“Average hotel standard 3* not as advertised grounds = carpark & outdoor pool = jacuzzi .. zzzzz”
Review of Newpark Hotel

Newpark Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Stayed here after ringing lots of hotels making sure we got one where the pool was warm .. was told by reservations that the pool was fine & warm .. it was freezing no-one could use it, ruined my daughters stay I made sure she used the outdoor "jacuzzi" not pool as advertised .... & didnt care as she couldnt use indoor pool.
Could have gone to much better hotel if I had known they were lying.
Grounds ... where?? All I could see was an ugly carpark as for outdoor "POOL" get your advertising correct folks.
In the yr 2011 go back in time where the dinner menu consisted of a "Vegtable Stirfry" this was the norm in the 1990's which sums this hotel up perfectly.
That night in the bar whilst enjoying the band that were playing (highlight of stay) approached barman to order a cocktail Cosmo - to be told "We dont do cocktails" ... did you ever in your life..... he was the Manager by all accounts as the next barman I asked said he had to go check with **** .... so this just summed up this place perfectly.
Also on arrival asked for upgrade to superior room & this was given .. til I saw the room OMG I had to check if they had made a mistake so politely asked was this a superior ... good lord wud hate to see the standard... after this hotel made up for it by going to the westport plaza - this folks is a 4 * hotel not this place ... wud not go back if I was offered it free.
Sorry but I am honest & critical this is a plain town standard hotel ...that could be really improved upon with a bit of flair & imagination ... doesnt take too much to check out other hotel menus, cocktail menus & "superior rooms" now does it??

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank charlieCo.Meath

Reviewed January 6, 2011

Stayed in this hotel in December, as part of their Christmas Party night. Have to say we had a brilliant time. We were greeted on arrival with a glass of mulled wine, the bar food was excellent also. We had our own table at the dinner that night and the service was second to none. It was one of the best Christmas nights we ever had. Also the rooms were spotless and decorated nicely. I would highly recommend this hotel for its customer service, food and location. We intend to make this our annual Christmas outing!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 14, 2010

We were swiftly checked in, to a lovely penthouse suite, a room with a balcony and great floor to ceiling windows, (with the 6 inches of snow outside we decided not to experience the balcony) the bathroom was amazing with a huge big shower, and separate bath tub, and under floor heating. Also this was the first hotel i've ever seen where you can control the volume of your TV set which is piped directly into your bathroom. We had a drink in the bar, which was nicely decorated, the hotel is either very new, or has just gone through a big refurbishment, as everywhere was decorated well,and all the fittings matched. Breakfast the next morning was average enough compared to other hotels, but we were served by truly one of the most friendliest members of staff i've come across in a long time, was brilliant to meet her, unfortunately i can not remember her name to mention.

In short, would definitely recommend, and wish our stay could have been for longer.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2010

I have just returned from a fabulous stay in the Newpark Hotel in Kilkenny. I can honestly say that I have nothing particularly negative to say about this hotel. I have posted quite a few reviews on Trip Advisor and this is without doubt the best!!

We arrived on Friday the 19th of November on a Supervalu break and were greeted by Alicia (who was extremely welcoming and professional). We were thrilled to find out that we had been upgraded to a superior room along with the other 2 couples who were travelling with us... no idea why but I'm not complaining. The superior room is great. I found the bed very comfortable and everything was very clean. The only complaint was that the room may have been too warm... not the usual complaint in November in Ireland. The wet room is great to look at but it does seem that the floor in the bathroom gets wet when it is used so that it can be a little slippy... maybe this was only in our room?
We had dinner in the restaurant on Friday and all 6 of us were very happy with both the food and the service. I had the Rack of Lamb and it was very good and I'm not usually the biggest fan of lamb. We moved to the residents bar after our meal and had a very pleasant evening complimented by the accordian playing of a party of guests attending a wedding in the hotel.
The breakfast is very good with plenty of choice and plenty of attentive staff. The hotel was very busy over the entire weekend and the staff coped admirably with the crowds.
The leisure centre is very clean and the Infinity Pool is amazing. The outdoor experience is well worthwhile and I highly recommend every guest to try it, you'll miss out on a unique experience if you don't.
The hotel is less than ten minutes walk from the McDonagh Junction shopping centre and the car/taxi journey is very short. We were out in Kilkenny on Sat night and the place was very busy... no sign of any economic crisis here!!!
Overall our group had a great stay in this hotel and we had no complaints. I have stayed in Lyrath and I would return to the Newpark in future ahead of the 5 star competition.
There is an older wing to the hotel and I would recommend paying extra for one of the newer rooms based on other reviews posted here.
Alicia checked us out again on Sunday and she is a very professional, courteous and efficient staff member.
This hotel is the best in Kilkenny based on a comparison to the others that I have stayed in over the past ten years. It is great to see a hotel that cares about its guests to the extent that the Newpark does, every staff member went out of their way to make our weekend very enjoyable... thanks to all from a very satisfied customer... we'll be seeing you again soon.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We were in Kilkenny over the July holiday and really enjoyed our stay at the NewPark,

The reception area was stylish and smart, the ladies in reception were courteous and helpful. On the other side of reception there was the bar and service was good and the pints were tasty! All of the public areas were warm and welcoming and I felt very much at home, the atmosphere was relaxed and friendly.

Our room was great, spacious and nicely decorated and furnished, the bed was huge and very comfortable. We had a great view over the grounds and spa centre. I thought the bathroom was class.

The leisure facilities were terrific. I loved the sauna and steam room and the pool was a good length, jacuzzi not really my thing but was good. We didn't use the rest of the fitness suite but it looked well provisioned.

Breakfast and bar food were both top notch, simple things done well.

In relation to the city centre it's a little bit out but that's what taxis are for and if you felt like stretching your legs it would be a good walk.

Great spot.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Stay was only on night but with jet lag our group found it very welcoming. The beds were wonderful, pool and spa relaxing. Not much around this hotel but there is a nice little pub just down the street.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Girls Allowed! on tour. We got great food, pool and spa facalities were very clean. Joan gave me a great facial. The best. Room clean and fresh. Staff friendly and helpful. Dinner was beautiful. Breakfast great choice.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends