“Not Great” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shillogher House

Shillogher House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilkenny
Shillogher House
Ranked #75 of 77 Kilkenny B&B and Inns
London
“Not Great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

We stayed in Kilkenny for two nights (my boyfriend and I).

The hosts were helpful and friendly and breakfast was LOVELY!

Unfortunately the room was cold, the bathroom had a lot of damp and the place needed a bit of TLC. (Sink was cracked in two places, cobwebs etc.)

On a plus the linen was clean.

I wouldn't recommend this place and I wouldn't stay again. If it was cheaper then I'd put up with the bad stuff but it was too expensive for what we got.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — It was cold and grotty
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
The Sunny South East
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2008

Myself and a group of girls had previously stayed here a couple of years ago and it was fine hence we went back again, the location is very handy for getting into town and easy to find travelling from the Dublin direction. But that's about it, we stayed in the shallets at the back of the house this time round and they were pure filth, one of the girls who was down first said the toliet bowl wasn't even clean,a towel was placed on the floor of the bathroom and when lifted up it was black. There were cobwebs everywhere and we counted 7 spiders in the room or bathroom. The room was small and was supposed to accomodate 5 adults, 2 doubles and a single, the double beds were smaller than the standard size!!! A 30 euro tin of Woodies or B&Q paint would not go astray. The beds were ok comfort wise but the sheets and duvets smelt musty, the carpers had stains on them and were covered with mats. How and ever we stayed the night and after breakfast I asked the host if I could have a quite word with her. I did not want to say anything if front of the other guests and make a scene. I voiced our disappointment with the standard of the room, she apologised and said that she would come out to the room and have a look. Well talk about a complete transformation of character, the way the host spoke to us in the room I have never been spkoen to like that before not even when you would have been scolded as a child. She proceeded to tell us that the dirt on the ground in the bathroom was the grout !!! HELLO, I think we know the difference between pure filthy dirty grime and tile grout. She then turned around and said that she would be happier if we left and didn't stay another night as we would have something else to complain about in the morning. In the same breath she said the customer is always right and please leave. This B&B has a bord Failte and an AA sign, there will be letters drafted and sent to these organisations informing them of the state of this B&B and recommending an inspection. I attached some photos, I hope they come out clear enough as these were taken on a camera phone as opposed to a digital camera. All anyone asks for is somewhere clean to stay the night. We were charged 45 euro per person for the room which is just scandless. STAY AWAY!!!

• Liked — Ehhhhh NOTHING !!!
  • Disliked — the filthy rooms, the host
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Kilkenny hotels

Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2007

From the outset, this was not a pleasant stay. Room was cold. I had to put towels on the window to stop the draught coming in. Toilet and shower were separate (not what I would call en-suite) and extremely small. Shower did not work properly and shower-door did not close. Items were still left in the room from a previous guest which begged the question whether the room had been cleaned at all before our arrival. Breakfast was not particularly nice. Our room looked out onto a dirty yard. When I lodged my dissatisfaction about the shower with the host he was non-responsive and his attitude was appalling. I am extremely dissatisfied with this B&B and I am sorry I wasted my money there. It is this type of B&B that gives others a bad reputation within Ireland. Lesson learned unfortunately.

• Liked — Accessibility
  • Disliked — Room (cold and uncomfortable) and price of accommodation. Completely overpriced.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2007

The house was very nice and easy to locate. It was within walking distance to the town. We stayed in May 2006 and it was our first stay in Ireland.
Breakfast was very well done and the house itself was very nice.

If there was one problem it would be the bed...it was very uncomfortable. They should invest in new mattresses.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — the mattress
  • Tips/Secrets — ask more questions
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2006

The house is nice, it's a newer house built to be a B&B. It's a quite large house, with the rooms feeling like bedrooms in an American house. It felt more like a small hotel than a B&B, that is, we were treated quite well, but not as personally as the smaller B&B's.
The location was a very short drive to Kilkenny city center, but not walkable. Kilkenny is a very cool place at night, so staying near the city center is desirable. Walking around Kilkenny is one of my favorite memories of Ireland.
Our room was clean and adequate, the owners were accommodating, and breakfast was good. If I had any complaint, it would be lack of character in a town that is so full of character.

• Liked — The house was well-built for its purpose
  • Disliked — Location - would have loved to be in the city centre
  • Stayed January 2003, traveled as a couple
Thank spoon.17
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2005

I must say we stayed in many hospitable, wonderful B&b's across Ireland all of them met or went above and beyond our expectations Shillogher House was not one of them. Not only was the house dirty and the breakfast terrible, I literally had to make our bed when I arrived as the sheets were not even tucked in and a ratty old bedspread was casually thrown on top. The ower was unhelpful and uninviting. When we arrived home from the pub there were several large trucks parked in the lot and about 6:00 am they all left. I couldn't wait to get out of this place. I am sure there has got to be a better place to stay in Kilkenny.

2 Thank youngertraveller
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2004

We stayed here in Nov. '03 for one night. The property itself was perhaps 1-2 miles from Kilkenny Castle and a short drive to downtown sites. It is off a main road and easy to find. There are 2 buildings; the main house and a 2nd building with motel-style rooms. 6 rooms are located outside with 3 entrances off the covered porch. Found this to be very convenient as we didn't have to worry about waking our hosts with a late night return. The room itself was not overly large but was clean and had a tv, phone, coffee maker, and a hair dryer. The bathroom was also not large but was also clean. Breakfast was nice in that there were several options off the menu besides the typical Irish breakfast.
A breakfast buffet was laid out and the host was exceptionally friendly and helpful. I have given this a higher rating not due to the room itself which I would rank as average but due to the convenient location, the rate offered which was a great value, and, to my mind, the convenience of the rooms. The host also factored into this rating and went above what other hosts had offered so far as immediate amenities and those requested. Very happy with our stay there and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2003