“Location and Services”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Kilkenny Ormonde is a large full service hotel. In Europe, we usually choose much smaller properties. However, the location is outstanding and the hotel has a wide array of services, including a pool/fitness center (which we did not see). The buffet breakfast is comprehensive and mostly well prepared, but the large groups that use this hotel can cause crowding and noise. Our room was very nice...clean, thoughtful, spacious. Staff are generally excellent. Check-in/out were simple. Kilkenny is wonderful...great shopping, food, tourist sites, and a neat and efficient train station. Try Kyteler's Pub for food, drink, and music. Although this type of hotel is not our norm, we would recommend it without other reservation.

Room Tip: Unsure which rooms may be "better" but you may want to request away from large group blocs...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cra238, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear travelmansam,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on Tripadvisor. I'm really glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you will recommend us in the future.

Yours in Service,

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,766)

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed one night for a hen party which included B&B and 1Dinner, which I thought was lovely. Comfortable twin bedroom, very clean and had everything you need/ expect. Breakfast was nice but perhaps the quality of the sausages, bacon, black and white pudding could be reviewed, you can get better without having to pay over the odds so that was the only thing I wasn't mad about, stuck with continental breakfast as a result. But then I am fussy when it comes to food. Would stay again and maybe venture out for breakfast. Otherwise I would have no problem recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear RealReview,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback. I’m really glad that you enjoyed your stay, in general, although I do note your comment about breakfast. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused and I hope that it did not take too much from your stay.

I hope to welcome you back to our Hotel in the future and look forward to meeting you personally so that I can extend you every courtesy.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We recently held our wedding at the Ormonde hotel.
From the minute we first met Deirdre and booked the wedding we found that the staff could not do enough for us.
The hotel was spotless, comfortable and spacious and conveniently situated in the center of town.
All of the staff in the hotel were excellent from the receptionists to the waiting staff and housekeeping, all were welcoming and seemed to be happy in what they were doing and always greeted us with big smiles.
On our wedding day we were warmly welcomed and our guests were well looked after.
The dinner was fabulous, everything went as planned and was brilliantly organised. The suite where the wedding dinner took place looked stunning.
The bridal suite had everything that you could ever wish for and we were welcomed into it with a lovely card and single red rose.
The champagne breakfast was amazing and there was lots of choice in the buffet breakfast which was great for our guests.
From the moment we booked the wedding until the moment we checked out we did not have a single complaint.
All of our guests could not speak highly enough of the hotel and the staff.
We would like to say a massive thanks to Deirdre and Louise for all of their help and organisation in the build up to the wedding and Sinead for helping the big day run smoothly she was amazing.
We can not speak highly enough about the hotel and we would recommend the hotel to everyone.

Dear Majella B,

I'm delighted to read that your big day was a success and that we got to play a very small part in its success. Thank you so much for your kind words and i'll make sure to pass them on to the relevant people.

Congratulations to you both and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed here Bank Holiday Monday and despite booking and paying in full 5 days in advance, we got what must be the worst room in the Hotel. Room 226 was directly opposite the double doors leading to the lift and corridors and they banged shut continuously. We had tried to take a nap earlier in the day but had to give up, and we were also woken at 7am next morning with the noise of the door banging closed as guests moved about. Whatever was overhead also caused lots of noise, it must have been an un-carpeted room as the noise level was extensive. Our room, while nicely decorated and very clean, overlooked the back and our view was that of the roof top heating system, 'least I think that's what it was!
The hotel was very busy and although we had to wait for a table for breakfast, it was well organised and a short wait in the lobby was no hardship. The breakfast however was very disappointing, the buffet area is small and crowded so if people are queuing for cereals or fruit you have to get behind them even if all you want is the hot dishes, no room to get ahead as it is all on the same run. As the restaurant was very busy the food ran out and there were no sausages or bacon for quite a while, in fact I had finished scrambled eggs and toast before these items were replaced, overall it was a little chaotic and badly ran. I waited so long for extra toast that I left before it arrived.
I probably would go here again at a less busy time, ie, not school holidays. Because it has a kids club and leisure centre,(dated and in need of improvement) it attracts a lot of family groups. The general decor, rooms, prices and relaxing areas are all lovely and the location could not be better. Parking is across the road in a secure carpark and the subsidised fee of just €5 overnight is a great deal as you do not need your car in Kilkenny. Overall I was disappointed with the noisy room we had and especially with the lack of attention to detail in the breakfast buffet, after a sleepless night, a good relaxed breakfast would have been welcome.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 226 or any close by, you will not sleep!

Dear Macker727,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we can maintain our high standards.

Whilst I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay, in general, and would return, I do note your comments about breakfast and the guestroom. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused and I hope that it did not take too much from your stay.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We recently spent one night at the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel. We were pleased with the comfort and cleanliness of the rooms. The hotel is also conveniently located near the town and walking distance to all the tourist attractions. The real standout though was the excellent service provided by the front desk staff. We had an issue with our rental car and the young lady at the front desk went above and beyond to help us try to sort it out. Her help was really appreciated.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sue W,

Thank you for your lovely review of our Hotel. I'm really glad that we were able to help you with the small problem you had and I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We spent two nights at this hotel. Must say it was very nice; modern spacious rooms, clean. Lobby was clean comfortable and spacious. We had great meals; evening meals were very tasty (roasted lamb). Just wish I could have had a second helping of their desserts - absolutely scrumptious. The hotel is located within walking distance to the town with some nice shops (great hot chocolate and other goodies!)

1  Thank runawaypancake

Dear runawaypancake,

I'm really glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for the lovely review. I hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Yours in Service,

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

After a recent stay, we found the hotel to be clean, reasonably priced and fairly comfortable. We were kindly upgraded to a Junior Suite on arrival. Unfortunately, we found that while it was a little more spacious, it was of no real extra benefit and a standard room would've been just as adequate.
There was also an issue with noise in the room. The suites are on the 4th floor, the top floor, and there was a lot of ceiling noise from contracting roof beams. So much so that it kept us awake.

We had breakfast in bed, which was a little late coming, but was generous. It wasn't quite warm enough for me, but that's to be expected with breakfast in bed.

The hotel is very nice, well kept, and the staff are friendly. I would have no problem recommending it for anyone looking for a practical, central, competent hotel, but it doesn't quite come to my expectant standards for a luxury/romantic break.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cra238, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Stephen C,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we can maintain our high standards.

Whilst I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay, in general, I'm disappointed that we did not meet your expectations throughout. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused and I hope that it did not take too much from your stay.