MacGabhainns Backpacker Hostel
$222
Hotel Kilkenny(Kilkenny)
$205
$184
Kilkenny Inn Hotel(Kilkenny)(Great Value!)
$183
  • Restaurant
$248
  • Restaurant
Kilford Arms Hotel(Kilkenny)(Great Value!)
$154
$136
Hotels.com
$296
$204
Aspect Hotel Kilkenny(Kilkenny)(Great Value!)
$153
Lyrath Estate(Kilkenny)
$261
$239
Orbitz.com
Zuni Hotel(Kilkenny)
TripAdvisor
All reviewskey codegreat kitchenbig kitchenone nightlocated minscommon rooma nice place to stayporridgeclean roomsfirst stopnext morningcentral locationfergusbedsshowerwifidishwasher
Reviewed June 1, 2012

The guys who run this place are some pretty sketchy fellows. One of the gentlemen on the staff, Fergus, tried to propostition my girlfriend to have sex with him when I was not there. Displeased, I asked the manager if he saw anything wrong with this, if he considered it to be unprofessional or if he thought it was socially acceptable for a member of staff- a host- to pressure a woman travelling alone in a foreign country to cheat. Unable to articulate an intelligible response, he tried to assault me, jabbed his finger in my face, forgot what he was going to say and told me to get out. A real gem.
If you are a woman and have any concerns about where to stay, please be safe, and find somewhere else to spend the night.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank glockpod
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

This review is total slander, we here at MacGabhainns are very polite and respectful of all our guests, this guy was very jealous and paraniod about his girlfriend talking with management and other guests over lunch. We actually got afraid of this individual and showed him the door and his girlfriend was totally apologetic for his actions. Regards MacGabhainns

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Spent 1 night in this Hostel and the noise from traffics and other guests was appalling. There are signs everywhere stating to be quiet after 11pm..at 1am we have other guests roaring and shouting. Also the location is just too far out of town unfortunately.

Room Tip: Rooms near shower at the back is quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve C
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed here last year, so I suppose things could have changed since then. For the price, it is decent. It's clean, the beds are nice, the owner is SO NICE. However, the breakfast is mediocre and the showers aren't great. Worst of all, one night when we were there the hostel was basically broken into. We were sharing a room with a group of girls, and around 2 am they came back to the hostel plastered. Some men forced their way into the hostel with the girls, came into our room, and actually got in our beds. The police were called, fights ensued, and the whole ordeal lasted a few hours. I got no sleep and worst of all I felt violated and threatened. Where was the owner!!?!?

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Helen P
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Stayed here recently with a group of friends. Upon arriving we asked where the advertised free parking was... to be told its ok park in the pay and display, nothing will happen. To be fair over the three days nothing happened but still felt risky and a bit misled!!
Beds were very comfortable i must say and had a great sleeps on both nights, there was absolutely no noise, and I am an extremely light sleeper!!!
When we arrived, another group had cancelled and so the young man in charge, upgraded us all to a lovely en-suite. Delighted!
They are a bit cheap on the hot water as by the 4th shower the first morning, the remainder had to have cold showers.......and if we got told to turn off the light ONE MORE TIME.......................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!
Overall a very good stay, we weren't looking for anything fancy, so we were happy out, and had a great time!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2011

It's a very simple but cozy hostel. Staff are very friendly , there's a big kitchen (clean and tidy) and the beds were ok. Nice place to meet people. I want to point 3 things that were disappointing:
-Showers: The shower was changing from hot to cold every 5 seconds. It was awful. I talked to to other guests and they told me that the same happens to the other showers. Told the manager and I was kind of ignored...
-Heating: The heater in our bedroom wasn't working. I told the manager. Nothing happened.
-Breakfast: way too poor. tea, coffee, corn flakes ,bread butter, jam( taste like expired...)
I think 18.50 wasn't a reasonable price for what I got. I've been to cheaper and nice places in Ireland.

Room Tip: Try to get an ensuite bedroom
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank labelladejour
macgabhainn, Owner at MacGabhainns Backpacker Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Hi there, at the time of your stay there was a problem with the water pump and this effected the normal running of our power showers. The problem was rectified as soon as we could get a plumber. We advised all of our guests at the time of the problem and we wish to apologise once again.
Thanks