“Kilkenny Hospitality”
Review of Club House Hotel

Club House Hotel
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed March 5, 2008

I arived in the Club House on a Sunday Night inquiring about a room. I was given a good room rate so I decided to stay. My room was nice and cosy. I then proceeded to the bar where i had a very enjoyable steak. The bar staff again were very friendly and made me feel very welcome. The hotel is familly owned and you are instantly made feel welcome when you arive. I really enjoyed my stay and would go back again. Ian behind the bar had a great sence of Humour!!

Stayed: February 2008
There are newer reviews for Club House Hotel

Reviewed February 15, 2008

Just back from a hen weekend and was very nervous about staying there after reading mostly negative reviews.have to say though for the location, price and what we were looking for - it was fine. the hotel itself is old and the decor quite dated but it wasn't dirty. my room had a double & single bed and was huge for two people. bathroom also quite large. other twin rooms were normal size.i didn't wake for breakfast the next morning but other girls on the hen did and said it was fine-there was a good choice and they didn't complain. all in all perfect for a hen for the amount of hours you spend there.everything in walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2007

Hi,

We've just returned from a Hen Weekend in Kilkenny. Sixteen of us booked into the Club House for two nights.
I must admit that we were very sceptical about the hotel having read some of the previous reviews. We also felt that the rate of €130 was very reasonable for this location, having priced a large number of other hotels in and around the city.

I think none of the group would have any problem recommending the Club House to anyone for a similar weekend.

The rooms varied in size with some just having two single beds to others which had two doubles and a couch. But all were clean and comfortable. The bathrooms were fine, there were one or two cigarette marks in my room but I felt that this was down to inconsiderate guests more so than bad hotel standards. The biggest draw back was that this is an old hotel with extra rooms built on over the years, leaving an awful maze to navigate trying to find your room. (Probably not suitable for older people as there is LOADS of stairs)
The bar downstairs was very convenient, not somewhere you would spend all night but was a great base and an excellent resident’s bar.

VERDICT:
The Club House is ideal once you are not looking for a luxury get away. It is clean and comfortable. Its location is ideal. Breakfast and Bar Food were more than adequate.
We would definitely visit this hotel again. Really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2007

I stayed in the Club House Hovel (spelt wrong by choice) for the August Bank Holiday Weekend with my husband. I booked it on the internet and whilst I was limited for choice - I opted for this overpriced hotel as opposed to a B&B as I wanted the luxury of a hotel: room service etc. for the record I would not eat in the bedroom - I have never seen such a dilapidated hole in my entire life. I can honestly say that I cried my eyes out when I seen the state of the bedroom - the decor was shabby and grubby - the bathroom was a joke - the sealant around the bath, tiles etc. was filthy and in need of replacement and the towels had seen better days. We found a wallet in the room which leads you to wonder about the housekeeping (if any) - for the record as the place was such a Mickey Mouse operation we brought the wallet back to Dublin and managed to get it to the owner ourselves.
The manager was berating some worker when we were checking in with not the nicest of language. The reception area looked like an archives basement - there was no order whatsoever. The breakfast whilst it smelt tasty I had my reservations as the staff where the most unfriendly and were clotty - one member used the same cloth to clean tables as to wipe sweat from her face - needless to say my brekkie lay uneaten. I wouldn't class my standards as very high but consider myself to have some nonetheless.
In a nutshell I wouldn't send my worst enemy there to stay - I think they have a neck to call the place a hotel - I have stayed in hostels with better standards.
Although they say that it is the longest standing Hotel in Kilkenny and a landmark or whatever I personally think Kilkenny was built around it - its there that long and would be surprised if it was refurbished EVER.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lilybear
Reviewed August 6, 2007

I went at the end of june for 4 nights, and the relation between price (65 euros per night) and the quality was good!
arriving to the room from the reception was a bit difficult but also funny.
breakfast was good. staf was quite friendly!
have a little problem with the bed that was wet when i arrive but everything was solved quickly.
views from the window were not fantastic(there was a wall in fron of the window) but i did not mind it.
perfect location, bus station just in the same street.
Photos have not much to be at least with the room i was in!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Littlespu
Reviewed July 13, 2007

I stayed at the Club House for a lenghty business trip.My job takes me literally all over the world so I get to see LOTS of hotels from a proffesional angle.Most I would say are good but never seem to get the personal touch over. Concrete shells with plastic interiors, staff doing their job ,not much else -sometimes not even looking at you! NOT so the Club House The friendly Irish isn't a cliche, from the owner- who always had time for a chat and to buy you a beer or that evenings meal! To the night porter nothing was too much trouble .The meals were first rate -proper cooked food and plenty of it .Not processed "ping " food from freezer to microwave but real like the rest of the hotel.
Conclusion best place Ive stopped in ten years around the world!

Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank MJHUk
Reviewed July 3, 2007

Having stayed in Kilkenny a few times it was the location that was the attraction of this hotel and it is well located. That is about it for the positives.

Having checked in after a group of Americans aged from 9-90, it was interesting to see them checking back out 10 minutes later. The hotel is a maze of stairs with little signage, the room smelled of paint and the bed had a paper sheet under the linen. Not sure if bed wetting is a problem in this hotel, the paint smell at least stopped us from finding out.

The residents bar is an advantage but not so much to warrant 150 per room per night. The breakfast was served in a pool of grease by staff that looked unhappy to be working here...

Stayed: July 2007