of the town, parking is clearly good value and well used by non-residents. This results in a real problem for residents finding a parking space. Double –parking, blocking in other cars is very common. I watched one poor soul stuck for at least 2 hours in his car until finally the woman blocking him in came and mover her car.
This is a ridiculous situation which needs to be remedied by the hotel. Why not restrict parking to guests but charge a daily rate of, say, €10?

Eating Out:
Several good places to eat in Kilkenny and the hotel is ideally located as it’s an easy walk to most of them.
Café Sol, William St. Good food, some interesting variations, reasonable prices.
Chez Pierre, Parliament St. A small bistrot-type place, short menu, predominantly fish. Some very interesting twists by the talented Spanish chef.
Rinuccini, The Parade. Recommended in all the guides, we were somewhat disappointed. Service is very professional, but pasta dishes were dull and my starter of 3 small scallops on a bed of rocket for €14.50 seemed expensive.
From a previous visit to Kilkenny: Fleva, High St. Bright, attractive series of linked rooms (1st floor). Varied menu, good quality, buzzy atmosphere.

• Liked — Location & value for money
  • Disliked — The misuse of the car park.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Very convenient location downtown with secured parking and easy walk everywhere. We left our car and walked to all of the tourist sights as well as enjoying the music offerings at the local pubs. Our room was located on the backside of the hotel overlooking the river with a view of the Kilkenny Castle. The room was very quiet, clean, with a nice comfortable bed and offered all the travel needs. The Leisure facility was fine as well as the large swimming pool. The pleasant breakfast was served in their large, attractive restaurant. We enjoyed sitting outside on their patio next to the river and the view of the castle. We didn't eat dinner at the hotel restaurant, but rather went to Zuni for dinner which was excellent. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Location and outdoor seating area
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008