“Nice hotel, but avoid the restaurants”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed September 19, 2009

The hotel and rooms are nice, but contrary to their claims they do NOT have Wi-Fi in the rooms. They do have ethernet ports, and they will lend you a cable, but you will be tethered to the desk as a result. The breakfast buffet is dreadful: watery instant scrambled eggs, fatty meats, tiny croissants. The steak I had for dinner in their restaurant was mostly fat, and they were blasting rock music through terrible speakers for most of the meal. Location in the town center is great, with a parking garage across the street (no charge for hotel guests). The spa is also across the street, accessed via a basement tunnel, and also free to hotel guests. Good pool, sauna and steamroom.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2009

Dear YanksAbroad,

I would like to acknowledge your recent stay at the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel and thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, be they complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we may maintain our high standards.

May I apologise profusely to you for the poor quality of food on offer during your stay. I can assure you that i have highlighted your comments with my team in the kitchen, with a particular emphasis on our breakfast buffet. On a more positive note, i appreciate your kind comments about our leisure facilities.

Finally, YanksAbroad, I very much regret that you may have formed a poor impression of our Hotel. I am confident, however, that your experiences would not represent our normal high standards. It is certainly not in our interest, especially in the current economic climate, to have dissatisfied customers and that is why I am so appreciative of you bringing your experiences to my attention. I would be delighted that if you are returning to Kilkenny that you could see fit to stay in the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. Please contact me personally so that I can extend you every courtesy and a competitive rate.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,

Colin Ahern

There are newer reviews for Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Reviewed September 11, 2009

Just back from a two night break in the Ormonde hotel- and how I wished that I had booked somewhere else. Rooms were small and so loud, we could hear the people next door and those outside on the road. Beware if there is a function on in the hotel as the music can be heard throughout the hotel. The leisure center left alot to be desired, there were swimming lessons on which meant there was hardly any room to actually swim. The showers in the leisure center were so bad, I couldn't even get the suds washed out of my hair! Didn't try the spa and glad I didn't. The location was really good-close to everything- the car park is a multi storey located across the road, this was a bit of a suprise, the hotel validated the card though. We ate in the steakhouse restaurant, it felt like an opening night, nothing went right, our order was wrong, waited half an hour for dessert- overall would definately not recommend this hotel or ever go back there myself.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2009

Dear MKLDUB,

I would like to acknowledge your recent visit to the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel and may I thank you for taking the time and trouble to write your review on Tripadvisor. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, be they complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we may maintain our high standards.

At the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel we pride ourselves on our customer care and attention to detail and that is why I was upset to hear of your disappointment with your recent visit. May I apologise profusely to you for the poor level of service you experienced and assure you that I have addressed you comments with the entire team here. Customer care is of paramount importance to me and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed at what we believe we do best. I can assure you, however, that I have put measures in place to ensure that such incidents experienced by you are not repeated.

Finally, MKLDUB, I very much regret that you may have formed a poor impression of our Hotel, however, I am confident that your experiences would not represent the normal high standards that prevail here in catering for the needs of our guests. It is certainly not in our interest, especially in the current economic climate, to have dissatisfied customers and that is why I am so appreciative of you bringing your experiences to my attention. I do hope that you can see fit to visit the Ormonde Hotel again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. I would be delighted if you contacted me personally so that I can reassure you of this and offer you a very competitive rate.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,

Colin Ahern

Reviewed September 4, 2009

Just back from a three night stay in Kilkenny and we had a lovely time. The room was big and perfect for the four of us. The food in the resturants was of high standards. Tired the spa and it was also really enjoyable. My two young children really enjoyed the kids club. my only gripe would be the times of the kids club(during the day we were out and about and would use the club in the early evening) and the childrens use of the swimming pool both closed quite early as a result we were back to the bedroom quite early. I would go back

Reviewed August 21, 2009

Stayed here with a hen party, and i know hotels generally dont have a great lot of time for hens but this place was ridiculous! First they had no rooms ready when we arrived and after being told to wait in the foyer they completely forgot aout us and started to check others in before us! The rooms are very small and lets just say the view left alot to be desired! The staff were not all useless but the majority of those we dealt with, looked miserable and not very friendly at all. I wont be going back here. The car park isnt even with the hotel, its a city centre one so dont leave any valuables there. You wont feel safe leaving the car!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2009

We have just returned home from a three nite stay in this hotel it was a nightmare ...firstly when i went to book over the phone there was nobody in reservations to take my call so i was told that somebody would contact me within 15 mins but 2 hrs later still no phone call anyway i managed to make a booking .We arrived on Sunday 16th of August really looking forward to our 4 star hotel but unfortunately we never came across 4 star quality ...rooms were average ,breakfast was average and the restaurant o reillys steakhouse was an absolute disgrace ,We had a dreadful meal from start to finish on the Sunday night and the same again but worse on the Tuesday night we were actually served our main course before our starters and our warm brownies with ice cream were frozen brownies with ice cream need i say anymore ...even on checkout we had hassle there was an error on our bill we were been overcharged and it took three different members of staff to sort the problem out .I will never be returning to this hotel it was a faulty towers experience in a so called 4 STAR hotel .

Reviewed August 20, 2009

I stayed in the Ormande last weekend and am stunned by the earlier reviews. We had stayed in 3 hotels over the course of a week, ending in Kilkenny and this hotel was the best out of the 3. We had a quiet room away from noise. I did request this as I am pregnant and have a 5 yr old so go to bed early. I am very fussy but had no issues at all with the hotel. I found the staff to be extremely nice and helpfull. The restaurant was run very efficently and the food was great. We had about a 5 min wait for breakfast one morning but that was it. We were on a Supervalu breakaway deal and found it be great value. The only quibble was the heat in the room. I was on the 3rd floor and no breeze came in. I requested a fan the next day and one was delivered to my room. Problem solved. Also one thing to note. If you want to book spa treatments in KO, do so a couple of weeks in advance. They were totally booked up for the weekend we were there. With regard to Internet, we were given a cable to pulg in laptop and the speed was good. I will definitely visit this hotel again!

1  Thank Dizer1
Reviewed August 13, 2009

this hotel definately did not stand upto a 4* hotel. we were woken in the early hours of the morning with noise outside and closing the windows didnt help as they were coming off the hinges, not very child proof when u have a 4 yr. old with you. the breakfast left nothing to be desired it seems the leftovers are brought forward to the following morning! the proof was in the sausages. we had dinner in the steak house restraunt as part of our supervalu break deal which was very poor. the fresh fruit dessert in which my husband ordered looked as if someone had been eating at it previously with teeth marks in the apple. overall the worst hotel break of my life. very dissapointed and we wonder why people opt to go abroad.