“Good position otherwise underwhelming experience”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Our stay started off badly when we got to our room and found that instead of the family room that I had booked (we have 2 small children), we were given a room with a double and a single bed. I went downstairs to ask for a family room and the rude girl at the front desk looked at me like I was disturbing her peace and told me that there wasn't one. I had luckily printed out my booking and showed her that we had patently booked a family room for 4 people (and paid a deposit for it too) and she snapped at me that they could only give me what they had. I agreed with her but pointed out that they must have one or the booking wouldn't have been accepted. Eventually she gave me a family room (see, they did have one!!) but with very ill-grace. My husband had better luck with helpful people at reception later though (I told him specifically to avoid the Grumpy Girl)
Another warning for people travelling in the summer... they have no air conditioning in any of the rooms. You have to depend on open windows, but at night when you need the curtains drawn this is not a very effective means of ventilation. They did however provide a fan when asked.
The children's club is a playroom in the basement with one young harassed girl trying to keep the children occupied and happy - we had originally been excited at the idea of getting some time away from the kids but on seeing it decided to give it a miss.
The pool was big but be warned that you have to have a swimming cap to go in and they'll charge you £5 for one on the spot.
The breakfast was not bad and the location is nice and close to the castle.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2010

Dear Kittlan,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on tripadvisor.com.

I am really disappointed that you were treated poorly on check-in and I have discussed your comments in lenght with my reception team. Customer care is of paramount importance to me and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed at what I believe we do best. May I apologise profusely to you and your husband for the inconvenience that was caused to you.

Its a pity you didnt avail of our Kids Club as it was a huge success this summer and many parents availed of this free service to get some much needed me time. We insist for hygiene reasons that all visitors to our pool wear swimming hats and if you dont have your own, these are available to buy for a nominal fee of €3, not £5 as you have suggested.

I hope that our location and great value will entice you to visit us again. If you wish to do so please contact me personally so that I can extend you every courtesy.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,765)

Reviewed September 4, 2010

Just back from a two night stay in the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel with my 15 month old daughter and my mother. The hotel is located in an ideal location-2 minutes from the shops, restaurants and Kilkenny castle and only ten minute stroll to mcdonagh junction centre.
The staff were very friendly and helpful (reception, restaurant and house keeping staff). The savoir restaurant serves delicious food and they even provided a free baby bowl for my daughter.
The seconed night we ordered up room service as my baby was tired and it arrived in twenty minutes and have no complaints.
The breakfast was also very good with a choice of cereals, fruit, juices, and full Irish.
I would definitely recommened this hotel-no complaints at all.
Will definitely return when we revisit Kilkenny for some christmas shopping :)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

Dear Eire08,

Many thanks for posting the review of your recent stay with us in the Ormonde.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we seem to have ticked all the boxes for you. We look forward to welcoming you back for your Christmas shopping.

General Manger
Kilkenny Ormomde Hotel

Reviewed August 25, 2010

I stayed in the Ormonde Hotel in November 2009 for purposes of attending an event. I must say that everything about the event and my stay was top quality. The food and service at the event was excellent (well done to Colin, Dee and Martina for all their assistance in ensuring a well run night). The room was extremely comfortable and the ability to roll out of bed, and the hotel, in the morning and immediately be in the middle of Kilkenny was a huge bonus. The front door of the hotel is only a couple of hundred yards from the main street of Kilkenny. Top marks to all in the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends

Dear johnhic11,

Many thanks for posting your review of the Ormonde Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I'm delighted you enjoyed the food, service and also appreciated that you are right in the heart of this vibrant city.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Reviewed August 15, 2010

When you first walk in, the entry and lobby are ultraposh. Terrific cozy lounge area right inside with big squishy sofas and chairs. Food and table service were pretty good, but the young man who was coming "right back" to take our drink order must have fallen down a hole. I felt the accommodations were fine - nothing really to complain or rave about, though I'd call the bathrooms very pretty and well appointed. The worst thing about it is the location - uphill - which is just what you don't need after walking through the town to see the sights. Attention smokers: the outdoor smoking area is actually a long terrace, an outdoor extension of the bar, which was a lovely place to sit in the early morning to watch the town awaken. There's also a "smokers' corner" that you access out in the car park - this would be better in foul weather, probably - the decoration is a delightful surprise - I won't blow it for you, but you'll like it.

• Stayed: August 2010
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2010

Dear RBerkowitz,

Thank you for posting the review of your recent stay on Tripadvisor.com.

I am delighetd that you enjoyed your stay with us, although I must apologise for the poor service you received in our Bar.

Our location is very central and I know that the best way to recover from those hours shopping is to have a drink or one of our renowned hot chocolates in the Lounge.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed August 15, 2010

We are getting married in the Ormonde in September, I have stayed there many times also with children and we have always been really well looked after. Dealing with Martina and also Sinead? (manager) and they have been nothing but professional and engaging. Looking forward to our wedding! Only criticism is the carpet when you walk in always looks dirty!

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Dear Oztralian,

Many thanks for posting your review on Tripadvisor.com.

I will pass your kind words onto Martina and Sinead and I look forward to welcoming you both and your families here in September. It is only around the corner now!

The rug at the front door receives every person who enters the hotel and requires that we get it professionally cleaned on a weekly basis. I will ensure that this is the case the day before your big day.

Colin Ahern,

Reviewed August 11, 2010

I stayed at the Ormonde for a weekend in July. The hotel is lovely on arrival and the staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially the lovely receptionist who checked me out on the Monday.

The parking was very handy, just across from the hotel entrance in a multi-storey car park. The only thing I would say is that it might be good if you could get breakfast until later on a Sunday morning as a lot of hotels are now doing this and it is a real added bonus, especially after a lovely meal and evening in the Ormonde. The hotel was very peaceful despite being in the city centre, however, I might just have been lucky there were no weddings that weekend.

All in all, a lovely stay and I would definitely recommend to friends. Thanks to all at the Ormonde for such a pleasant and comfortable break.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

Dear ClematisBlue,

Thank you for posting the review of your recent stay on Tripadvisor.com.

I am delighedt that you enjoyed your visit and the relaxed and comforatble offering we have in the heart of the City.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

Stayed here one night during a drive through Ireland. Location was fine. Shops and restaurants all near by. Lobby contains a large area of couches and tables where you can eat or drink.
No bellman to help with bags. No on site parking. Garage is self-park across the street.
-Room are bare bones. Holiday-Inn-esque.
- Rooms have no air conditioning. I can't imagine why a city hotel would not have a/c. Room was very stuffy and warm. Opened all the windows, which overlooked the roof of the rest of the building and rows of maybe heating compressors? Hard to say. Houses behind. And then a large construction site with a crane looming. Came back from dinner and room was filled with moths and other bugs. You have your choice to sleep with open windows, bugs, noise and people able to look right in your room and no security or you can close up and be warm. At 8 AM construction site came alive with banging and machinery (and us, with open windows.)
-In the afternoon coffee service is set up in the lobby. We asked for decaf coffee and were charged 2.95 euro (!!) for it even though coffee service was gratis!
-No wi-fi in rooms. They supply you with a cable, no charge.
-Room has no wash cloths (??), no pads, no pens, no hair conditioner, no extra towels
-Beds are futon-like. No box spring, just a mattress on wood slats.
-Went into the steak house around 8:30. Someone - maitre d'?- blew past and over his shoulder said "Maybe I can seat you in 30 minutes or so" and left us standing there without ever welcoming us or asking us what we wanted. We left and had a really nice 90 euro meal down the block.
With so many nice hotels around we would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Biobrat,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I was very disappointed to hear of your experience, as the least you can expect from a hotel such as ours is a good nights sleep in comfortable surroundings. May I take this opportunity to apologise profusely to you and assure you that I have spoken with our management team about your comments on the service you received.

We are the only city centre hotel to offer complimentary parking to all our guests right next door and as with most hotels in Ireland have no need for air conditioning 11 months of the year. That said, it was unusually warm in Kilkenny in August and we provided fans to all our guests who required them. I would also like to clarify that we do not offer a complimentary coffee service in the lobby so I am a liitle confused about this comment.

If you are in Kilkenny in the future I would be delighted if you would contact me personally so that I may have the opportunity to make up for any inconvenience and show you every courtesy.