Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We booked recently to see Damien Dempsey and Jack L in the Set Theatre in Kilkenny and were very fortunate to book a most magnificient hotel in Kilkenny for the two nights of the gigs. The Kilkenny Ormonde is one of the best hotels I was ever in. From the moment you step into the foyer which is totally immaculate, you are greeted by the lovely staff on reception and take in the atmosphere , you know you are on a winner! Everything about this hotel is top class. Our room was stylish, comfortable and well maintained. Our breakfasts were second to none and again the staff were so friendly , professional and efficient. The icing on the cake for me was the way in which the staff prepared for a wedding party on that day. The red carpet was laid out and heart shaped candle holders lined the entrance to the hotel. Again inside , was a beautiful display of candles for the couple. Check it out anyone thinking of Kilkenny for their big day!! It was clear from the staff member who was constantly checking the carpet , the level of care the wedding party could expect in the hotel.
We went back on Saturday night after the gig in the Set , as Kilkenny itself was buzzing on that night. The Hotel had live music in the bar and was a great finish to our evening. !! I would also recommend the Hotel Spa and leisure facilities. The Spa has offers on if you feel like treating yourself. Again check it out on the hotel website. I must mention also the central location you enjoy while staying in the Ormonde. You are right in the heart of Kilkenny city , a stones throw from the castle.!!
Looking forward to staying again in the Kilkenny Ormonde and hope this review is helpful.
Deirdre

Room Tip: I have stayed in this hotel twice and both times our room was lovely.Bathrooms too are gorgeous.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dobsie186605
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear dobbsie186605,

Thank you for your very kind words and I'm delighted that you had an enjoyable two nights in our great City. We really appreciate the recommendation.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,751)

Reviewed July 13, 2014

The location makes this an excellent place to stay and explore the city. Parking is just across the road. it has an excellent leisure centre on the premises as well.
The staff, as in nearly all Irish hotels, were great.And the bar food was good and of value.
The only downside was the noise from the band at wedding on both night of our stay. it made it difficult to get to sleep

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Fuseen,

I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay, in general, although I do note your comment about the music and I'm sorry if it took from your stay in any way.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Stayed there over a weekend. Staff were very friendly and the hotel couldn't possibly be in a better location. Food in the hotel was excellent and in general the hotel was very clean. Rooms are reasonably priced. Would strongly recommend this place.

Dear Ben M,

Thank you for your recommendation and I'm delighted to read that you had an enjoyable weekend. I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed for two nights, was greeted on arrival by very helpful and friendly staff. Had lunch while waiting for our rooms to be ready. Enjoyed very much by all. Great locality, center of everything. Has a great leisure center, which I took advantage of. Rooms were very nice and breakfast was great. Would definitely go back.

3  Thank Nora E

Dear Nora E,

Thank you for the great recommendation and I'm delighted that you enjoyed staying with us. Our location really is second to none in this great City.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Only stayed one night, very central & handy for castle, restaurants & so on. Reasonably priced with a very very good variety of breakfast goods.

Clean & tidy room, little bit small with 2 double beds however great for the night. Only issue was that we requested a cot, this came no problem. I had to ask for bedding & when it came it was not really suitable for a cot at all. I had to improvise with towels & pillows, would be nice if they splashed out for cot sheets & blanket to go with the cot!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank WritingKiwi

Dear WritingKiwi,

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay, in general, although I do note your comment about the cot and I apologise if it took from your stay in any way.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a nice break away and at 180 a night was expecting a much higher standard of hotel. The paint was flaking away from the side of the bath, there was fake tan marks in the doors and walls also. The floor beside and under the beds were filthy as were the skirting boards. We had dinner in the bar and there was a piece of paper in the middle of the chicken wrap that I had. The hotel is a great location but not a 4 star standard compared to the other 4 star hotels in Kilkenny. Also the car park is across the road and there is a fee to use it.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank emronconcon

Dear emronconcon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we may maintain our high standards.

At the Ormonde, we pride ourselves on our professional service and attention to detail and that is why I was so upset to hear of your disappointment. A good standard of housekeeping is of utmost importance to me and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed at what I believe we do best. The least you should expect from a hotel such as ours is to find your guestroom in a clean and hygienic manner and I am truly sorry that this was not the case. May I take this opportunity to apologise profusely for the inconvenience caused to you.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Beautiful Hotel! We started off our day with Afternoon tea. This was lovely and served in the main bar/reception with big windows and seats. The only problem was the vegetarian options weren't great for the sandwiches. We then went over to the Spa for the half-day refresh. GREAT Value! Started with some time in the relaxation suite, then in for a hot stone back massage, a full facial and a mini pedicure. Amanda was fantastic, so relaxing and really gave me lots of info on skincare and regimes specific to my skin type. I'll be back!

1  Thank Kayleigh H

Dear Kayleigh H,

Thank you for the lovely review. I will certainly pass on your kind comments to Amanda and we'll work on getting some better vegetarian options in the afternoon tea.