“Great Location in a great city”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed July 8, 2010

I stayed here the other weekend with friends for a stag weekend. We found the location to be ideal as we were only a short stroll from the main street and all the bars etc.

The hotel is a little dated as has been mentioned before but it is very clean. The lobby area is nicely laid out with plenty of sofas and decent floor service.

There is no air-conditioning in the bedrooms which could be a problem in the hot days- how many of those do we have in Ireland though??- but the beds are very comfortable. The bathroom was clean too although again it could do with a revamp.

Breakfast is busy and the room is not huge but the staff seat you and they are very efficient at clearing tables etc. I thought the breakfast was great- plenty of hot food as well as toast, tea, cereals etc.

I didnt use the Spa and Leisure center but my friends took a swim and liked the look of everything

I would recommend this hotel for families and groups. There did seem to be a lot of both staying in the hotel when I was there.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2010

Dear Gazzerooni,

Thanks for your review on Tripadvisor of your recent visit to the Ormonde and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location really is super and is perfect for families, groups and couple to enjoy all Kilkenny has to offer.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2010

We stayed at the Ormonde for one night and it was a nice place to stay. We had two triple rooms. The room was very nice and large for three people. It was very clean and spacious. The breakfast the next morning was just what we needed to get us started for a day of sightseeing. It was a good value for the price and centrally located.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Dear VARetiredAF,

Thank you for posting your review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed our facilities and location, not to mention the hearthy Irish breakfast.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Ireland.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed June 11, 2010

Dont do this often but here goes. Just home from 3 nights in this hotel.
Good points . Excellent food in bar and the restaurant.
Excellent service, v friendly staff especially towards our 21mnt old little boy.
Lovely breakfast, lots of variety and fresh.
Clean, not shining but adequately clean.
Nice open lounge/reception area where kids are v welcome.
Location. very central, easy to find and lots of parking beside it. (Free)
Nice leisure centre and spa.
Child friendly, our little fella was twice given crayons by staff to keep him amused.

Bad points.
Rooms very warm at night. Didnt see a way of turning it down.
One grumpy staff member at breakfast (asked for a highchair and he pointed towards it !!!! )
Can be noisy at night due to location but presume its like this with any city centre hotel.
Needs a wee bit of a shining, especially on the walk between leisure centre and hotel lifts.
Is a very nice hotel but 4 stars prob a bit generous, a very high 3 though.
Internet signal wasnt very strong in our room, kept kicking us off. not sure if its like this in them all though.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank frankyboy30

Dear Frankyboy23,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Ormonde Hotel on Tripadvisor.

Please accept my apologies over the negative aspects of your stay, however, I am delighted that the positive elements outweighed the bad.

I assure you that I have taken all your comments on board and I hope you choose to stay with us, on your next visit to our wonderful City, as it would give me the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Reviewed June 8, 2010

We stayed in the Ormonde Hotel, Kilkenny, last weekend, which was the weekend of the Cat Laughs Festival. From the outside I thought that hotel appeared fairly impressive & was in an excellent location, however that was the only impressive thing about the hotel, from the minute I walked through the doors I was disappointed. The carpet at the entrance appeared to be wet or dirty.....this was not a good first impression of the hotel! We checked in & excitedly went to our room, I was once again disappointed with the decor, dont get me wrong it wasnt thee worst hotel room I had ever seen but it, to me, certainly wasnt 4 star standard. The bathroom was grubby looking, nothing impressive about it at all, to be honest I've stayed in nicer 3 star hotels. We went out to a comedy gig on the Saturday night but just went for a meal & had a quiet night in on the Sunday night but let me tell you it was anything but quiet! The noise from the street was unbelievable, we had closed all our windows but the noise was so bad that it was as though every single window in the room was left wide open!! We both woke on numerous occassions, not just at the peak time of night when everyone is leaving nightclubs & going home, we were both woken at 5a.m by loud shouts from the street, then we were woken again at approx 6a.m with someone across from our room pounding on their door & shouting at the top of his voice. Absolutely ridiculous & just not good enough when we had paid €420 for our weekend away. We went to the pool / jacuzzi on Sunday evening to relax & once again we were disappointed because the water in the jacuzzi was freezing. The only two positive things I can say about the Ormonde Hotel is that it is in an excellent central location & they do a great breakfast. Wouldnt stay here again, €420 is too expensive for a hotel that, in my opinion, really is not a 4 star!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank omc79

Dear omc79,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I was very disappointed to hear of your experience, as the least you can expect from a hotel such as ours is a good nights sleep. May I take this opportunity to apologise profusely to you and assure you that I have spoken with our management team about your comments.

The Cat Laughs weekend is the biggest festival in Kilkenny each year and brought an estimated 25,000 people to Kilkenny this year. It brings a carnival atmosphere, so much so that I am sure that your experince would be very different any other weekend.

If you are in Kilkenny in the future I would be delighted if you would contact me personally so that I may have the opportunity to make up for any inconvenience and show you every courtesy.

Reviewed June 7, 2010

Just back from bank hol weekend -Cat laughs festival , stayed at KO, the most friendly efficient staff ever work at this venue from front desk to waiting staff to Spa staff. We were delighted to be upgraded to Presidential Suite on arrival, its very classy with fab bathroom, deep bath with candles surrounding it, tv and lovely double shower..This place has a lovely comfy Foyer/ Lounge where you can loll around in big comfy couches having afternoon tea or drinks. Tried the steakhouse restaurant, for hotel food its pretty ok with the steak rising above hotel food to very good. Excellent breakfast here, very fresh. Had a deep tissue massage and also a facial and both were excellent, Caught one of the comedy shows here as well, Its the perfect venue for the festival, and despite it being so busy , it doesn't lower its standards. Will definitely be back , We had stayed in Lyrath Hotel recently but would prefer KO for the sheer friendliness and warm surroundings.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sultanas

Dear Sultanas,

Thanks so much for your great review of our Hotel and the Cat Laughs Festival on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and with us and our fabulous Presidential Suite. We had 22 concerts in the hotel over the festival and we are the home of the Cat Laughs Festival Club also so you were definately in the right place!!

I look forward to welcoming you back next year or sooner if you get the opportunity.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed June 4, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for one night, attending a conference there the next day. We were not exactly sure what to be expecting when we arrived but were more than impressed! We were welcomed at the desk by a lovely lady(Emma), despite the room was not ready. The room was spotless and had a few but nice toiletries and the room didnt seem at all tired (as mentioned by another reviewer). We went to the pool and we had it to ourselves for the most part. Theres a jacuzzi, which was wonderfull. The decor thoughout the hotel is very nice and its all seems very new. We went to Savour restaurant, for a meal, and the staff were friendly enough and appropriately attentive. Breakfast was lovelyI could not recommened this hotel enough.
A reference for the night porter (a spanish gentleman?), even through a peak of service at the lounge, he kept up a high standard service and was very helpful and friendly

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank KOlouDonegal

Dear Koloudonegal,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.com.

I appreciate your kind comments and I am delighted that you enjoyed our conference & leisure facilities, food and Kilkenny in general. I will pass on your kind comments to the relevant team members

I look forward to welcoming you back to Kilkenny in the future.

Reviewed May 31, 2010

My wife and I were married in May and had our reception in the Ormonde. From the minute we booked the reception the hotel could not do enough for us. The staff were very accommodating - every personal request was catered for. The reception was terrific value with lots of extras thrown in at no extra charge. The location is brilliant as its very central. Since the wedding we have heard nothing but very positive comments from friends and family about the food, staff and atmosphere. So full marks all round!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gowldoleer

Dear Gowldoleer,

Many Thanks for your review on Tripadvisor of your wedding with us in the Ormonde and I am delighted that it met with your expectations.

On behalf of all the team I'd like to wish you health and happiness together and I look forward to welcoming you back again.