“Quirky! great location, great staff”
Review of Club House Hotel

Club House Hotel
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed at the Club House during the Savours of Kilkenny festival, the location of the hotel is very central and we could walk everywhere. The rooms are simply furnished but very clean and comfortable. The food is excellent and the breakfast is freshly cooked - delicious. The Staff are friendly and welcoming. We are coming back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tulipstoby

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here on a very busy weekend so the place was full but we were situated down the back of the facility and had a good nights sleep.
Accomodation was fairly basic but close to all town places of interest and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. They assisted me in sorting out some travelling issues and went out of their way to be accomodating.
It was quite hot when we stayed and a fan was provided to every room. If you are looking for a pub hotel experience then this is for you!

Room Tip: Rooms at rear of facility are away from street noise.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank john k
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Why this place was recommended by Rick Steves is a mystery to me. Horrible room. Plastic covers underneath sheets. Sticky bathroom floor. Heat didn't work. When we complained about the heat they put a space heater in our room while we were out to dinner. When we returned we found the door to our room had been left open. The place felt like a fifty year old howard johnson's hotel that had been abandoned. Don't be fooled by the website. The website does not reflect reality. Overpriced and the food was really bad.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank William E
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I enjoyed my stay in at the club house, some wonderful friendly staff , great meals and a clean bedroom.

Yes the shower was a challenge but once mastered it worked for me.

Would i stay again , of course i would.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Very enjoyable stay in a hotel in the centre of everything in Kilkenny. The history of the hunt meeting outfront for years and then retiring to the dining room made it special. Very friendly and helpful staff. Tasty,full breakfast. we would return

Room Tip: No pool or exercise centre but I had to put a rating for the review to be accepted.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Terrible room smelt like an ashtray the dirty carpets and curtains did not help. The shower did not work properly boiling water only pity they did not take advantage of this and give the taps and bath and floor a good scrub. The electrical sockets were positively dangerous. Totally unpleasant the only saving grace were the two friendly older waitresses and the breakfast. I could not recommend this hotel to anybody I was frankly surprised at how poor it was as I had noted the 'tired' comments from other reviewers the bedrooms were as I mentioned in the title in dire need of a refurbishment. It looks quite worn and traditional as you go into the hotel so I was hopeful for about 5 minutes and then once we saw our room my heart sank - tatty sticky carpets and peeling wall paper I could not leave fast enough. To top that our car was 'keyed' in the car park when we mentioned this to the receptionist we were met with total indifference.

Room Tip: Do not stay end of. I was going to take a photo of the dirt around the bath taps and then decided I...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Linda S
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My best friend and I stayed at this hotel and I must admit I was very surprised. We stayed the weekend of the Bruce Springsteen concert and due to I getting the very last room for the Sunday night I honestly thought we were going to get a room that wasn't going to be great...but how wrong I was. When we arrived after the concert and checked in the gentleman brought our bags to our room and told us that their was a BBQ down in the bar and to ensure we get something to eat. When I entered the room it was not what I expected. It was so clean and clearly the room had been updated as the carpet was like new and beds were extremely comfortable. Also I was surprised to see a flatscreen TV. I will admit the slide door for the bathroom does not fully close and should be fixed. Clearly the wallpaper is old but I liked this as it felt homely and didn't feel like another boring modern hotel. We got our breakfast brought up the next morning and it was brill. the toast was piping hot and the rashers were thick and not extremely stringy like in most hotels. The hotel has character and so does the staff. The staff are a credit to the hotel. They are so helpful and ensure that you are satisfied and enjoying your stay to the fullest. They really do ensure your stay is wonderful and are so helpful.
I never expected the hotel to be like this. I have stayed in many hotels due to concerts but this has most definitely been the best hotel I have stayed in.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends