“Not great, to be honest”
Review of Club House Hotel

Club House Hotel
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed April 24, 2007

I stayed here on a stag weekend and, while the Club House Hotel was functionally fine, I can't say I'd recommend it for the money we paid. The place just feels a bit decrepit and jaded - I'd expect more the prices we were paying (Euros 70 per person sharing per night).

The late bar was fun and I enjoyed that.

I didn't eat the breakfast but some of the guys reported that it was "horrible", which didn't surprise me, given the vibe of the hotel. But that was the only real complaint as such. If the price were cheaper, the Club House would have been fine for a lads weekend away, as it's functional, reasonably clean and well located.

The staff were fairly impersonal, not rude but just not really interested. I suppose they must get a lot of stags staying there, but a bit more interest from hotel staff is always pleasant. In general, I get the impression that Kilkenny itself is fed up of stags and hens.

In summary, I can't say I'd recommend the Club House.

• Stayed: February 2007
    • Check in / front desk

Reviewed February 24, 2007

We stayed here in January 2007 for a long weekend away. We had heard so much about Kilkenny from friends and we had to experience it for our selves.

We discovered this small family run hotel by accident and it turned out to be the best accident we have ever had. It's location is second to none (close to the castle and the bus stops right outside).

Kilkenny has some great bars, but if there is a band playing at the hotel make sure to have a look (we ended up spending the night drinking buckets of Kilkenny beer!!- had a bit of a sore head the next day though).

We found the staff to be helpfull and they answered all of our many questions. It is a beautifull old hotel with some amazing features, especially the restaurant. This hotel really is a breath of fresh air, it is not trying to be something it is not, it is just a really nice family ran hotel for people who want to experience a true irish welcome.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank dermo76
Reviewed January 31, 2007

Myself, my husband & my mother all stayed at this hotel in August of 2005. After getting into our room, I realised that what I had seen on the website had been misleading. The photos showcased on the website made the hotel look lovely and warm, and while I thought the size of the room was good, it was shabby at best. I would not consider myself to be terribly fussy & I don't mind decor that is dated as long as the upkeep is evident. The entire look of the hotel was considerably nicer on the website than in person.
I could have dealt with that alone, but then I tried to have a shower on the first morning that we were there. It was ice cold, whereas the night before it had been scalding hot. My husband & I both had to use my mother's shower; thankfully her room was just next to ours.
I will say that the breakfasts were very nice, and also the location of the hotel was good for us. I did not find the front desk staff to be terribly friendly, however, just sort of indifferent.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It is seriously overpriced and not good value at all. Go to a B&B or spend the extra money & go to a nicer hotel. We were there for a wedding & the rest of my family members stayed between guesthouses, the Ormonde & the River Court Hotel. Not one of them had any complaints.

Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank MrsOdie
Reviewed December 31, 2006

Will never never never stay in this hotel again. Hotel room size poor,cleanliness poor,very noisy.Over priced,hotel picture on web misleading,phone was not working in hotel room,no remote control for t.v

Stayed: December 2006
3  Thank TipperaryTraveller
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 12, 2006

Did anybody ever see the movie 'The Shining'? Well theres no need to! Just come to the Clubhouse!!I expected to see the toddler on a tricycle in the hallway! The hotel was musty and old fashioned. I would seriously reccomend 'Pimp my hotel'!!! With no offence intended, I felt like I was at an old folks home.The room, however, was satisfactory, yet the 'double bed' requested appeared to be two single beds pushed together, and when we brought this to the attention of the manager, he was less than helpful. To sum up, I would not reccomend this hotel to anybody, and i strongly regard it as a waste of money.

• Stayed: March 2006
21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 1, 2005

We stayed here in August 2003 and it was an absolute nightmare. When we arrived into our room there was a stench of smoke. When we tried to have a shower - it didn't work and when we asked for it to be fixed, we were told - 'Could you not just have a bath'!!!!!!!!! We stayed in this room for the first night (no shower) and moved rooms the following morning to the tiniest room i have ever seen in my life (bare in mind I am only 5 feet tall). The bed was so springy it left us both with back aches for the week. The hotel is filthy dirty and ancient - so ancient that it was actually part of the City Bus Tour as the oldest hotel in Kilkenny. And yes - it was - and it hasn't been renovated in my opinion since the 18th century. It was just horrible.

22  Thank Diney77
A TripAdvisor Member
Athy, Co. Kildare
Reviewed September 15, 2004

Our experience at this early 18th Century Hotel was marvellous. This is a rare old building which has remained inhabited since the 1700s, and is decorated and furnished in lavish old style. What
a treat to be able to stay there, expecially in such a historic city as Kilkenny.

Unlike modern hotels,(ubiquitous, you could be in any city, they are all so similar),you know you are experiencing a part of Kilkenny's history and unique charm of the old world.

Wonderful food and entertainment, not to mention the kindness of the staff.
Evelyn McFadden