“LOVED this hotel!”
Review of Hotel Kilkenny

Hotel Kilkenny
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed at 5 different hotels during my recent trip to Ireland- this one was definitely the best! Everything from the exterior of the hotel, the lobby, the bar/restaurant, the hallways, bedroom- perfect! My boyfriend went CRAZY with how incredible the gym was (he's a big workout buff) also was really happy that he could take a spin class during our stay. The pool was beautiful. The view from our bedroom of the gardens outside the hotel was gorgeous. Easy walk to the city centre of town where there were lots of shops and restaurants. I have no complaints! Well, maybe one...not really a complaint but more of confusion- when we went to bed for the night, we thought we had a king bed but discovered upon laying down that it was actually 2 twin mattresses in the kind bedframe...which was a little bizarre and not really great to have a crease like that when trying to sleep...but wasn't a huge deal considering everything else was beyond perfect!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lauren C
Hotekilkenny, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
I am delighted you had such a great time in Ireland ... and you enjoyed out Hotel so much. The 5* Health & Fitness Club is very popular and enjoyed by everyone !
Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments.
_________________________________________________________________________
We employ a team of 150 dedicated people who are focused on delivering great customer service. We actively seek and welcome genuine, constructive feedback as this is what we use to ensure our service and standards constantly improve through our customer care and service review programs. Each member of our Team is aware off all genuine posts on TripAdvisor and we are proud to say that we do not in any way advocate or engage in posting fake reviews

Reviewed March 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed in The Hotel Kilkenny recently and we had a very enjoyable experience.I use a wheelchair and it's often difficult to get an accessible room and facilities.However our room was very accessible with an excellent wet-room.The staff were excellent and our thanks to all especially Mark the manager who was extremely helpful with regards to a minor hiccup.we had.My only problem was that I would have liked to have used the pool but it was inaccessible and speaking to Mark he acknowledged this.A great place to stay will certainly use the hotel again and once again many thanks to all the staff who ensured that we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Paul S
Hotekilkenny, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great review.... while I am sorry that you were not in a position to be able to use the Pool I can see you had an enjoyable experience otherwise. I will make sure Mark gets a copy of your great comments and I will most definitely ensure that the accessibility to the pool for wheelchair users is looked into straight away.
Thanks again and kind regards

Reviewed March 11, 2013

overall, everything was good, breakfast, the rooms, pool and gym. nice staff and walking distance to the city.they do deactivate the key cards a bit early. the hotel bar was good too. if you don't want to walk, there is usually a taxi outside the front door.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Siobhan O

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, we are delighted you enjoyed your time with us and hopefully we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us again very soon.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Attended the IPF Nature Photography Competition Finals here. The facilities were excellent, staff were both friendly and helpful. The lunch was excellent and reasonably priced. The staff were efficient and courteous, and despite being busy, the meal arrived in prompt time. The facilities for the event were also excellent. Thanks to Mark and Kaye for their hospitality.

Room Tip: The lunch is good value.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Powerpix

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to post such great comments, feedback is something we take very seriously both negative and positive. I will ensure Kay and Mark also get a copy of your kind words. Many thanks again.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

This hotel is warm and comfortable and the location is great for visiting Kilkenny city. The reception staff were very welcoming and informative.The room was spacious with a sofa, table and chair for working and comfortable bed. While the en-suite was large enough the cleanliness was not top class. Underneath the taps had not been cleaned and the toilet paper was basic. The food in the Restaurant was adequate but the breakfast was delicious.The swimming pool and gym were very a great bonus.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank NavanViewer

Dear Guest,
I am delighted you had a good stay with us. I am sorry that your experience was not 100% prefect - I will ensure that your comments with regards to the Bedrooms are passed on and actioned straight away. Hopefully we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us again very soon.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

March 2013 was my third month in a row staying at Hotel Kilkenny for business, but after my most recent stay I will *not* be returning!

I can get past booking a Club Room (January) only to find a tiny end table (not even big enough for a 15" laptop!) where a desk should be and NO power outlets (only two on the other side of the room)!

I can get past those ridiculous, 70s handheld dryers installed in every bathroom instead of, you know, providing an actual hair dryer for guests.

But the experience of my March stay really annoyed me. Third month staying there in a row and each time I book I say I'm there on business. This time I was given Room 302 which is right inside the double doors leading to the bedrooms - the double doors where you have to swipe your room card for access. Gee thanks guys, all night people were pulling at the door, calling to people down the hall, how to open it, ramming their luggage against it, cursing, fumbling for their room card etc.

The next morning the shower does not work. Nor do the only vacant plug sockets. I had to wash my hair over the bath(!) and make my tea on the floor by unplugging a lamp. I brought all of the above to reception's attention as I left for the day and maintenance were to fix the issues.

I returned after 4pm and ask reception if the issues were fixed or did I need to change rooms. Receptionist looked like I was crazy, she didn't know if my room was fixed and besides I couldn't be moved as the hotel was full. Great customer service!

Thankfully there's a new shower head in place and the power sockets fixed - good on maintenance at least!

At checkout the next day, the receptionist remembered my issues and asked if they were sorted. I said yes, but stated again that I had to leave yesterday with no shower, wash hair over bath and use the floor as a teamaker. She just laughed!

I requested a discount on my bill as little sleep + maintenance issues were just ridiculous. No, I was advised, I'd prepaid my visit, so no discounts or refunds!
I didn't get to eat dinner on one of the nights, nope, told it was prepaid.

Dreadful customer service if anything does go wrong with your stay. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

PS Why is there a DSL port in the bathroom above the toilet??

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in a room next to the swipe access double doors, you will get NO sleep!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank EMPower83
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Spend last night in this great hotel, Liza & Claire on Reception were very helpful both to myself and my clients. Breakfast was first class, the rooms are fantastic, nice size, the bed very comfortable. Just one small thing I had dinner in the bar, the food was lovely, however, the waiter staff need to improve and the Chief needs to be told how to cook a well done stake. All in all it is a great hotel and I will be back

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments, I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and I will ensure that Claire and Liz see your comments also. I will also ensure that the comments with regards to the Service Team are addressed straight away.