“Great location”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Illinois City, Illinois
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Kilkenny River Court is a nice hotel in a great location. It is on the river which makes for a great place to sit on the patio and have a cocktail. The location is directly across from the castle and right in the middle of town. You can walk almost everywhere from the hotel. The rooms are small but adequate and the staff very accommodating. The parking lot is small, but conveniently located just outside the front door. We had dinner in the Riverview bar and the food was excellent. We had a wonderful pork roast and an excellent Guinness stew. The service at dinner was extremely slow and it was not at all busy. Not a bad place to stay to explore the city.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marian518

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed here April 2013 with my mom and 3 children.
Hotel boasts fabulous location on the banks of the river with great views of Kilkenny castle. Close to all. Parking an extra cost which was a bit annoying. Also limited.
Hotel is a little dated but the staff make up for any misgivings. We selected this hotels because of location and hey have an indoor heated pool. Food good, their main dining room not very suitable for small children. However their family rooms are spacious and very comfortable. limited channels on tv. Could rentals develop library area off lobby into more child friendly area?? Books/ entertainment. DVD library / exchange. Games. What would it take to buy a few games like monopoly / draughts/ chess/ card games like UNO, even if you paid a deposit ?? It would make a world of difference I think??
Perhaps having family dinner sessions without the silver service and white table cloths between 530 -630 are something the food & bev manager might consider?? It's unfair to other diners and especially unfair to parents of Unwelcomed children to dine together.
Fortunately my kids are quite well behaved, but that's not always the case. Little for kids to do other than pool.ray for good weather to get out and about. Fab playground on grounds of castle.

Staff fab, especially guy running pool & sports area & pub bar tenders great too. Can't recall their names to tout them in person, but think management know who their shining stars are.
Front desk found me a charger ( free of charge) to use on my antique Nokia phone, as I'd forgot to pack mine and needed a phone when travelling with 3 small children. My cousin used the spa and had enjoyable experience. Over all a brilliant experience !

Room Tip: Family room spacious
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

The River Court is very modern (by comparison with other Irish hotels). Directly across the river from Kilkenny Castle, it could not be more convenient to the downtown area.

Our room was adequate and comfortable. There was plenty of hot water, and the bathroom offered limited 'lay down' space for dopp kits and toiletries. There was free WiFi that was available in the guest room.

Breakfast was offered with the room and was extensive. There was an elaborate cold buffet, a hot buffet, and a toast station. Breakfast service was elegant and more sophisticated than in any of the other hotels we stayed in on our trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Monophoto,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay at the River Court Hotel and for your five star rating. I am delighted that you enjoyed all that the Hotel has to offer, from its ideal location for visiting the many sights of Kilkenny to our extensive breakfast buffet. I am fortunate to have a team of staff who understand and provide a high level of customer service to all of our guests.

I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip around Ireland and all of the team look forward to welcoming you back to Kilkenny in the future.

Yours in Service ,

Kilkenny,
Ireland
gm@rivercourthotel.com
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Although this is a large Hotel, it is very central to the town centre, where you can go and find some music, food(Irish stew yummy) and a drink and not worry about driving. The breakfasts in the Hotel are nice and you can sit right by the river,weather permitting with a beautiful view of the Castle on the other side. There is plenty of Parking on site although it is chargable.We had a nice stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Suart-Harley

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay in Kilkenny and the River Court Hotel. We are delighted that you found the Hotel was in the perfect location for visiting Kilkenny. I am delighted that you had the opportunity to experience our alfresco dining for breakfast this summer, which was a great success due to the fantastic weather we had, where else could you have breakfast by a river with such a view.

I am also delighted that you enjoyed our extensive breakfast buffet, as the saying goes “breakfast is the most important meal of the day “ so it is important for us that all of our guests have the same experience that you had.

Once again thank you from all the team for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Kilkenny in the future

Kind Regards,

Kilkenny River Court Hotl
Fax: +353 (0)56 7723389

Web: www.rivercourthotel.com
Bracebridge, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed back at the end of April 2013 and you cannot beat the location or views from this hotel.

We did not stay in a Castle view/ river view room as we were on a tight budget.

Our room was clean and well-appointed with furniture; however, things were quite dated and needed to be replaced. For example, the ironing board was not properly attached in the cupboard any longer and the wicker on the outside of the armoire was tattered and had come loose. Very minor, but its in the details.

It was quiet and clean though, perfect for a good night's rest! The location is also central to all the sites in Kilkenny as well.

Breakfast was OK. It was not the best buffet though. The selection was good, but the ingredients seemed previously frozen or over-cooked (e.g. The black pudding was like a little hockey puck.)
We didn't speak up and are not too fussy so we enjoyed other things instead.

Overall, a good stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RC_Empire

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us and for your very constructive comments. In relation to the bedrooms we have a continuous preventive maintenance programme with-in the Hotel and I assure you all of the items you mentioned are being addressed.

In relation to breakfast, I am of course disappointed that you experienced a poor quality buffet selection and I apologise for this, however I am delighted to inform you that from May of this year we reviewed our breakfast buffet and offering, and as you can see from other reviews our breakfast offering is now of a very high standard.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. It is only by good customers like yourself informing us of such issues that we can hope to maintain and improve the high standards that the River Court Hotel is known for.

Kind Regards,

Declan

Fax: +353 (0)56 7723389

Wicklow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Staff friendly and helpful, bed comfortable in a clean well furnished room, breakfast good selection and quality,with a beautiful view of the Castle. Subsidised parking. The location was ideal, central. Didn't use the pool but had a good look around, very appealing. The Photos in the advertising are accurate We will be back as soon as an opportunity arises

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WicklowMatt,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for your five star rating of the River Court Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your 3 days in Kilkenny and that you experienced all that the Hotel and Kilkenny has to offer.

The Hotel as you stated is in an ideal location and within walking distance of all the attractions in Kilkenny City. I am pleased to read that you dined in our award winning restaurant which has the most fantastic view of Kilkenny Castle.

Warm regards

New Westminster, British Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

My trip to Kilkenny was my fifth time to be in the city of Kilkenny. I usually stayed with relatives but decided this time to stay at a hotel. The hotel was in a great location and looked very inviting. So I figured I would take a chance. The staff were very friendly and the room were always clean and ready. We had no problem with noise or parties.

Our breakfast was included the dining room was very elegant and well staffed. We had a great choice of food it was all very good. My only complaint is that coming from Canada I found it hard to get our regular cream for my coffee. Not a great problem I just started back to drinking tea which I use to do all the time.

If I do go back to Kilkenny I will certainly stay here.

Thanks you all.

Eleanor

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the canal and was very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Eleanor,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that on this visit to Kilkenny that you decided to stay with us at the Hotel and I am delighted that you have decided based on your experience to return on your next trip to Kilkenny.

As General Manager I am very fortunate to have a team of staff who are committed in providing a very professional but friendly level and style of care for all of our guests. I am pleased that you experienced our wonderful breakfast offering, but I do apologise that on the morning you dined that there was a shortage of cream for your coffee, I personally assure you that on your return that I will have cream so that you may enjoy your coffee while taking in the view of Kilkenny Castle from our restaurant.

Warm regards