“Too far from town centre”

MacGabhainns Backpacker Hostel
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Spent 1 night in this Hostel and the noise from traffics and other guests was appalling. There are signs everywhere stating to be quiet after 11pm..at 1am we have other guests roaring and shouting. Also the location is just too far out of town unfortunately.

Room Tip: Rooms near shower at the back is quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve C

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed here last year, so I suppose things could have changed since then. For the price, it is decent. It's clean, the beds are nice, the owner is SO NICE. However, the breakfast is mediocre and the showers aren't great. Worst of all, one night when we were there the hostel was basically broken into. We were sharing a room with a group of girls, and around 2 am they came back to the hostel plastered. Some men forced their way into the hostel with the girls, came into our room, and actually got in our beds. The police were called, fights ensued, and the whole ordeal lasted a few hours. I got no sleep and worst of all I felt violated and threatened. Where was the owner!!?!?

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Helen P
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Stayed here recently with a group of friends. Upon arriving we asked where the advertised free parking was... to be told its ok park in the pay and display, nothing will happen. To be fair over the three days nothing happened but still felt risky and a bit misled!!
Beds were very comfortable i must say and had a great sleeps on both nights, there was absolutely no noise, and I am an extremely light sleeper!!!
When we arrived, another group had cancelled and so the young man in charge, upgraded us all to a lovely en-suite. Delighted!
They are a bit cheap on the hot water as by the 4th shower the first morning, the remainder had to have cold showers.......and if we got told to turn off the light ONE MORE TIME.......................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!
Overall a very good stay, we weren't looking for anything fancy, so we were happy out, and had a great time!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2011

It's a very simple but cozy hostel. Staff are very friendly , there's a big kitchen (clean and tidy) and the beds were ok. Nice place to meet people. I want to point 3 things that were disappointing:
-Showers: The shower was changing from hot to cold every 5 seconds. It was awful. I talked to to other guests and they told me that the same happens to the other showers. Told the manager and I was kind of ignored...
-Heating: The heater in our bedroom wasn't working. I told the manager. Nothing happened.
-Breakfast: way too poor. tea, coffee, corn flakes ,bread butter, jam( taste like expired...)
I think 18.50 wasn't a reasonable price for what I got. I've been to cheaper and nice places in Ireland.

Room Tip: Try to get an ensuite bedroom
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank labelladejour
macgabhainn, Owner at MacGabhainns Backpacker Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Hi there, at the time of your stay there was a problem with the water pump and this effected the normal running of our power showers. The problem was rectified as soon as we could get a plumber. We advised all of our guests at the time of the problem and we wish to apologise once again.
Thanks
Ray MacGabhainn

Reviewed September 16, 2011

After reading one of the prior reviews about owner's behavior I am pretty shocked... Doesn't sound at all like the person we met who was very nice and polite...
stayed in a 6 bed dorm... decent sized room...
Breakfast was basic, not as good as average hostel one (maybe because it was such a small hostel), but it was free so no real complaints there...
The town is pretty small so any location would have been central... everywhere we went was under 15 minutes away walking...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I spent 3 days in Kilkenny, Ireland in this wonderful hostel. It's quite a walk from the main bus station but you can't miss it. It's totally green :)

It has about 5 rooms and 2 bathrooms with a very cosy interior. I felt very welcome and a bit like being at home. There's a grandma-style living room with a fireplace and armchairs with dangerously thick fillings ;)

It is run by a local guy an his dog is around all the time, welcoming guests and eager playing with them. The kitchen is very well equipped and clean.

There's a supermarket 5 minutes away and the main shopping street is about 8 minutes by foot.

I enjoyed my stay very much and definitely will return sometime.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Myself and a girlfriend stayed here for one night in September. It was very clean, and quiet, and the staff was very nice. We arrived fairly late at night, and the gentleman who helped us was very understanding and kind. It is a good location - near a busy street of bars and restaurants. We drove to Kilkenny, so there was also a lot of street parking nearby.
I would stay here again the next time I'm in Kilkenny.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends