Newpark Hotel
Pembroke Kilkenny(Kilkenny)
$215
Kilkenny Inn Hotel(Kilkenny)(Great Value!)
$181
Hotel Kilkenny(Kilkenny)
$183
$171
$210
  • Breakfast included
Kilford Arms Hotel(Kilkenny)(Great Value!)
$153
$135
Hotels.com
$183
$295
$202
$247
  • Restaurant
Aspect Hotel Kilkenny(Kilkenny)(Great Value!)
$141
$136
Travelocity
Lyrath Estate(Kilkenny)
$259
$236
Orbitz.com
2,130 results
All reviewspet farmkids cluboutdoor infinity poolpetting zoofamily hotelleisure centreunderfloor heatinglovely hotelgo kartsfamily breaksuperior roomsteam roomgames roomtop classwalk in showereaster breakboth nights
Reviewed October 29, 2010

stayed for few days in this fine hotel......all cosy and warm and clean....food excellent, bar service delievered with a smile......bed room was grand as it should be....and not too many moans for once......well done to all staff and management on a wonderful hotel...

any changes i would like....one or two ....only minor....an extra lift would be nice, better lighting around lift area important.....breakfast zone very busy,could i suggest separate area for those in suites or excutive rooms....and or separate area for those with children may work well.....it was mid term and it was great to see large numbers of families but its just my suggestion.......thank you

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2010

When we arrived we were very impressed with the reception area and general appearance of the hotel. Unfortunately the room did not live up to this, with its tiny bathroom and broken shower along with dirty windows and resident spiders complete with webs. We were heading out for the night and asked for the problems to be forced. When we arrived back nothing had been done. I returned to reception and met the night porter who immediately moved us to another room and apologised profusely. The new room was brilliant, very comfortable and well appointed. This room was in the newer part of the hotel rather than the original room which appeared to be a renovated storage room! Taxi into the town centre of Kilkenny was about €8. After having swapped rooms the rest of our stay was flawless.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed October 24, 2010

called in for lunch and agree with other comments, not realizing it was carvery i went to bar where the middle aged bar man ignored me for ten minutes when he came he was so ignorant, food was only fair but no flair,but the hotel is now a little grubby with no real charm or style, windows were filthy,

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Seabirdfly
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I expected this hotel to be good -- and I wasn't disappointed. We booked a family offer last August through the irelandsbesthotels.net website and got a great deal on accommodation and meals (including spa vouchers, which we didn't use). Our stay was both enjoyable and relaxing, equally for the kids and ourselves.

A feature was the natural friendliness of the staff and their eagerness to help with information or sort out any problems. The other principal point to note is this hotel's popularity -- the Newpark is a busy hotel. Really busy! On several of the nights during our stay, guests numbered 300 plus. Many of these were families like ourselves and wedding parties. Not everybody might like this, but I thought it added to the atmosphere, and it was testament to the fact that the Newpark is doing something right.

The hotel staff seemed to be well used to dealing with these numbers, and you have the feeling that they are fully in control and that everything is well-organised and well-managed. Aside from this, the foyer and public spaces are large, so it never feels oppressive.

Breakfast is absolutely brilliant with a large choice between healthy options and the traditional fry. It is buffet style with an impressive spread and something for every palate. It has to be said that because of the large number of guests, you may find yourself queuing if you come down 'late' -- by that I mean about 9.15 am. This was not a problem for us because with almost military-like organisation we were all in place at 8.00 am every morning and virtually had the place to ourselves. And so I would thoroughly recommended that everybody else continues to arrive in a casual, tardy fashion where you can then queue and wait, and see people like me pass and give you a satisfied nod on our way out from breakfast while you are still waiting for yours.

But seriously, it is not a big deal. They dining room itself is small, but they have extra space which they utilise according as the guests arrive in numbers. Everybody gets fed, and on time.

My wife and I had evening dinner on two nights during our stay. Evening meals are in the same dining room as for breakfast, but at night it takes on a different atmosphere which is at the same time pleasant and relaxed. The food is very good without being great. Just missing that certain touch. But that said, we got desserts on one evening which were absolutely exquisite and that came close to a culinary orgasm. Be careful in public.

On our second night arriving for evening dinner a minor incident occurred which illustrates one small cause for criticism that relates to standards in all public areas of the hotel. The Maitre d' was kindly showing us to our table with the usual gesturing and small talk, and as he did I placed my hand on the back of the dining room chair, slowly pulling it from the table so as to seat myself. To my amusement, I suddenly found that the chair hadn't moved an inch, and that instead I was left holding a detached piece of wood from the now fractured dining room chair. We all looked oddly at each other for a moment, and then with a deft skill that would do a carpenter proud, I expertly replaced the chair top to give it once again the false appearance of a decent piece of restaurant furniture. It would have fooled anyone.

The Maitre d' was fulsome with his apologies, and I said, not to worry. In truth, I wasn't that concerned. He could have put me sitting on a beer barrel and I wouldn't have minded. But it does reflect what you can't fail to notice in the Newpark, and that is that the furniture, fabrics, flooring and decor look tired and drab -- which in turn creates a general atmosphere of dull and ageing neglect. The hotel is clearly in need of the services of many large industrial skips and a thorough freshen-up and make-over. Why they haven't done it to date has more, I suspect, to do with how busy they are rather than any shortage of funds.

As regards the guest rooms, accommodation was spacious and well serviced with all the usual facilities. Housekeeping staff keep everything in good order and are friendly and helpful if you need something special.

The fitness centre is excellent with the full range of gym equipment, with most appliances affixed with a TV screen. The swimming pool facilities are also first class, possessing a full range of thermal suites. Families and kids seemed to derive great fun here and the facilities were never too crowded. Again, the negative point was the outdated pool furniture which were patiently awaiting the arrival of that skip.

Although our kids were beyond the age, some families with younger children raved about the Newparks kids club. All said that their kids loved it so much, they were anxious to see less of their parents and more of the club and its organisers.

Although we had vouchers, we never got time to experience the hotel's Escape Spa. The feedback was that it was very good; the genuine deal with a complete range of Aveda treatments. During our visit, discount offers were available, so it was a pity to miss it. Maybe next time.

So overall, this is a very good hotel --- organised, professional, efficient and with a human touch that connects with you the guest in a personal way through its friendly staff. They need the decorators in, and they need to keep a cautious eye on general standards. But that said, this is a hotel that knows its business, has obviously skilled management and works hard to provide customer satisfaction. For the guest, that translates to an enjoyable stay -- and that's what counts.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2010

We found the hotel spotlessly clean a must for us.The staff are friendly and pleasant, seem to be mostly locals. Great food and great facilities. Bar food excellant. Free WiFi in reception area. Really nice ice cream one day from ice cream machine in reception for a Wedding.
Looking forward to staying again. Great value for short. break

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple