“Nicest folk in Ireland!”

MacGabhainns Backpacker Hostel
chicago, illinois
“Nicest folk in Ireland!”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I spent one evening in Kilkenny and I wish I had spent more at Mac Gabhainns! The staff were incredibly nice, attentive, and accommodating. They came out of the hostel and into the street to check where my friend and I parked to tell us if we would be ok or not. They gave of us the restaurant and music scene information we needed which allowed us to have a brilliant evening. Also, I mistakenly left my eye glasses behind and sure enough they held onto them and mailed them to the Dublin address that I was staying at! Purely amazing and very willing to go out of their way for their guests:)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank chicloi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Spent here one night during my solo trip through Ireland in Sep 2011. The hostel is located 5 mins from the downtown Kilkenny with all its pubs and shops and places of interest. It was quite easy to find (I walked from the bus station and followed info from the net). Bed was comfortable and there was an electrical outlet at my bed so it was easy to plugin a laptop. The room was ensuite and I enjoyed that managers paid attention to such details as an air freshener in the toilet room. Basic breakfast was included; tea and coffee available at any time; milk in refrigerator. There shower was great, no need to press button every 30 seconds. Wi-fi worked perfectly both in lobby and in my room. I've even got a map of Kilkenny. Thanks to manager Loraine, the owner Raymond and his nice dogs Tilda and Sonny! One of hostels that I liked most during my trips to Ireland.

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

Great owner. Cozy hostel. Great place to meet a lot of people. We all went out one night. Clean enough rooms. Glad we got the room with bathroom in it as those in dorms shared two bathrooms and there was a wait for them. No problems here.... Hot showers. Good pressure. Average beds for a hostel. At night it was noisy because it's next to a main road so had trouble sleeping, but not a problem for my husband who had a lot to drink

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank JennandPaul M
Melbourne
Reviewed June 1, 2012

The guys who run this place are some pretty sketchy fellows. One of the gentlemen on the staff, Fergus, tried to propostition my girlfriend to have sex with him when I was not there. Displeased, I asked the manager if he saw anything wrong with this, if he considered it to be unprofessional or if he thought it was socially acceptable for a member of staff- a host- to pressure a woman travelling alone in a foreign country to cheat. Unable to articulate an intelligible response, he tried to assault me, jabbed his finger in my face, forgot what he was going to say and told me to get out. A real gem.
If you are a woman and have any concerns about where to stay, please be safe, and find somewhere else to spend the night.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank glockpod
, Owner at MacGabhainns Backpacker Hostel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
This review is total slander, we here at MacGabhainns are very polite and respectful of all our guests, this guy was very jealous and paraniod about his girlfriend talking with management and other guests over lunch. We actually got afraid of this individual and showed him the door and his girlfriend was totally apologetic for his actions. Regards MacGabhainns
Ballynoe, Co. Cork, Ireland
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Spent 1 night in this Hostel and the noise from traffics and other guests was appalling. There are signs everywhere stating to be quiet after 11pm..at 1am we have other guests roaring and shouting. Also the location is just too far out of town unfortunately.

Room Tip: Rooms near shower at the back is quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steve C
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed here last year, so I suppose things could have changed since then. For the price, it is decent. It's clean, the beds are nice, the owner is SO NICE. However, the breakfast is mediocre and the showers aren't great. Worst of all, one night when we were there the hostel was basically broken into. We were sharing a room with a group of girls, and around 2 am they came back to the hostel plastered. Some men forced their way into the hostel with the girls, came into our room, and actually got in our beds. The police were called, fights ensued, and the whole ordeal lasted a few hours. I got no sleep and worst of all I felt violated and threatened. Where was the owner!!?!?

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Helen P
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Stayed here recently with a group of friends. Upon arriving we asked where the advertised free parking was... to be told its ok park in the pay and display, nothing will happen. To be fair over the three days nothing happened but still felt risky and a bit misled!!
Beds were very comfortable i must say and had a great sleeps on both nights, there was absolutely no noise, and I am an extremely light sleeper!!!
When we arrived, another group had cancelled and so the young man in charge, upgraded us all to a lovely en-suite. Delighted!
They are a bit cheap on the hot water as by the 4th shower the first morning, the remainder had to have cold showers.......and if we got told to turn off the light ONE MORE TIME.......................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!
Overall a very good stay, we weren't looking for anything fancy, so we were happy out, and had a great time!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends