“Should have been better.”

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed October 7, 2008

We stayed in the Ormonde for 2 nights recently on the 03&04 October 2008. The hotel is in a good location for town and most of the attractions in the area. The reception staff where friendly and helpful however there were a few issues that made the stay less pleasant than it should have been. Our room was dark with a view of the car park. There was no drinking water in the room other than that in the mimi bar and no mini bar price list available. There was pealing paint flaking off above our shower. We both felt cold in the room and when calling reception where told that the heating was not on, this was October in Ireland after all. The restaurant staff were very friendly but the food was dissapointing, watch out for extra charges that accompany some items on the menu. We ordered a room serivce breakfast which arrived with someone elses food choices and room number crossed out with ours written over, you pay an additional €6.35 per person for the breakfast in bed. The health club was clean and functional and staff friendly I have to say. Overall this stay did not offer any of the luxury that you would associate with a modern 4 star hotel, is was functional at best and the attention to detail was clearly lacking.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,766)

Reviewed September 22, 2008

Perhaps my best experience in a hotel in Ireland; I have unfortunately not encoutered better service and friendliness in a 4star hotel in this country. Of particular mention would be waiter Steven and Emma at reception. Steven organized halal food to be delivered to the hotel after their restaurant was closed, while Emma arranged for breakfast to be delivered to the room at 5am as we were fasting. It was only marred by our second day in the hotel when a communication error between staff resulted in breakfast not being delivered for our morning meal in time. That could've been a big problem if we did not have leftovers from the day before. The staff incharge of room service apologized though for the mix-up.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend break.
The hotel is perfectly located in the centre of the city within walking distance to everything. We ate in the hotel on Friday night as it was part of the package. They have two restaurants - a steakhouse and Savour which is a bit more formal. We opted for Savour and the meal was very nice. The only thing I would say is the restaurant was very and lacked atmosphere. The staff were very friendly.
The breakfast was good with lots of variety.
We were on the 4th floor which it says are the executive rooms - nice rooms but I would have been a bit disappointed if I had paid extra for an executive room! The bar was quite lively both nights and the foyer seemed to be very comfortable for people with children to sit in at night when it was too late for the bar.
My husband and I both had massages in the KO Spa in the hotel which were very nice. One little tip for the girls in the spa - dont call people so loudly from the relaxation room. The pool is large and the jacuzzi, sauna & steamroom all very good.
All in all, I would stay here again if in Kilkenny.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eileen-Mark
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Stayed there for two nights in June. Rooms spacious, staff friendly. Swimming pool, sauna, steam room and gym available in the hotel. Spa also available though we did not avail of this. Located in the heat of kilkenny near the castle in walking distance of just about everything. We ate in the hotel steak house in the hotel one of the nights, the service here was poo and the food was below average. The second night we ate in a nearby famous restaurant Rinnochini's which I highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2008

I arrived at the hotel with my wife and child, having spent two great nights at the Lord Bagenal in Leighlinbridge. On the plus side the hotel's location is excellent, central and close to the castle. Unfortunately that is where the positives end. The room was small and dark, the small window provided a beautiful view of the air conditioning units. We were offered an alternative room, even smaller window, view of the car park. The breakfast was rushed, we were made to wait for a table then felt like we were on a conveyor belt. I went to use the bathroom and my tea was cleared whilst I was gone, despite my wife still sitting at the table. Dinners were OK, we had two included, although the menu was limited. Ultimately, the hotel needs to refocus itself to cater for a holiday market; this should certainly include more local staff to promote 'Irish hospitality'. The overwhelming impression we were left with was of a basic business orientated hotel, with little charm and a complete lack of customer focus. What a shame.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I stayed here in this Hotel on the nights of the 3rd and 4th April of this year and I have to say that this hotel overall was up to date and clean and that staff were professional. My room was faultless except for the view out the window. The staff were great in keeping an item in safe storage , which I had mislaid. The only fault I have with the place was the hot food served for breakfast which I did not like at all.
An unusual feature of the hotel is the sunken Courtyard which is well below street leval adjecent to a basement conference room. The Hotel itself is conviently located in a sidestreet in the heart of Kilkenny City and the afternoon I arrived it was a very pleasent Sunny Day. It was a real pleasure to walk straight out of the Hotel and around Kilkenny Itself.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2008

My wife and I stayed in the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel for two nights last month on a weekend break. This is just a note to say how fantastic our stay was and how we were so happy with the level of service we received. Our every wish was attended to promptly, with extreme courtesy and most imporatntly with a smile.
From the first moment we arrived, the staff on reception in particular were exceptional in terms of their efficiency but more importantly their welcome. Nothing was too much trouble and they really set the tone for our stay. The rooms were very nice and the food, including dinner was really lovely.
Having travelled all over Ireland and having stayed in many hotels, this visit gave us back some confidence in the hotel sector in this country. Congrats and well done to everybody in the Ormonde Hotel and we would recommend it to anybody looking for a memorable experience in the Southwest.

Regards L & R