“Bad Service but food was lovely”

Statham's Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #50 of 243 Restaurants in Kilkenny
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our laid back style and hospitality, great selection of wines and cocktails, live entertainment and our city centre location makes us a popular choice for guests and Kilkenny residents alike. Whether you're popping in for a coffee and a homemade scone, brunch after a lazy morning, catching up with friends over lunch or afternoon tea, enjoying a romantic meal for two or looking for a great night out with live music each weekend, Statham's Bar and Restaurant has just the spot for you. Our unique cocktail menu has a sparkling of ingenuity, a measure of creativity and a splash of inspiration from our 1930s racing heritage. The menu is curated by international award-winning mixologist Darren Geraghty. We take pride in our precise techniques, homemade syrups and infusions and our fresh fruit and juices mean that our cocktails are bursting with fresh, vibrant flavours.
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Me and my partner were both on our day off so we decided go for a lunch somewhere in town.
After reading all the great reviews about Pembroke hotel we decided to go to Statham's Bar & Grill and what a disappointment we had :(
When we went in we noticed that there was only 3 tables occupied and 2 waitresses so we thought it was great and that the service will reasonably fast because we wanted to have our lunch and go. After we got our menus from the bar, we were waiting for 10 min and nobody came to take the orders or explain what the specials were so my partner went to the bar and gave the order. When he came back he said that the girl looked a bit annoyed and indeed she was cos when I looked at her she was looking at us, saying something to the other girl throwing the docket book with a attitude. The drinks in the bar don't come with a standard slice of lemon in so I have asked one of the girls for slice three times and she brought me back a lime :/ I have asked if they out of lemons she said no and then she brought me one - after forth time !!!
Anyway my partner ordered soup which he said it was nice but I din't have a starter. We were waiting for somebody to clean the plate for 15 min, tried to catch the girls eye but they were avoiding us. I decided to go to toilet but I wasn't sure where it is so I have asked the girl ( think her name was Lorraine) behind the bar and she has rolled her eyes with a big attitude and said " down the corridor" with a face on.
We got our main courses and it was fish of the day - Salmon and mushroom pasta which were both lovely.
I was very upset at the time so when the manager came over and asked if everything is ok I explained the situation to him.He was very understanding and he wanted to comp our meals but we didn't agree because I didn't complain to get a freebie but to pinpoint the bad service so they can improve.
We didn't want to continue and order our desserts so we just paid and left.
I really don't know why the girls were acting so rude and unprofessional.
I am really sorry to say that I will never go back again :(

1  Thank malibugirl86

Reviewed September 8, 2011

Lovely food, excellent service. We dined at short notice with a group of 12 ages ranging from 6 to 59. Great kids food as well as adults. Everyone had a great time. Fish choice excellent and I loved the peach tart tatine.

1  Thank Spikethecat17
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We had lunch here just after we arrived at the hotel. excellent choice, good service. Great for a good bar meal

Reviewed June 21, 2011

There were four of us for dinner on sunday last. We really loved the both statham's bar and restaurant. For started we had soup, tiger prawns, blue cheese starter and the experience of chicken. None of us were dissappointed. My dad said it was the best soup he has EVER had. We all had steak for main course. Only complaint would be lack of vegetables but meat was perfectly cooked. Deserts we had creme brulée and the vanilla/stawberry cheesecake again excellent. Would have no hesitations in reccommending this restaurant to anyone and will defenitely be back considering it is so close to home.

1  Thank fluffy2102
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We went here for our anniversary - we were staying in the Pembroke Hotel that it's a part of - and we weren't disappointed.

The service was very good, with the waiters ensuring we had everything we needed, and when the wrong starter came out, they were very quick to take it back and get the right one while apologising profusely.

The atmosphere is nice - it's a relatively small dining room and the lighting/ambience is well judged.

The food was fantastic - I had the Experience of chicken (I think it was called), which was 4 or so different ways of cooking a chicken based starter. It was all really well executed and went together very well.

The steak we had for the main course was velvety smooth and melted in the mouth, and the portion sizes were decent so you weren't left feeling you'd been short-changed.

So I would definitely recommend this if you're in town, well worth the money.

1  Thank TWH_UK