“More diner than fine dining” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Foodworks

Foodworks
Ranked #31 of 216 Restaurants in Kilkenny
Cuisines: European, Irish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A high ceiling, airy space with a bright, fresh look which matches the style of cooking. Unfussy dishes using quality local produce, including our own home reared, free range pork and vegetables from the experienced chef owner's farm. Having won "Best Casual Dining" in the Irish Restaurant Awards for Leinster & recommended by Michelin Guide 2014, 2015 & 2016. We aim to offer our customers a relaxed and casual dining experience with quality the key to everything we do. Sourcing our produce locally with Hereford beef, fresh fish and seafood from Duncannon. We also have local craft O Hara's IPA and falling apple cider on draught, in addition we have an extensive wine list and a wide selection of spirits, ports and cocktails
“More diner than fine dining”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

The atmosphere is cold and stark, like sitting in a cafeteria with white walls and cold wooden chairs. The food is nice enough but overpriced. Staff were friendly. I won't be returning.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bruce0503

• Greek first
Ireland
“Really nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

A really nice and friendly place to eat in the heart of Killenny City.

The food and choice is excellent and well price.

Importantly the staff are good as well.

Foodworks hits all the right stops. Good food, good service, good staff, good venue and great loaction.

They do the core things well and you cannot go wrong with a visit.

Try the beef, well worth coming back for.

• Visited December 2012
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Disapointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We visited Foodworks in the hope to enjoy the newer surroundings and food as much as in the previous premises. How disappointed we were. They have stopped doing the fabulous breakfast/brunch, and I thought the food we had was uninteresting and overpriced. The venue is very stark and cold, both physically and in its decor. We arrived just as it was opening and staff were still washing the floors, and the smell of floor cleaner and disenfectant was not pleasant. We have not been back since and I dont imagine we will be returning.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rosie-bow
London
“Real gourmet dining - delicious and rare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Steak is such a staple on Irish dinner menus that I've come to expect the same treatment no matter where I eat it. Like the rain, you can be guaranteed steak will be an ever-present fixture and generally the same lazily prepared slab, satisfying in itself because its steak but steak is steak is steak, if you know what I mean. So Foodworks genuinely surprised me. My ribeye turned up masquerading as a fillet, oozing with flavour and pleasantly upsetting my expectations of just another steak. It was butter soft in texture, rich in depth and - thank goodness - satisfyingly hearty in size. I haven't had meat of that quality since my last trip to the Hawksmoor in London. I think Foodworks may - outrageously - have shaded it by resisting the heavy-hand with the salt.

Oh - and you must be dying to know by now - how was it cooked? Medium-rare, as I ordered it.

The dining room is modern, elegant and relaxed at once, a bit like eating at a particularly tasteful friends home. It's quite compact but the tables are nicely spaced so you can enjoy the buzz of conversation and engage in a spot of nosy neighbouring without sitting on the lap of your fellow diners. I went with a group of close friends and our exuberant (i.e. noisy) story-telling and bantering didn't send the elderly couple at the next table running whilst cursing the youth of today as I feared it might!

Now I didn't just pitch up, have a steak and go. Like any person who has had a good dinner, I realised there was potential for good dessert. I was disappointed to find a brief dessert menu with two similar sounding chocolate options and a few other items but no sticky toffee pudding. I settled for the chocolate terrine and a coffee. It didn't look much but it was immense - the strong dark chocolate was toned down a berry sauce and complimented by ice cream crowned with a piece of chewy, gorgeous honeycomb. That bit of honeycomb was the proper icing on the cake. It was the kind of dessert you'd go back for, redirecting your lunch meetings and dinner engagements there innocently so you could satisfy the craving for this rich, intense chocolate monolith. Like I said - it wasn't devilishly handsome to look at, but more a slow burner that creeps up on you until your consumed by it - the Mr. Rochester of the dessert world.

One thing to note - Foodworks is on Parliament Street. I think the address here on trip advisor was from an old location. I've been twice now, both times I've been back in Kilkenny from London and it was lovely each time. I recommend it and hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

1 Thank kilkennygal
“A real find - we will return!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Our friend recommended this restaurant and it was truly fantastic!

Everything was superb, we were all really pleased!

• 4 of 5 bubbles