“Horrendous!”
Review of Newpark Hotel

Newpark Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed February 20, 2011

We had booked this hotel for a weekend away, as we hadn't been anywhere away together we were really really looking forward to it, especially the pool! We arrived at the reception and gave our names to check in and were quietly told to take a seat and we both knew immediately that there was some sort of issue. About 5 mins later we were approached by the hotel manager... again knew that this was going to be a problem. He basically told us that there was no available room for us (keeping in mind,on our way in the car to the hotel i got a call from the hotel to confirm our booking and i informed them we were on our way?! We had to travel about 2 hours) He quickly told us that the guest that was staying in our room for the last few days had fallen ill and needed to stay in the room according to the local doctor...hmmmm... To be honest we were both quite shocked that this was happening. I just got the impression that this was a total excuse and someone had made a major boo boo and double booked the room. Anyway he explained that he would call other hotels in the area to get us in for the 2 nights and would cover the extra costs if there was any. It took in total about half an hour to 45mins to sort out and we just left to go to our new hotel. In fairness he was very apologetic and tried his best to work it out for us, he took my details and said he was sending us on a voucher of some sort for the hotel. It added such extra stress onto our stay in Kilkenny, we actually didnt get to our hotel for another hour after we left the Newpark because we don't know Kilkenny at all and got lost several times. Would seriously consider asking the question... how on earth is this hotel a 4 star?!? Can nobody do their jobs correctly?!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank extremefoodie
There are newer reviews for Newpark Hotel

Reviewed February 13, 2011

Came to stay at the newpark inn and was pleased with my stay, the staff and service was great. I have another business trip to kilkenny next week and will be staying here again. Enjoyed the breakfast in the mornings.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 10, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Newpark hotel during the Christmas season in 2010. We choose the Newpark originally because of the price and location to the city and that's about all it had going for it. There was nothing bad about the hotel, but there wasn't anything that set it apart from the others. The Newpark is within walking distance to many great Kilkenny attractions, including Kilkenny castle, and has many restaurants and pubs close by as well. I would recommend the Newpark if you are just looking for a place to stay (as we were) but if you are looking for more than that with this hotel, than you may want to look elsewhere. Our stay in this hotel was simply, average.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank feenix902110
Reviewed February 10, 2011

The Newpark Hotel is a lovely comfortable hotel, surrounded by lovely views from the back of the hotel, but in a great spot for ease of access to Kilkenny city centre and all the surrounding villages. Lots to see and do in Kilkenny. The staff were friendly, courteous and mostly Irish which was a lovely change from some of the big hotel chains I've stayed at. They have great conference facilities as well as comfortable leisure facilities, so it has the best of both worlds. Their fitness centre & pool are a great asset but mostly I liked the comfortable family feel to the hotel, a home from home with 5 star service. I look forward to having time to try out the spa treatments on my next visit.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I was pleasantly suprised by the hotel as we got a very good deal on a 2 night stay. While the hotel is not of 4 star standard, it does not charge 4 star prices either.
We stayed in the classic room, which is the basic one. It was quite spacious with a double and single bed, table and 2 chairs, and was very comfortable.
The outdoor infinity pool was amazing to relax in, overlooking a large oak tree in the garden.
The check in staff were quite friendly, but we found the service in the dining room to be quite poor. I guess this was the only flaw in our stay and was a bit disappointing as we had made a decision to have dinner in the hotel on our second night instead of going in to town.
Overall though, we did enjoy our stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bannergirl
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Stayed here at the weekend with a large extended family group and was delighted with every aspect of the stay. We had a large family room in the new wing which were beautifully fitted out and very spacious, modern and clean. Lovely balcony overlooking the grounds and vitality pool.
The staff were at all times extremely attentive and helpful. Fast and easy check in, no room hassles, able to help with all our requests.
We ate in the bar one night and in the restaurant the second night. We had breakfast both mornings also and various snacks, coffees etc over the course of the weekend. Every meal was delicious and they also offer a decent kids menu, ideal for the younger members of our group.
The leisure facilities were spotless and beautifully finished. We all enjoyed the pool, on several occasions and the outdoor pool was gorgeous, just the right place to be on a cold winters day! I also had a treatment in the Aveda spa onsite, and was delighted with that.
We used the inhouse babysitter during our stay and that was most successful, she was lovely and the children settled well with her giving us a chance to relax downstairs.
The hotel is slightly out of the town but not much, we could have walked it if we had been so inclined!
I have stayed in other family hotels in Kilkenny and I must say this is the first one I would come back to if I were returning to the area. The general consensus amongst the group was that it was an ideal location for our weekend away and everyone was very pleased.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Stayed here after ringing lots of hotels making sure we got one where the pool was warm .. was told by reservations that the pool was fine & warm .. it was freezing no-one could use it, ruined my daughters stay I made sure she used the outdoor "jacuzzi" not pool as advertised .... & didnt care as she couldnt use indoor pool.
Could have gone to much better hotel if I had known they were lying.
Grounds ... where?? All I could see was an ugly carpark as for outdoor "POOL" get your advertising correct folks.
In the yr 2011 go back in time where the dinner menu consisted of a "Vegtable Stirfry" this was the norm in the 1990's which sums this hotel up perfectly.
That night in the bar whilst enjoying the band that were playing (highlight of stay) approached barman to order a cocktail Cosmo - to be told "We dont do cocktails" ... did you ever in your life..... he was the Manager by all accounts as the next barman I asked said he had to go check with **** .... so this just summed up this place perfectly.
Also on arrival asked for upgrade to superior room & this was given .. til I saw the room OMG I had to check if they had made a mistake so politely asked was this a superior ... good lord wud hate to see the standard... after this hotel made up for it by going to the westport plaza - this folks is a 4 * hotel not this place ... wud not go back if I was offered it free.
Sorry but I am honest & critical this is a plain town standard hotel ...that could be really improved upon with a bit of flair & imagination ... doesnt take too much to check out other hotel menus, cocktail menus & "superior rooms" now does it??

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family