“Not as good as I thought it would be”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Kilkenny

Hotel Kilkenny
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Dungloe, Donegal, Ireland
“Not as good as I thought it would be”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Had an overnight stay at the Hotel Kilkenny as I was attending a function in the hotel. The room was okay but not great. Parts of the hotel are very poorly lit you could hardly see where you were going. Bed was comfy and breakfast in the morning was good though the service was very chaotic. would I stay here again? Only if there were no other hotels available!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hotekilkenny, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,
Firstly I would like to thank you for passing on your comments, we appreciate all feedback, I will today personally ensure that if there is anywhere within the hotel that is not 100% up to the standards we expect I will ensure it is rectified straight away.
I do hope in the future you return to us and see first hand that your past experience is not the "norm" and maybe just a once off.
_________________________________________________________________________
We employ a team of 150 dedicated people who are focused on delivering great customer service. We actively seek and welcome genuine, constructive feedback as this is what we use to ensure our service and standards constantly improve through our customer care and service review programs. Each member of our Team is aware off all genuine posts on TripAdvisor and we are proud to say that we do not in any way advocate or engage in posting fake reviews

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Kilkenny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We availed of the early checkin very speedy ,deluxe room really nice had all the extras,swimming pool excellent .Staff in the hotel and spa really helpful and friendly .We had room service for breakfast it arrived on time everything was piping hot ! Very pleased .We had a great weekend in kilkenny as usual.Will return again?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coupleskilkenny
Dear Guest,
Everyone is delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. Indeed our Deluxe Rooms are very comfortable and people seem to enjoy the little extras ! Hopefully we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us again in the very near future.
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have booked the rooms for the mothers day and intl womens day plus my sister-in-law's birthday. So you can expect that hotels are going to take advantage as we paid €270 for 2 nights standard room. These was a gift from my partner since we only delivered our daughter 6 weeks ago and his sister wants to celebrate it in kilkenny. Hotels location is 8-10mins away from town which is good.
When we booked, we requested if we can get a king bed because of the baby, they gave us a double bed and a single bed instead(that was so nice of them). So when we got there our room is near the reception which is good but we were told its a disabled/handicapped room coz they havent got any room left. We accepted it anyway coz its handy being near reception if we need the baby bottles sterilized.
The room is ok but we find the door very narrow as her pram just fits the door. Imagine if its the wheelchair. Then in the toilet there is nothing toput our stuff. Sink is like the one you see in public toilet. Yes they maybe following standard for having a disabled toilet but they could do better. There is No tissue holder, you have to hold the industrial huge rolled tissue like the one in public toilet too. Tissue is thin and hard. The table for where the tea is too high abd the room is next to toilet so you can hear people talking and the turning on and off of the hand drier.
When we got there its around 8pm so we called room service and there is no one answering the fone. We have to ring reception and give them our orders. The food arrived after 15-20mins which is great. Then the following night we rang again and there is no answer so we went out at the reception to find out and the receptionist took our order again.
I decided to swim but I havent got a hat so I ended up using the sauna which is good but the steam room is I think filthy. It needs to be cleaned and the metal bit that the steam is coming out from is rusty. The jacuzzi is ok. Pool is huge, and the gym and changing room is big too.
I look forward for the breakfast, nice big irish breakfast but they havent got enough tables and chairs to accommodate so people have to wait to be seated.

Overall we had a good weekend, facility is a bit old but they should improve continuously if they ask for a high price or they could have at least gave us a bigger room and not a disabled room as a complimentary coz we have booked 3 rooms altogether. As we have observed that there were vacant rooms upstairs.

Not a good value as it was dear, we were pushed to book as my in-laws booked already in the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank lovely035
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, overall I feel you enjoyed your time with us, feedback is something that we take very seriously both negative and positive and so I will personally ensure that your comments with regards to the Bathroom and Bedroom are checked and rectified as soon as possible. Our guests comfort is very important and all suggestions when possible are acted upon straight away.
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was at a wedding at this hotel. The food at the wedding was very nice and the service at dinner was good. We stayed in the hotel for the wedding. It is very overpriced and the room is only ok for the price. The hotels in kilkenny are generally overpriced anyway. The shower in the room wasnt great.. If at a wedding in this hotel I would stay in the b & bs across the road. But the staff were nice and it was good to stay in the hotel to come and go as please also. Breakfast is good too..
all in all this hotel is grand but is overpriced.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed the wedding. I have also passed your comments with regards to the shower to our Maintenance Manager and he will double check all to ensure they are in perfect working order.
Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

After arriving at 14.50 on the 7th April 2013 and being hungry decided to use voucher that my parents had given me and 15.30 food finally arrived. I ordered Asian Style Peanut Coated Chicken Stir Fry....Honestly Uncle Bens does better flavour all I got was 3 pieces of coated chicken and the rest was just full of noodles. I would not recommend the bar food and will not be back. The price of the main course was 11.90 but for what I got I would not class it as good food although edible it would not be anything but 2 stars if based on quality.

This review is just for the bar food and does not represent Hotel Kilkenny as a Hotel - The restaurant in the bar was not listed on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Fusiondancers
Hotekilkenny, General Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. All our dishes are freshly cooked upon order. As per your review, you arrived at 14.50, and had your dish served at 15.30. Taking into account your order must be taken, after you have also read menus etc… I would not consider the time scale to be excessive. The dish contains all fresh ingredients, and we must ensure everything this cooked correctly. This is a very popular dish and I am sincerely disappointed that it was not to your liking, I have passed your comments on to our kitchen team.

Telford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed one night here in February. Enjoyable stay. Polite and attentive staff. Rooms generally clean and nice decor. Good value. The locations not amazing as it's away from the main town, but depends what you need to stay for.

Would return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your great review, the staff are always trilled to get such positive feed back, and we are very proud to be able to pass it on to them. We hope you will visit us again soon!

Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

First things first, the booking in staff were very courteous and efficient and the room itself was very spacious, clean and well decorated. What let it down were the staff connected to the bar and the restaurant.

First day of our visit’s breakfast was on the day that the clocks went forward and (silly us) we arrived at what was actually 11:00 rather than the 10:00 we thought. There was an Asian man called Khumar (i think) that rudely looked at us as we entered, made eye contact, then turned to a girl that was clearing away and said "no more breakfasts" and then turned away without a second glance. The girl did try and say it in a more friendly and service orientated way, we accepted that and were grateful when she suggested that we may be able to get some toast and a cup of tea from the bar area (we did not bother in the end).
Next event was the following evening when we decided, rather than go out, we would try the bar for a bite to eat. We ordered a starter and two mains. The Young man serving us was quite rude, breaking off from serving me at one point to serve someone else that came up for a drinks order. When the food arrived, it all arrived at once. I asked that all but the starter be sent back, the lad bringing it tried to argue with me, which i was very unhappy with telling me it was not ordered as a starter and we should just accept it as it was. Anyway, the food was virtually inedible and we could not actually finish it. We had also noted that the bar was absolutely rammed solid with families with kids and had enquired (at 8:55) if the children were allowed in the bar after nine and were told, quite definitely, no. They were pretty much all still there at 10:30 when we left.
Final straw was having to queue the final morning for breakfast and , despite being told it would be a five minute wait, after 15 minutes and watching larger groups of people being allowed in before us that had arrived after us, i complained and was told "we have no places for just two people", at which point some manager type intervened and we were told we would be found a space. We were then led into the breakfast area and our friend Khumar was asked to show us to our table. He walked us half way there and pointed and said "there!" and walked away.
Looking around we noted that all the tables seemed to be for four people, and there were a number that were empty. Had we not complained, I wonder exactly how long we would have waited?

So, a nice hotel, good rooms (though we had a double and a single bed clearly pushed together to try and make it a large king size and the single was lower than the others, thus creating an uncomfortable lump in the bed), terrible service and awful food ruined our romantic break. Cannot recommend for anyone but families with low expectations of service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank terryfandorla
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Hotel Kilkenny. I have discussed this at length with our management team, kitchen team and the members of staff you have mentioned. I was disappointed and surprised by the content regarding staff as I sincerely believe we have a dedicated and friendly team. I have ensured that you feed back has been communicated to the staff. We value any feed back we receive and I appreciate the time you took to communicate it.