“Absolutely wonderful.”

Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
“Absolutely wonderful.”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here on a quick stop through Kilkenny while in our honeymoon. Everyone was very accommodating and kind. Thee checked in late and they let us have the junior suite for the same price since it was our honeymoon. Their restaraunt/pub has THE BEST CHICKEN WINGS. We still rave about them and it's now become a joke for us. Whenever we eat chicken wings now we say " nothing's ether than the Hibernians chicken wings!"

Cant wait to come back.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for a weekend break from Dublin, and I have to say it suited my needs perfectly. It was slap bang in the middle of KK, so easy access to shops, restaurants etc. Girl on desk was friendly, and any of the staff we encountered in the dining room treated us warmly and efficiently.

Rooms had everything you need really, sure not five star but comfortable, well equipped, and provided for a good night's sleep. Didn't notice any noise from the nightclub but that could have been a factor of where we were, not sure.

All in all I can say if you want something that's central, comfortable and decent value you don't need to look any further really than the Hibernian.

• Stayed September 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend with a group of friends (couples) to celebrate a friend’s significant birthday (BIG 40!). Really had a fantastic weekend in Kilkenny, it is certainly a great city to socialise in. This hotel is in a perfect location right in the heart of the city, lots of great bars nearby and the hotel itself has its own late bar & disco. We had a meal included in our package in the hotel restaurant which was really excellent and not what you expect from a hotel restaurant. It’s more bistro style so not too formal and the staff were lovely.

I travel around Ireland quite a bit with work so regularly stay in hotels, so many of the newer hotels in Ireland while offering great facilities lack character. The Hibernian definitely has a personality & there is just a lovely atmosphere throughout the hotel and yes some things are old, for the example the TV’s but they do work. The shower in my room wasn’t the best but it did the job, I see these showers more & more in hotels now around the country, think the idea is that they are eco-friendly in that they conserve water.

Overall we all had a memorable weekend, Kilkenny is certainly party central at the weekend so if that’s what you are looking for then this hotel is the perfect base.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Right in the centre, which can be noisy but we found great. We were upgraded to a suite with a smile and a warning about noise on a Saturday night from the pub on the ground floor. It wasn't a problem. The windows are double glazed . Rooms and bathrooms excellent. Breakfast good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrisbaneFrannie
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Just home from my short break in Kilkenny. Booked this hotel because of location and wasn't disappointed. Friendly staff and good atmosphere. The breakfast was good but the juices could do with being chilled (I did come down at about 9.30 so they were probably out for a while). That is the only tiny criticism I could have. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed August 2012
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

In summary: I echo many other bad reviews - very very noisy, room too hot, no air conditioning, shower didn't work, no tea/coffee making facilities, no bottled water, ancient TV, old fashioned and faded rooms with chipped furniture, worn carpet on the stairs, our complaint to the hotel manager has not been followed up by the regional manager as promised. I will add - no full length mirror in the room, no hand towel rail in the bathroom, food overly complex and odd combination of flavours. Then, to add to the insults, we were charged for someone else's drinks bill. This is not a 4 star hotel and is barely a 2 star outfit.
We had booked to stay for the night before a wedding after flying in from UK. We were warned at reception that it would be 'a bit noisy' and asked did we mind? Bearing in mind that we a) had booked in advance b) had just driven from the airport for 2 hours in the pouring rain c) knew that all other local hotels were full - what choice did we have but to stay?
After going out into the pouring rain to get a cup of tea from a local cafe, I tried to have a shower to freshen up and discovered that the shower head was caked in lime-scale, so it didn't work. We also noted that the air-con didn't work and that there was no full-length mirror in the room. When we went down for dinner we pointed out to reception the problem with the shower and asked for it to be cleaned - however when we got back to the room nothing had been done. I asked where there was a full-length mirror and was told they don't have any - only to discover later on that there was one in the Ladies in the basement and one in the lift. We asked how to get the air-con to work and was told that the hotel doesn't have air-con.
I am not a fussy eater but I couldn't eat what I had ordered for dinner in the restaurant. The combination of ingredients and flavours was strange. My husband fared better but our joint experience of breakfast was not good - except !!! for a beautifully soft poached egg.
Our room was on the 3rd floor directly across from the multi-storey car park and right next to the side street. We had the windows closed because of the noise but the room was very hot without air-con. We tried to sleep but the noise of music and revelling got louder and louder until after midnight the mood changed and it sounded like a riot was breaking out, with aggressive shouting and screaming. When the noise outside stopped after 2 am, some of the revellers returned to hotel and made their way loudly back to their rooms along the corridor.
The following morning we both felt dreadful and couldn't wake up but we had to get ready and travel across country. When we checked out we were running late on our schedule. To add insult to injury we were overcharged and were then delayed 'discussing' the bill with the receptionist, until my husband insisted that the manager was called. My husband went off to get the car while I waited for the manager to arrive. Very briefly I outlined our issues but couldn't stay to go through detail as we were becoming more and more late. The manager confirmed my contact details and promised that the regional manager would ring me - but he/she has not.
Our stay at this hotel spoiled our celebrations at the wedding we attended - we were so tired that we had to creep off to bed when everyone else was just getting going. The next morning when we discussed our experience with some of our new Irish relatives, we discovered that Kilkenny is well known as a hen and stag venue. I have only once stayed at a worse hotel i.e. where I got an electric shock from a bedside-light - that hotel was in Turkey and had the advantage of being in a beautiful location.

Room Tip: Only stay at the weekend if you travel with ear-plugs and a portable air-con unit.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MRandMrsMG
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I was staying in the hibernian on a Saturday night for a hen party with a group. We had lunch in the hotel bar when we arrived which was quite nice. Followed by coctail making class in the Leftbank - part of a deal in the group booking with the hotel for the hen. Do not book this class.The guy making the cocktails looked bored throughout and barely went through the motions and the recipies were dire.

The room was on the first floor at the front of the hotel and we discovered the following as soon as we were in the room:

Old fashioned and a bit worn down, shower in bath rather than standalone shower and bath was tiny.
No safe
No tea coffee facilities.
No minibar or free bottled water.
Three windows would not open as all the catches were broken.
No air con at all in any rooms so it was sticky and warm.
The tv was a tiny old CRT.
The bathroom door did not lock.

Since it was hen and for one night we just got on with it and got ready to go out. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant (also part of the group booking deal). The food was fine but again the resteraunt like the rest of the hotel was way too warm. They seemed to be understaffed and we had been booked in at the same time as another hen party so there were long intervals between when the first and the last person in the group was served the courses and no coffees were offered at the end.

We headed out in the LeftBank followed by Morrisons - the nightclub that is below the hotel! I was not aware of it until we got there as I had not noticed in before. At about 2am I decided to head back to the room and get some sleep as it had been a long day. Sleep? I don't think so, if you happen to be placed on the first floor at the front move rooms immediately! - you could hear the music from the nightclub clearing along with people talking even with the one window that would open closed. I think it was 4am before there was any chance of sleep and even then with the window closed it was like a sauna.

The following morning I had a shower to wake up after four hours sleep and discovered what was the final straw in me ever staying or ever recommending this hotel. The shower was one of the worst I have ever experienced - it was like being in mild drizzle and I came out no cleaner than I went it. Also the bathroom mirror steamed up and written on it was "Thats how I roll" - which just highlighted that the mirror had not been cleaned since the last guests had been in the room.

As someone who is used to staying in four star hotels in Ireland, this is not in any way a four star hotel. I had previously stayed in the Pembroke hotel in Kilkenny which is a four star and I would say go there instead!

Room Tip: First floor at the front to be avoided at all costs as nightclub is extremely noisey downstairs.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends