“St Patricks Weekend Stay”
Review of Newpark Hotel

Newpark Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Having read the reviews, I decided to stay for the weekend 3 nights with 1 evening meal, with my family. Highs - lovely room, couldn't fault it, very quiet at night and extremely comfortable bed with an extra padded layer ontop of the mattress which makes for extra comfort. Lows - I don't consider this a 4* for quality food. The breakfast, whilst, a good variety, the bowl of fruit available was tasteless. The sausages were of very poor quality (not the only guest to think so, on that morning!) and rashers were extremely salty, also, only scrambled eggs available, unless requested which seemed to take until the rest of your breakfast was finished. Table beside me requested boiled eggs - but they were unedible, were not cooked at all) . I am not a moany traveller I will give credit where credit is due, but have to say I do feel the food is not up to 4* standard. The kids menu is poor with no healthy options available, the fish fingers were not cooked through on 1 occasion. My husbands meal in the bar which was - minute steak very over cooked and was like leather at a pricey €13.95 which in my opinion was definitely not worth it. Bar menu - hotel prices - very over priced for what you got. I will say the seafood chowder is absolutely beautiful - definitely recommended. We asked for our table to be cleared in the bar about 3 times,, as we had people waiting to join us after the food and we ended up doing it outselves after an hour and a half! The pool area was very clean and the infinity pool was lovely. All in all, a pleasant enough stay, would stay again, but definitely with lower expectations!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Mark D, General Manager at Newpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Dear Rebsam24,

I would like to thank you for having taken the time to review your recent visit with us here at The Newpark and for choosing to stay with us. I most certainly appreciate all feedback, both positive and negative, which affords me the opportunity of reviewing and improving the hotel.

Im delighted that overall you had a pleasant stay here with us, however I would like to apologise for the errors you and your family experienced during your stay with us and I can assure this in no way indicative of our usual high level of service delivered here at The Newpark.

The hotel puts great emphasis into improving both our facilities and service to guests on a daily basis. Based on for your feedback our Food & Beverage team have reviewed all areas highlighted within your feedback and implemented the appropriate plans to ensure your comments and the issues you experienced are resolved.

It is my goal to retain you, and your family as satisfied customers and I will hope to serve you again in the future. Please kindly contact me personally before your next visit to the Newpark Hotel as I would be delighted to personally extend some of the Newpark's renowned hospitality. If there is anything else I can be assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me on 056 7760500 or email mark.dunne@newparkhotel.com.

Kind regards,

Mark Dunne

Write a ReviewReviews (2,032)

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Just back from a weekend away in this Hotel .I have previously posted a review for this hotel and enjoyed my stay then .This time I was very disappointed with our stay .
We were given a room on the first floor and the noise of residents going to there rooms very late at night was dreadful ... There was a wedding going on in the hotel on St Patrick night and the guest of the wedding contined singing and roaring way into the early hours of the morning with no consideration for other guests trying to sleep.
The breakfast in the morning was very sparse it certainly was not a full Irish breakfast ,no white pudding ,no beans, no fried eggs unless you ask for them only scrambled eggs .
We had a meal included in the price of our stay and to be honest it was not very good the set menu was very limited ,not very tasty and was only carvery standard my advise don't include a meal with your stay as the restaurant is not very nice the decor is dated ,it also doubles up as the breakfast room in the mornings
The bar could also do with a revamp as could the bedrooms to freshen them up
The beds are not very comfortable and even had a duvet underneath the sheets to make then more comfortable have never seen that before and would prefer not to see again.
The spa area and pool is great and we loved the outdoor tranquility pool .
This hotel has very friendly staff willing to help at anytime but the hotel need to pull it socks up and improve the food and have a more strict policy around rowd guest disturbing the peace of others .
We ate on the second night in a lovely Italian restaurant called The Palmyra about a ten minute walk from the hotel towards the town a straight walk down ,lovely friendly helpful staff and fabulous food and very reasonable prices would highly recommend and will go back there again ,but will stay in a different hotel

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room away from the lifts and not on the first floor

Dear Tsam,

Thank you for having taken the time to write and review your recent visit to The Newpark Hotel. I most certainly appreciate all feedback, both positive and negative, which affords me the opportunity of reviewing and improving the hotel.

I would like to extend my personal and unreserved apologies for the errors, which marred you, and your partners recent stay with us here at The Newpark. Based on for your feedback we are currently reviewing our breakfast offering to ensure it is maintained at the high standard you have come to expect at The Newpark. I would also like to assure you that we are reviewing the guestroom alloacted to you as part of our on going commitment to ensuring a quality nights sleep here at The Newpark hotel for all of our guests.

It is my goal to retain you, and your partner as satisfied customers and I will hope to serve you again in the future. Please kindly contact me personally before your next visit to the Newpark Hotel as I would be delighted to personally extend some of the Newpark's renowned hospitality. If there is anything else I can be assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me on 0567760500 or email mark.dunne@newparkhotel.com.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 17, 2012

Stayed for 1 night on the 13 th march.room with breakfast for 2 was 89 which was great value.the room was spacious and clean.after a day out watching the racing at cheltenham I ordered a chicken salad sandwich and coffee which arrived within minutes and was delicious and at 7 euro was great value.breakfast was a buffet and again the quality and choice was excellent.the breakfast room could do with some music as it felt like a bit like a library.would definately come back
Well done

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Carniva
Mark D, General Manager at Newpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2012

Dear Carniva,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Newpark Hotel I am delighted to read that you enjoyed The Newpark experience.

I have passed on your kind words to the entire team here at The Newpark Hotel and I can assure you our Executive Chef Paul Murphy and his team are especially proud to read your excellent comments in relation to your dinings experiences here at The Newpark.

Again, my sincere thanks for taking the time in writing and we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Newpark Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 16, 2012

My wife and I recently spent a wonderful weekend at the Newpark Hotel. The staff were absolutely fanstastic as were the hotels facilities. We enjoyed everything that the hotel had to offer and we were delighted with our decision to stay there. We will, without hesitation recommend the Newpark Hotel to our friends.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at Newpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2012

Dear Laurence T,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Newpark Hotel and for your warm praise of our valued staff members. I am also delighted to read that you enjoyed The Newpark experience.

I have passed on your kind words to the entire team here at The Newpark Hotel.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 14, 2012

This was our first stop for the night after arriving in Ireland on an independent driving tour through Sceptre Tours. I wondered about the accommodations on the tour because the tour seemed to be so inexpensive, but all of the hotels (Newpark in Kilkenny, International in Killarney, Clayton in Galway and Ashling in Dublin) were very nice—not all luxury, but more than adequate.

Our room at Newpark was roomy for 3 adults. The beds were very comfortable, and the staff was quite helpful. This included making recommendations for places to eat and drink and getting a cab. The accommodations included a breakfast buffet, which had the option of a full Irish breakfast, but also plenty of other options for those who might not like black pudding.

I am surprised by the recent review by buglamour, especially given the other good reviews of the hotel. However, I take it with a grain of salt, since (s)he says he is a hotelier and says he's from Kilkenny. Why would a hotelier from Kilkenny be staying in another hotel in Kilkenny? Hmmm.

Room Tip: Not so much to choose a good room, and not the hotel's fault, but our Garmin GPS had the wrong l...

Dear Yabiman,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Newaprk Hotel and for your kind praise of our valued staff members. I was delighted to read that your stay was a pleasant and memorable one.

I have passed on your kind words to all of the Newpark team. It means a lot to all concerned to know that their professionalism does not go unnoticed.

Again, my sincere thanks for taking the time in writing, and we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 13, 2012

I have just spent a wonderful weekend in the Newpark Hotel in Kilkenny.
It was a beautiful hotel, the rooms were large and decor throughout the hotel was lovely.
The staff were all extremely welcoming and couldn't do enough for us.
As we were part of a conference, we had all our meals at the hotel and the food was delicious.
All in all, I would most definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Mark D, General Manager at Newpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Dear irish_coleenDonegal,

I would sincerely like to thank you for having taken the time to complete your review regarding your recent visit to The Newpark Hotel. Im delighted that your experience with us here at the hotel was such a positive one.

I have passed on your kind words to the entire team here at The Newpark Hotel. It means a lot to them to know that their professionalism does not go unnoticed.

Again, my sincere thanks for taking the time in write your review and we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Newpark Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 12, 2012

I had the most enjoyable experience with the Kilkenny Newpark Hotel! Myself, and 8 others booked in for a celebration and we were slightly demanding in that we had vegetarians, mum and baby and so on - we could not have been better looked after regardless of these!
The reception staff were very helpful, Joe at the bar was very accomodating with our drink orders and our waitress in the restaurant couldn't have been any better, she was fabulous.
And lastly, we were greatly impressed with the food and the rooms - and of course the impressive outdoor jacuzzi. Basically, where do I rebook?!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lavitabella6

Dear Lavitabella6,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Newpark Hotel and for your warm praise of our valued staff members. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your weekend stay with us.

I have passed on your kind words to the entire team here at The Newparky Hotel. It means a lot to them to know that their professionalism does not go unnoticed.

Again, my sincere thanks for taking the time in writing your review and we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Newpark Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards