We stayed for a 3 night break and while we found the hotel to be ok, we certainly would not recommend it to friends as a 4 star hotel for the following reasons
- we paid extra for a superior room and while it was fine, it was what we would expect a basic room in a 4 star hotel to be so I'm glad we didn't go for a 'classic' room god only knows what we would've gotten.
- when checking in another couple were checking in ahead of us so the receptionist tried to call someone out of the back room to check us in, they refused to come out and we heard them say "let them wait" CHARMING!!
- they insist on swiping for the full amount of your stay on check-in and told us that the first card didn't go through so we gave them another one which resulted in us being charged on 2 different cards even though the money is not taken it is merely held we were told it could take TEN DAYS for the money for the money to be released.
- Dinner was included in our package but we had to eat it in the bar which was quite frankly ridiculous, If a 4 course dinner is included, it should be served in a dining room NOT a bar with Sky Sports on in the background.
- the infinity pool was brilliant and really relaxing but the main pool was freezing and unpleasant to swim in. It was also getting quite shabby with cracks in the doors and the buttons on the infinity pool not working at times
- on our first night it was raining and the noise from the steel guttering was really loud and it woke us up a few times, thankfully it didn't rain anymore.
- Staff on reception were generally abrupt and rude except for the girl who checked us in (Mieke was her name I think), the girl who checked us out was extremely surly, she asked us if we enjoyed our stay and when we said it was just ok, she ignored us until we were checked out. On the other hand though the breakfast staff were lovely.
- the grounds were lovely generally but all we could see when we looked out our window was rubbish and bits of wood up against the wall
A lot of improvements need to be made to turn this hotel into a 4 star
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located only a short stroll from the historic city of Kilkenny with its rambling streets and beautiful castle. Our hotel boasts 129 luxuriously appointed guestrooms and suites, many rooms offer views over the luscious green gardens which extend onto the urban Fen walk, Newpark adventure trail, and wildlife farm all positioned within our 40 acres of peaceful parkland. Within each room category guests are provided with a multi-channel flat screen V, tea/coffee making facilities, bottled water and complimentary WI-FI access. Scrumptious dining facilities await you in our fine dining Gulliver’s restaurant or choose from our casual dining options in the popular Scott’s Bar & Brasserie or our newly opened Terrace bar & outdoor restaurant. Step inside our Escape Health club and Aveda spa to unwind, take time out in the hands of our therapists or recharge your batteries in our 17m swimming pool, outdoor infinity pool or our relaxation and thermal suites. A warm welcome awaits you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Newpark Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Newpark Hotel Kilkenny