“Hospitality from Hell....Italian style”
Review of La Trattoria

La Trattoria
Ranked #81 of 233 Restaurants in Kilkenny
Cuisines: Irish, Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Although only submitting my review now ( had the misfortune to enter premises in October ) I feel as a regular reviewer of restaurants and further more after reading some of the many bad reviews for La Trattoria it is my duty to add my own experience.

To start at the beginning, we were on a short break with family 9 altogether staying at the Riverside Hotel which I can highly recommend for families. We were recommend by a waitress to try La Trattoria which we did on the Tuesday evening. Upon entering the restaurant we found it very empty which we weren't too concerned with as it was a Tuesday. The manager approached and asked how many in our group and we asked for a table for 9. Straight away the manager became very aggressive and said he had no large tables. As I mentioned it was almost empty and plenty of room but the manager did not want to pull up an extra table or chair to accommodate us. As it was late and some of the group where quite old and hungry we decided to stay. Two of the party had to sit at a separate table cut off from the main group.

The food took an eternity to arrive and was just average not special, not what we expected from a genuine Italian establishment more what you would expect from Pizza Hut no offence to Pizza Hut intended. My daughter was left waiting so long for a margarita pizza that everyone else had finished eating. Every time we asked when it would be ready we where brushed off by the less then friendly manager.

Finally after receiving the bill which again was another trial in itself we where handed a scribbled piece of paper with the amount due and told the card machine was out of order and cash only accepted. This can happen sometimes but from what I have heard and other tripadvisor comments this is a regular thing here. Maybe the vat man is due a visit I think.

Overall our visit to La Trattoria was disappointing not because of the food but because of the rude and inhospitable proprietor. As with all bad reviews about this restaurant I look forward to the managers feeble attempt to pass the blame to someone else or call myself and my family a bunch of wasters. Either way I now feel better getting my dining experience at La Trattoria off my chest. On a lighter note we had a great lunch at Kytlers Bar in the town, complete opposite to La Trattoria very friendly and helpful and great value.

6  Thank Seamus D
Marco P, Manager at La Trattoria, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Hi I am Marco Perrozzi the manger of La Trattoria

I see that you took your time to reply as if you where not happy you would have made sure to reply as soon as you can.

But you have said I was working that night when i wasn't dont mind me pointing out as i was on placement for college on it was not posable for me to be there on said night.

There was a large table made up for you as it was a busy night and you where asked was it ok if 2 of your kids set on the table next to you and you said you where fine with it as on the night the owner was joking with and you where joking with him after reviewing the CCTV

The card machine was down i am sorry to tell you i have Proof from UPC over the changing of our line to a new IP address based line for our card machine to make sure that its not posable for anyone to hack the machine and take you card details. Or Machine was down for 3 weeks because of this and we lost a lot of customers thanks to UPC and taking 10 days to come out and upgrade or line. I have said this in countless other reviews and our Facebook page about the problem.

And with you saying that i am going to call you a bunch of wasters i am shocked at this never once in my life i have called anyone that on a review. With the review you have giving i just deeply shocked that this is maybe the worst i have read and saying I will call you names just shocked at this problem.

I would love to speak to you again about this problem if you would kindly drop a mail to me on your Facebook page.

But i will say Kytlers Bar is not the same kind of place at all.

Regards
Marco Perrozzi

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Upon recommendation from a friend my partner and I visited this restaurant.

We arrived to find the place busy enough, but not hectic. We were given a table literally right at the front door in quite a bad draught. I asked the proprietor would it be possible if we could sit at another table available. I was told as this was set for six it wouldn't be possible. (It was so cold I had to put my coat back on). Fair enough it was a Saturday night, we hadn't booked and the chance of a party of 6 arriving was worth more to him than us two however this was not what set the negative tone for the visit it was the manner in which the proprietor spoke to us, simply abrupt and rude. When a table for two became available we asked could we move and we were.

After waiting quite a while there was no sign of our food, I asked the frazzled waiter would it be much longer, he advised me he would have to ask in the kitchen, he never returned with an answer. I approached the service desk to ask and again spoke to the proprietor, he advised me that it was in the oven, that was it, no apology, nothing!

We were in the restaurant over an hour before our food arrived. A simple pizza and poultry dish. Throughout that time we were not once approached to be advised that they were under pressure with time, staff etc. or offered bread, just simply ignored. It was clear to see the waiter serving us was inexperienced and not sure of what he was doing, but to be fair to him unlike the proprietor he was always polite.

Our food finally arrived. Things were going from bad to worse at this stage, my partner had asked for no mushrooms on his pizza, the pizza presented to him was covered in mushrooms. He reminded the waiter that he asked for no mushrooms, the waiter apologised, took the food back and came back to advise us the chef made a mistake. The wait was on once again for our order. Ten minutes later the fresh pizza arrived along with my dish.

The food itself was okay, I can't really fault it. It was average Italian for the price we were paying. As soon as we finished we went to pay.

I cannot stress enough the manner in which I was spoken to by this proprietor, as a customer I have never been treated with such disrespect & ignorance so much so that I was quite upset after leaving. As soon as we approached the desk he was saying they were busy & understaffed etc. I think there was a small sorry in there too along with all his excuses. I advised him that we waited over an hour then got the wrong order. He said he would give my coke for free, bearing in mind beside him were 2lts bottles of coke where my coke probably came from. I advised him that did not seem appropriate considering our experience, I said I am very disappointed and handed him my card to pay. I expected that would be it, but he went on to speak to me in a very aggressive tone saying that he has to pay for the food, that they were very busy and understaffed. I replied saying at the end of the day that's fair enough but the customer shouldn't suffer. He continued to speak to me in a seriously aggressive tone explaining that when we leave he has to wait too and wash up after us and that when he goes to a restaurant he has to wait!!!!! I was literally gobsmacked at this stage I turned on my heels and walked out. I was shaking, I could not believe how I was treated and became quite upset. Never in my life have I received such an appalling service,

Please think twice before visiting this restaurant, No one deserves to be treated like this by such a ignorant, incapable and thankless proprietor. Also, have a look and he responses to other negative comments on here from him, a true and accurate example of the type of business man he his and what consideration his has for his customers and his restaurants reputation.

On a side note, there was a waitress whom we did not have any interaction with on the night although when sitting at our first table I had a view of the kitchen and I could see her picking at food and chewing while walking out onto the restaurant floor.

5  Thank RMPM89

Hi there i am Marco Perrozzi the Manager of LA Trattoria

I am sorry that your meal was not up to your standards but i will make a few points over having to be set on the window table. As we where fully booked that night and you walked of the St and we done our best on that cold night to make sure you had a table. The table of 6 was for 6 people witch was booked.

As i was not working on the floor that night there was no control on the floor with what orders the other staff have to do as i have spent countless times training them to have a high standard that i am looking for but they dont seem to be able to do anything that they are told.

As with the wait time for the Pizza as its cooked fresh 10 mins is a great time on a Busy Saturday night no matter what other place you would go to.

Yes we where busy and understaff i was unable to work that night and i count for 3 people on the floor as i make sure everything is as a high standard. But that night you have to have understand the Chef and owner my father was doing 3 jobs and its not easy doing 3 jobs on a busy night.

I have reviewed the CCTV of the stuff that night. But the person in question who seen eating was the Commie Chef who was making sure that the food was ok to go on the table witch in any place chefs will be trying there food before they send it out

I am sorry that you had a bad experience on the night but if wish to on a quitter night vist again as i will make sure you are looked after 100%

Regards
Marco Perrozzi

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Came with friends for a Christmas catchup for the early bird. Its one of the best early birds in town and is very tasty too!! We all enjoyed very much. .Thanks!

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Home made pasta makes this place a treat. Food was delightful and offered exceptionally good value. Service was friendly and laid back. Would definitely return.

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I like reading reviews on TripAdvisor to see what other peoples opinions are of a place but never take them into consideration, it is up to yourself to make your mind up about a place. Why should a few not so good reviews put you off trying a new place. Since coming here myself and my partner have become regulars, we absolutely love the food here and have since our first visit where we were welcomed with a warm greeting. The food is always cooked to perfection and service has always been very attentive but not invasive, the way it shoulf be. I highly recommend this restaurant for authentic italian cuisine. Yumm!!