“average but not great”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2013

we ate here because it was rated so highly on TripAdvisor, it was nice but just that, nice.
There was nothing particularly special, the food was okay but not the best italien i've had.
They staff were pleasant and the lady behind the little counter was very chatty and friendly!
good value at €120 for four of us, but i wouldn't be back.
A bit of background music would be nice instead of silence!

There are newer reviews for La Rivista

Reviewed March 29, 2013

This restaurant is amazing!! It is the perfect place to have a romantic, casual, celebratory meal in a really nice setting without paying too much!! The staff are so friendly, the food is very very tasty, and it is cooked to perfection. It is located centrally in Kilkenny, so it is ideal for a meal before a night out.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

when ever we decide to go out for dinner with family La Rivista is always on top of the list! The food is simple but always outstanding. The staff are helpful and kind. You can get a kids portion of anything on the menu. Great for families i would highly recommend la Rivista!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My boyfriend & I were in Kilkenny for a weekend break & I decided to book la rivista for Saturday evening given the rave reviews on TA.

Pros

The restaurant offers really great value and a varied choice of food (both traditional Italian fare & other dishes you don't necessarily expect to see on an Italian restaurant's menu)

As a couple we were given a nice table by the window away from all the groups that were also dining there of which there were 2/3 hen nights & another large birthday party.

Starters & coffees were great. Staff were really accommodating & friendly. Very attentive service.

Cons

I think this is a great restaurant if you're with a big group or looking for a pleasant, great value meal. I already knew this from TA however I didn't realise that while the restaurant offers both of these things, it's not necessarily the most romantic of restaurants. I was struck that nobody on TA had mentioned that along the whole right hand wall of the restaurant is a stainless steel workstation where dirty glasses are left to be washed for instance.

The red wine glasses were not very large but that's just a personal preference of mine. Not a huge selection of Italian wines either (which given the ratings I assumed there would be).

Foodwise, both my boyfriend & I had pizza for our main & while it was pleasant, it certainly didn't live up to the rave reviews I have seen here. I think we would have been better off with one of the specials judging by the food that was coming out. Certainly not a meal we'll reminisce about in months to come, however it might just have been our choices of mains on the night..

If I were to be back in Kilkenny I would possibly venture in for a Sunday lunch/quick bite on a Friday eve..however if it's romance,atmosphere & food that is out of the ordinary that I'm looking for I'd give it a skip..

2  Thank Jill_Dublin_12
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Food is superb, staff are friendly and efficient. Couldnt ask for a better experience. A must for any traveller to Kilkenny who likes Italian food. Make sure to book as it can be very busy.