“need a break after staying here.. very disappointing..”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
wicklow
“need a break after staying here.. very disappointing..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

just home from this hotel...my sister and i booked in to this 4 star hotel for 2nights for a relaxing break away without the kids.we arrived early and we understood that our room wasn't ready so we went out for a bit of lunch and the hotel rang to say our room was ready. when we got to our room we noticed how bitterly cold it was the radiator was stone cold.so at 2.30 i rang down to reception who informed me that the heating was not due to come on till 6 o clock.i told the girl the room was freezing and she sent us up a small heater. this didn't help much but we waited till 6 and the heating didn't come on. we were going out at 7 for dinner and asked the girl at the desk could this be sorted before we got back and she said yes. we got back at 10.30ish and i was looking forward to getting into a nice hot bath in a hot room but AGAIN it was freezing. my sister went down to reception again and was told its to late to do anything about it tonight. we were sent up another heater. i slept fully clothed against a freezing cold radiator in a room that possibly hadn't been heated in days and this is in a FOUR STAR hotel. the next morning two men came into the room to fix the rad, it came on for all of 15mins and was back off again. Again i rang down and was told it was on timer due to come on at 3.30. i could not understand why they didn't just leave it on to heat the cold room up!! we had to go back down to speak to reception because i wanted to ask the girl did she think i was been unreasonable asking for a bit of heat in a room we paid for. she asked did we want to move rooms.. at this stage in my opinion our relaxing stress free break away was ruined all we were doing was complaining, we had to pack up our stuff to move to another room and while we were doing this the head of accommodation came in to see if our room had been cleaned and she said this room is freezing, anyway we moved to our new room which was warmer and a bit bigger and it was an interconnecting room with a guest who liked a loud telly and liked to talk all night. we were sent up a bottle of wine but it didn't have a note or anything and i'm not even sure it was meant for us because we didn't order it but if it was a way of an apology for this disaster of a break away we weren't a wear of it.another thing i didn't like was the fact that we had to pay up front on arrival. TIP don't stay in room 235
POSITIVE NOTES: the hotel is in a great location the staff are nice and the food is nice and i think if our problem had of been dealt with straight away this review may have been a lot different. i might consider going back here with my husband because of the location and i do believe in second chances BUT i will be asking can i see the room before i pay..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear countrygirlwicklow,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback on Tripadvisor.com. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we can maintain our high standards.

It is very important to me that our guests have a good experience throughout the entire hotel and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed, in any way, at what I believe we do best. The least you should expect from a hotel such as ours is to find your guestroom in a warm and comfortable manner and I am sorry that this was not the case. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any upset or inconvenience we may have caused you and I assure you that it is certainly not the norm here. I have spoken in length, just this morning, with my team in accommodation and although, it may be of little comfort to you now, I am certain that no future guest will have to experience such a poor standard of service and quality.

Finally, I really appreciate that you took the time to mention the positive aspects of your stay with us. I hope that you can see fit to return to the Ormonde the next time you are in Kilkenny and please contact me when you are so that I may have the opportunity to extend you every courtesy.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel as an inclusive midweek break with B&B, dinner on 1 night and lunch on the other day.
On arrival we were welcomed by the very helpful Brenda who gave us great tips as it was our first visit.
The room was clean but, in my opinion, in need of redecoration, some areas of wallpaper were "repaired" with paint. The bathroom ceiling was peeling over the shower head & the silicone seal around the bath was blackened in places.
The heating could not be adjusted from the room & seemed to come on at strange times, cold room in early morning.
Breakfast was buffet style & not great, bacon stuck together & a solid mass of scrambled egg.
On the second morning however we ordered & were served gorgeous fresh poched eggs on toast.
Dining room for dinner was freezing with everyone complaining & 1 woman & daughter moved table as it was so cold.
On the up side the staff were excellent all round and made up for the let downs with their charm.
All in all this hotel needs a bit more care and could be great with a bit of attention.

1 Thank ManUhead
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear ManUhead,

Thank you for posting your review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor.com.

Whilst I appreciate you kind comments about our staff and other aspects of your stay, I am disappointed that your entire experience was not up to your satisfaction. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I hope that you will return again in the future and I would be delighted if you contact me personally so that I can show you every courtesy.

Athy, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Lovely hotel in a great location central to shops and castle, car park is just opposite and a good rate. We were given a beautiful room had everything you needed, defiantly a 4* friendly staff, would recommend this hotel to family and friends and will return again without a doubt..

Dear Pippintinker,

Thank you for your review and I am delighted that you will recommend us in the future. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Monaghan, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

The staff are very friendly and helpfull, the swimming pool is big and very very clean. The familt room 102 was very spacious. Bar food was slow but lovely. defo would recomend this hotel. we had a great weekend in it 2 adults and two kids age 10 and 15. Very child friendly.

Room Tip: our room was over reception, it was a family room. room 102, it was very big. King size bed and 2 si...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Budlitelady,

I'm really glad that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay here, that you will recommend us and our fabulous Leisure Club.

Thank you for the review.

Superior
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Spent our first night in Ireland at the Hotel Ormonde. We arrived in Kilkenny without a hotel reservation and was directed to the Hotel Ormonde. The rooms were nice and large with good sized bathrooms (nice soaps & lotions provided). The bed was very comfortable, after a transatlantic flight it was just what we needed for a good nights rest. Had a light supper in the bar that was very tasty and breakfast the next morning was very nice as well. The car park was directly across from the hotel and was was given a good rate through the hotel. Easy walk to the castle and around the downtown. Would definitely return!

Dear zippiSuperior,

I'm delighted that you ended up with us after your long flight. I appreciate you very positive review and I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your vacation in Ireland as much as Kilkenny.

Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Nice hotel. Great location. Friendly staff. Asked for a quiet room and it was no problem. The pool was lovely and the breakfast was nice. The room was 4* standard. Car parking right next door to hotel at very good rate.

Room Tip: Staff more than happy to oblige when a quiet room was requested.
Dear Eoghan O,

Thank you for your very kind review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor.com.

I'm really glad that you enjoyed your recent weekend break and got to enjoy everything that Kilkenny has to offer.

Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

This hotel has a great central location, a pool, leisure centre, spa, decent breakfast but if you like a good nights sleep its probably best avoided for wknd stays. They have a function room that's doubling as a disco (im writing this from a room on 2nd floor) the music is loud enough to hear all the lyrics of the music and an annoying Irish 'DJ' on a mic after every song. Either he/they has/have a very bad sound system but regardless, there is ZERO soundproofing.

For midweek stays you might get good value but stay away at wknds.

The rest of the hotel - mostly ok. Breakfast is decent. They've a nice size lobby. The pool looks dated. The pool ischanging areas were very dirty. Lockers have key bracelets that seem to be all broken. Showers were cold. We ate in the bar when we arrived because there was a huge wait to check in and the food is hit or miss. (The miss was awful.) I've no prob with the delay to check in it is a busy hotel and be warned there are queues for breakfast.

Overall location is real advantage of staying here. This is our second time and chose because its central and also has a pool. But i woulnt come back or recommend it after this stay to anyone who wants to sleep/ rest. Plenty other options nearby.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank irish_guy8
Dear irish_guy8,

I acknowledge your recent stay at the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel and thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we can maintain our high standards.

It is very important to me that our guests have a good experience throughout the entire hotel and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed, in any way, at what I believe we do best. The least you should expect from a hotel such as ours is to have good night's sleep and I am truly sorry that this was not the case. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any upset or inconvenience we may have caused you and I assure you that it is certainly not the norm here. I have spoken in length, just this morning, with all of my team here and although, it may be of little comfort to you now, I am certain that no future guest will have to experience such disruption and poor standard of service.

I am sorry that you will not recommend us in the future or return, however, if you are in Kilkenny again and have a change of heart please contact me as I would be delighted to look after you and show you every courtesy.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,