“Castle louge”

Castle Lodge B&B
Castle Lodge B&B
Ranked #51 of 75 Kilkenny B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Nice b +b. hosts couldn't been nicer. The only thing was the breakfast was small but overall nicest b n b in Ireland hygiene 10/10. When u arrive the couldn't welcome you more because they show you to your room and offer you tea and coffe. They are very good hosts and I would really recommend anyone with a family to vist this b+b because it will suit their needs very well

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 16, 2012

While traveling to Ireland in 2011, my family and I had a mix up with our travel arrangements, and just ended up stumbling across the Castle Lodge. Even with us just dropping in, the proprietor Liam had no trouble putting us up for the night, and was gracious enough to allow us the use of his phone to call our travel agents and put back together the rest of our trip. As for value and rooms... Is not that the price was outstanding, or the rooms disappointing but I wouldn't call it a great value for the money either. They were quite clean, but were plain and cramped, although I was very pleased to find that the bathroom was enormous. Set back just enough from the road and with a very well appreciated rule on silence after hours, I slept like a babe in arms. Also a perfect location, just a short ride or walk to Kilkenny Castle and the city centre. Breakfast was quick and well prepared, with four choices for an entree, and some nice accoutrements for a
little variety. All in all nothing sterling about the rooms, but the location and hosts outstanding hospitality and helpfulness make this a win in my book.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I recently stayed here with a group of friends for a night. The beds were so uncomfortable, they must be years old, really lumpy and my pillow was as flat as a pancake. There were three beds, and three girls in our room. There were only 3 bathtowels. No towels for washing your hair. I feel that that's something basic, It was a huge pain to have to go downstairs and ask for more towels when you're just about to hop in the shower. The bulb in the lamp beside my bed didn't work and the light in the room was really bad, when I was trying to put my make up on ! The outer bed covers had seen better days and had stains on them. The carpet in the entrance hallway and landing were really dirty and badly stained, lots of scuffs on the walls in the landing. This place needs to be repainted and recarpeted. When we complained about the lumpy beds the next day the owner thought it was funny. I suppose with the amount of tourist traffic in Kilkenny the owners feel that there isnt much need to work hard for the business which is a pity. I also barely got a parking space as there were lots of other people staying here. I Definitely wouldnt stay here again. I recommend you go somewhere else !

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jillian M
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We planned a two week vacation to Ireland starting March 11th. We did not have plans for lodging before we came as we wanted to wing it and not have restrictions. Upon going through Kilkenny, we discovered this B&B. It was mid evening, and we thought the B&B stuck out very nicely due to the nicely paved, no fee, parking lot. It was lit and the building was nicely painted along with a wall around the parking lot. We got to the B&B around 5:30 and were greeted after ringing the door bell by Liam. He was very friendly and informed us of everything including places to go to for the evening before he saw us off for the night. The room was ok...nothing outstanding...little smell, and some cobwebs in the cieling...but the rest seemed ok. Decent sized room for paying 65.50 euro (32.50 per person). We woke up in the morning for a very good breakfast...continental breakfast with 4 different options to choose from for a main course as well. We did not know the area well so we stayed for a second night just due to the fact we didnt want to get into anything worse....Free Wifi too. Liam was very helpful to us with taking the time to ensure we had a good stay as well as giving us good insight on where to go for food and pubs and sights to see while there....All in all...only complaint would be the weird smell in the room we had on the first floor, and maybe the not so very cleanliness..if coming into the area for a night or two...definitely a good spot with close walking distance to downtown...anything more than that....you may want to find other accomodations.

From: Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cbarr138
Reviewed May 15, 2010

Lovely B&B & great location. It was perfect as it was in walking distance of the city. The room was clean & comfortable with great showers. Stayed here for 2 nights over the May bank holiday weekend with friends. Great selection for breakfast. Liam, the host was very friendly and helpful. Would recommend Kilkenny as a good place to visit - plenty of things to do, lovely restaurants and some great pubs.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2010

I spent one very uncomfortable and uncared for night here in a downstairs room, looking down the driveway. When the friendly enough owner showed me into the room before teatime it was freezing cold in both temperature and gemutlichheit but looked functional. I wrongly assumed the heating would come on at teatime but returned around 11:30 pm to find it was literally freezing and smelt of damp. Instead of curtains, the wooden venetian didn't close in either direction (then discovered the windows and blind itself had black mould growing on them). There were neither curtains nor blind on the (downstair) bathroom window. The TV reception was verging on too poor to watch and the cobwebs dangling from all over the ceiling were distracting! It was so very cold that I ended up in bed with an improvised bed hat and socks on and mind you, I'm accustomed to a cold enough climate! I would have left at that point,had it not been too late to book in anywhere else. I tried to contact the owner but everything was locked up. An emergency contact no was given in fairness, but my phone was out of juice. Next morning I decided it would be too stressful to me to confront the owner about everything but I did tell him how disappointed I was about the extreme lack of heat. He assured me that the heat had been on and suggested I had turned the radiator off. I work with domestic and industrial heating systems and assured him that he should go and check it with me still there - he did and said it was heating up but could have been hotter. It was freezing cold - either the radiator was broken or there was no heat on in that circuit. He still expected me to pay 35 Euro for the night - so! Just be aware. Also breakfast is served quite late, which means a lot of guests have to leave unfed.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank BINKY505
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at Castle Lodge. The rooms were very clean and the walk from the B&B into the center of Kilkenny was a pleasant 10 or 15 minutes. Liam, the host, was very helpful in recommending sightseeing in the area. The breakfast was excellent also.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends